Author Topic: David Kirkcaldy's Birthplace HELP  (Read 32188 times)

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Kirkcaldy's Birthplace HELP
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 April 07 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there Kilsyth
Have been trying on IGI (to save money) ;D, and have found 2 Robert Kirkaldys born in Fife namely: Robert born 28/03/1762 Flisk, to David Kirkcaldy and Margaret Meldrum, who were married 06/11/1756 in Kilmany....and Robert born 23/09/1775 Kinghorn to David Kirkaldy and Agnes Vallance (no trace of their marriage).
I suppose it's a case of 'take your pick', both of the fathers are David. which fits the naming pattern which comes down the generations...Robert, David, Robert, David.....
I tried Jean (Jane) Taylor too, but there are just too many of them born in Fife around the same time. :'(
Hope this helps  Jenc
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 April 07 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Kilsyth

Hard to even guess at Robert's parents. As you can see from the posts, Jenc has struggled to find births for this couple's children, so no additional clues from there.

The marriage entry in 1792 in Balmerino is an actual extract from the OPRs. The image of the entry on the Register will be available to view on Scotlands People. Unfortunately, you won't know if it contains any additional info on Robert and Jean until you have a look at it.

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 April 07 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
As you can see from my last post, i've come to a 'wall' again  So frustrating, it certainly gets more difficult the further back the generations go.  Is it just a case of 'take your pick?'  I've come across this on other branches of my tree too :'( Jenc
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 April 07 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenc

Sadly, records do become thinner and thinner on the ground the further back you go...pity.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 April 07 12:02 BST (UK) »
The Robert Kirkcaldy I have comes from David and Margaret Meldrum.  When I was working on this line some time ago, I made a note that I thought the marriage to Jane Taylor was his.  As I have nothing to confirm this at the moment, I was hopeful that Monica might come up with the same thoughts. 

I have been watching this thread as Balmerino is very small and I felt there would be a link with our research.

Kilsyth

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 April 07 16:37 BST (UK) »
Something draws me to David Kirkaldy and Margaret Meldrum being the parents of Robert.  It might only be because they were married in Kilmany, or that a Margaret Meldrum was born in 1721 in Moonzie :-\
Robert's son David (of the elusive birthplace!) is buried in Moonzie churchyard, he died at Star, Kilmany 17th November 1865 aged 58, according to the stone.  Also buried there is his son Robert, died 1920 aged 87,along with various other members of the family.
Jenc 

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 April 07 17:23 BST (UK) »
Do you have the names of the other family members?  Maybe they would help to confirm our thoughts.

Kilsyth

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 April 07 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Kilsyth  this is as good as it gets....I visited Moonzie kirkyard way back in the 1970's when the inscriptions on the stones were legible.  The reason we were there was ,because another family member had gone to Register House in Edinburgh and researched the family and had got as far back as Robert Kirkcaldy, father of the 'Elusive David' but for many years have been stuck at Robert......we visted a few kirkyards then found out where some of the family were buried........ here goes ..Moonzie.....'Erected by Euphemia Walton, in memory of her husband David Kirkcaldy, who died at Star 17th November 1865 aged 58 years.
Erected by Joan Kirkcaldy in memory of her mother Isabella Johnstone, died 11th February 1889 aged 55, also her brother William, died 7th March 1902 aged 39, also her father Robert Kirkcaldy, died 21st February 1920 aged 87 years.
 Any thoughts? or is this too recent.

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 April 07 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  I haven't been able to make the link .................... yet!  I got the OPR for Robert and Jane Taylor's marriage but nothing more to go on.  I stopped at this brick wall a number of years ago but will try again.

Kilsyth