Author Topic: Please Help-Longevity of Ink Jet Photos  (Read 10457 times)

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please Help-Longevity of Ink Jet Photos
« on: Tuesday 20 February 07 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone knew how long an ink jet photo will last.  I have heard that they will only last from 2 to 10 years.  I want my photos to last much longer than that.

I have an Epson Stylus RX600 all in one printer.  The photos that are printed out on it are good, but I don't know how long they will last.  I would like them to last for at least as long as they would last from a commercial printer.

I have tried getting information on the internet, but so far I haven't been successful in getting anything specific.

Does anyone have any information on this subject?

Thanks

Maple

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help-Longevity of Ink Jet Photos
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Can't really help with any hard facts Maple.......except to say that I have photographs I printed 10 years ago......and they haven't changed at all.

Maybe it depends on where you keep them.....if they are in sunlight or even daylight, they may fade but then all photographs do.

Hope that may put your mind at rest......at least for more than ten years...lol

Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 22:27 GMT (UK) »
For independent test results which might give you the information you want, have a look at http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
For best results with your printer use Epson's own paper and ink. Pigment-based inks last much longer than dye-based ones, and Epson Durabrite inks are said to be of archival quality, but I am not sure if they are available for the Stylus RX600.   However the way the pictures are stored will affect how long they last. Photos in albums will last longer than ones on display and exposed to light.  Since you are printing them yourself, make sure you have them backed-up on CD, then you can reprint if necessary.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Longevity of inkjets vary depending on the inks used and is a subject that is really still open to debate - after all who can claim 100 years when inkjets haven't been around for that long. Certainly tests have been don that subject the prints to excessive amounts of light (particularly uv), these tests do indicate good archival properties and I would think that even the cheaper inks will last somewhat longer than your 2 years. Manufacturers do advise against using inks other than thier own, now how much of that is soley to ensure continuation af thier own sales - who knows?
the best that I can tell you is that pigment inks are better than dye based inks and that as you have an Epsom printer, Epsom inks are considered some of the best.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Tyrone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Millennium Shrimp. "Tied by Me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Somebody gave me a tip several years ago regarding inkjet printing.
Always use inkjet paper that has the same dots per inch (DPI) as the printer. That way you get a perfect match.
If there is no DPI written on the packaging of the paper your buying, then don't buy it.
Buy Epsom paper and you should have a perfect match.
I buy my paper from........ www.ink2paper.com. 220 gram+ Its got all the ranges of DPI.

Hope this helps
John
Briggs - Pontefract
Pennington - Wigan
Martin - Hartley Wintey
Silver - Hartley Wintey - Hampshire

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Does it really matter?
If you have a digital photo then if the original print fades in ten years you could simply print another, by that time the printers will have certainly improved.

I would therefore suggest you ensure all photos are taken at maximum resolution to enable the best possible output in years to come.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea of costs outside Australia - but over here - I find it significantly cheaper to get digital photos professionally printed (rather than pay for paper and ink myself) - but I don't have any idea what is used for same & how long they will last.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all of you for replying.  You have all made me feel better.

I was given this information about the short life of Inkjet Prints from a person in a commercial photo lab. ???

I gave in to a moment of panic thinking that my pictures would all disappear in a few years.   :o
I keep my pictures in acid free storage till I can put them in albums.  I suppose that the only thing that I can do is back them up on CDs, and every few years or so reprint them.  I have been reprinting my old black and white photos that are getting faded and some of my old color prints too.

Maybe in a few  years time, we will have a better knowledge of how long these prints will last, and I suppose that newer and better products will also go on the market.

In the meantime I will take everyone's advice.  I will only use Epson Papers from now on.  I will scan all my pictures into my computer, which will  be a big job, but in the end worth it as I can put them all on CDs.  My scanner is very good and seem
s to always be at maximum resolution.

Hi Trish,  It is cheaper to have new pictures done at professional labs, but I am using my printer to do individual new photos and reprint and hopefully restore old ones.

Thanks again to everyone who answered.

Maple

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maple,
                 I hate to throw a spanner into the works but even CD'S can have
a very limited life.   Always Buy Branded names of quality, like TDK, Sony etc.
Beware of cheap rubbish. Store them as per the manufacturers instructions.

Always look for Archive quality papers,inks and CD's but they are usually expensive.
   Tomkin