Author Topic: Looking for a needle in a haystack!  (Read 3029 times)

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Looking for a needle in a haystack!
« on: Thursday 01 February 07 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have only been using this site for a few days and am AMAZED at the depth of knowledge (and the speed that some of the questions are answered), so hoping someone can point me in the right direction or confirm that it is a lost cause!!

My gg-grandmother's death cert (1 Apr 1889) states that she was born in Germany (no town  given), with age @ death 73, marriage age 30, father Louis. 
She was Henrietta Meyer.

On her marriage cert from Liverpool (1846)  it states age full, father Henry whose occupation looks like "woolen draper". Her surname on this cert is spelt MYER.

I am guessing that her father's name was Henry/Heinrich as per marriage cert, also her eldest son was Francis Henry. 
Louis may have been her grandfather???

Both the death age and age at marriage give a birth date of c.1816.
I don't even know if she had any siblings...... (highly likely though)

Was there any reason for migration from Germany to Lancashire c.1820-1840?

How does one go about research for German records, or is it too difficult?

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

Bren

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a needle in a haystack!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 07 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi KiwiBren, welcome to Rootschat!

Do you have your great-great-grandmother on any of the England censuses?

Prue

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 07 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue

No I've had no luck in the 1841 census for her, her father, or her future husband.

My g-grandmother was born in Lancashire 1847 and then they must have moved to Ireland as I have been unable to find birth entires for any siblings.

Bren

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 07 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bren,

What was her husband's name, and occupation?  And your g-grandmother's siblings, just in case they are hiding somewhere we can't find them...apart from them being hidden in the BMD and census records, what makes you think the family  moved to Ireland?

Another question (sorry so many!  ;D  ) - where did Henrietta die?

Prue

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 07 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue

Don't apologise for asking questions - it makes me think twice about the info I have and whether it is fact, rumour, or assumption.  I'm just glad of a fresh pair of eyes looking at this.

Henrietta married James Arrowsmith who was a bookkeeper.
He died in Ireland in 1865.

My g-grandmother Liesette was born 1847, Lancs, but her 6 siblings on various birth & death certs state that they were born in Ireland.
The second child was born c.1849/50 if he was honest about his age on marriage cert.

Therefore they went to Ireland after July 1847 and before1850. 
Pity they didn't hang around for the 1851 census....

Henrietta died in Wellington NZ, hence so much info on death cert.

Bren

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 February 07 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Bren-I also have German & Irish ancestry and in each instance it is difficult to find information unless you know the place they came from.
The reason for moving from Germany to England could have been economic.
As far as the name of Henrietta's father- the marriage certificate is probably the correct name (Heinrich/Henry) as Henrietta probably gave that information herself. The death certificate information was given by someone other than Henrietta and mistakes could have been made. My father said once, when asked by my sister, that his grandmothers names were Margaret and Sarah- this he remembered because each had a daughter named after them. Yes, you guessed it, he had the wrong aunts- grandmothers really Mary and Annie!
Anyway, do you know where in Ireland Henrietta and family lived, as there might be sources here in Ireland that would give some information. Also, when did they leave Ireland?
If you post as many details as you can there might be someone here who can help.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 February 07 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey

They lived in Portlaw near Waterford and James worked for the Malcomsons (Quakers) at their mill.

Their eldest son also worked for the Macolmsons as manager of the "Joint Stock Bakery".

Liesette married in Ireland in 1867 & had a son in Southampton (UK) in 1868.
Her husband died at some stage and she arrived in NZ in 1874 on her own - we don't know why....

She met my G-grandfather on the ship, and they married 3 days after arrival.

Various siblings followed, then her mother (Henrietta), eldest brother and his family, and youngest sister arrived in 1878.

Bren

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 07 09:29 GMT (UK) »
I suppose there's a possibility that she arrived in England from Germany on her own...she was 30-ish when she married, and if she didn't go over there before 1841 (assuming that's why she can't be found) then she would have been in her late 20s on emigrating.  Perhaps she left her family behind in Germany?  Just a thought...

It could be that Liesette had met her future husband before going to NZ.  Maybe that's why they both emigrated?  Where was g-grandfather from?

Prue

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 February 07 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue

Yes I have often wondered if she left Germany on her own.
But as she listed her father as a Woollen Draper(?) on her marriage cert I also wondered if that is why they were in Lancashire.

G-grandfather was born in Scotland.
I have him on the 1841 census aged 2 with Mum & siblings.

His father died in 1840 - found inventory in Glasgow court records.

Can't find him for 1851.

1861 census I have him and 2 siblings living in Manchester.

Can't find him for 1871 census.

1874 arrived in NZ - we don't know why he came as there was no other family here and none followed him.

2 of his brothers at various times are listed as clerk/agent for East India Company, so there is the possibility that he also worked for that company and went abroard between 1861 & 1874.....

As far as we know it was a "ship board romance".

Bren.