Author Topic: Melbourne Market Gardeners  (Read 25428 times)

Offline miggins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne Market Gardeners
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boaman

Yes, my Harry Jackson (born about 1865) was the son of Edmund Jackson (born about 1835).   Harry's brother was also Edmund (born about 1871).   I assume you have found the family in the 1881 Census - I found them on familysearch - they lived in North Street.   Just in passing, my Great Uncle Bill Beardsley married an Ada Jackson - any relative???

My main interest is in the Beardsley and Briers families but will keep you informed of any more connections. 

How do you get the list of names to appear at the bottom of your postings???   I'm pretty new at using rootschat so some of it is still a mystery!!!

Regards
Ashmore, Kings Newton, Derbyshire. Briers, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Beardsley, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Dawson, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Poxon, Melbourne, Derbyshire.
Bartlett, Evershot, Dorset. Honeybun, Broadwindsor, Dorset. Cleal, Dorset. Wills, Somerset/Dorset.
Loud, Devon/Dorset. Gillett, Dorset. Withers, Berkshire.

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 November 08 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Miggins

I have Edmund's DOB as 05/05/1834 - don't recall how I came across it - I really should list all my references... I don't have anything for Harry other than census info so it's a guess.

I've not got an Ada Jackson in my tree but she could come off one of the branches I've not researched... only last week I found out my Gt Gt Grandfather had a 3rd wife and 8 more kids ! - just when you think you are reaching the rend of the line  :) If only.

Do you have a second wife for Edmund? - I was told that Edmund married Fanny Hulse in 1880, she had a son, William Hulse aged 12 in the 1881 census. They were living in North Street/ Alma Street.

To add names to the bottom of your postings - First click on your name in the posting above or click on the grey profile button across the top of the page - that will take you to your profile page. Then on the left under Modify Profile click on the Roots Chat Profile Information - you can select a picture add your location etc and there is a section to add names and places you are researching.

regards

Boaman
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline miggins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 November 08 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boaman

Thanks for your reply.   Will get back to you soon with some sketchy info. regarding the Hulse connection as I think there are some Hulses in our ancestory!!!

It's a small world eh?!!!

Regards

Miggens
Ashmore, Kings Newton, Derbyshire. Briers, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Beardsley, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Dawson, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Poxon, Melbourne, Derbyshire.
Bartlett, Evershot, Dorset. Honeybun, Broadwindsor, Dorset. Cleal, Dorset. Wills, Somerset/Dorset.

Offline miggins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 November 08 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boaman

Sorry, I don't have any more info. regarding Edmund's possible second marriage to Fanny Hulse.   However, Mum seems to think that we have a Hulse connection possibly through a marriage between James Hulse b. 1868'ish and Edith Collyer in 1893.   James' parents were James Hulse b. 1836'ish and Jemima Hulse b. 1836'ish.   The family lived in Church Street.

I don't know if you know Melbourne at all but there are two Hulse's on the War Memorial - Sydney Hulse son of Harry and Annie Hulse of Church Street and Ernest Hulse son of William and Harriet Hulse.   Sydney was mentioned in the newspapers as being wounded on the last day of WWI - he died on 12th Nov. 1918 and is buried in Cairo War Memorial Cemetery.

Will contact you if I find anything more about the Jacksons.

Thanks for your assistance with adding names to my profile.

Good hunting,

Regards, Miggens

Offline ernestly searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 January 09 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I am related to seemingly a whole host of Market Gardeners from Melbourne, namely Smith, Tilson, Winfield and Horsley amongst others.

My g g aunt, I am told, sold fruit and veg and also 'straw products' (hats etc which she had hand made herself.

I am a descendant of William Horsley and his wife Sarah Sutton who owned a few businesses around Melbourne in the mid 1800s.
Smith, Horsley, Dawson, Toon (of Melbourne, Derbys)
Tilson or Tillson, and Winfield (of Melbourne and Castle Donnington area)
Pinnick (Essex)
Benner (Lincs)
Harris (Deepings)
Wheeldon (Derbys)
Morley (Notts)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 January 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
What datesd do you have for your Sarah Sutton?

I have a Sarah Sutton in my tree but no details on her husband.

I also have a James Horsley and daughter Millicent - she married into the Sutton family.
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 January 09 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I think we may be linked to the same family! I have a Millicent (baptised 1802 and married a Robert Sutton in 1823) in my line.  She was indeed the daughter of James Horsley, and brother of my ggg grandfather, William (baptised 1792, married Sarah Sutton (no dates known))

Would be grateful if we could exchange knowledge!!
Pinnick (Essex)
Benner (Lincs)
Harris (Deepings)
Wheeldon (Derbys)
Morley (Notts)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 January 09 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

yes that's a definate match with me - I have Millicent b c1802 - d 1861 married to Robert Sutton in 1823
Do you have her as the daugther of James Horsley and Ann Brooks?

Robert Sutton was my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather

I actually have two Sarah Suttons one was born c1831 the daughter of Thomas Sutton and Elizabeth Bradley...

The other is Thomas' elder sister she was born 1796 in Hartshorne - this could be a match...

regards
Glyn
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 January 09 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I am 99% positive that it is a match!  In the book written by Richard Osborne, he states that he could not find Sarah's maiden name (I found this by sending for the birth cert of their youngest son, luckily born after registration!) but he also states that she came from Hartshorne, though he has her date of birth as 1793-1795 based on census research. Accounting for census errors etc, this would still be within the realms of probability.

Nice to be in touch cousin  ;D ;D ;D
Pinnick (Essex)
Benner (Lincs)
Harris (Deepings)
Wheeldon (Derbys)
Morley (Notts)