Author Topic: David Kirkcaldy's Birthplace HELP  (Read 32200 times)

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David Kirkcaldy's Birthplace HELP
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 02 October 08 15:04 BST (UK) »
How did you manage to make the dent to confirm the link?  Looks as if we have something to work on.  Thanks for letting me know.

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 02 October 08 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Kilsyth
I found Robert under Kirkaldie on IGI, and just went from there.  Tunjilees worked on the 1851 census for Balmerino. The pieces of the puzzle just fell into place. 
Good team work.
Jenc
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 October 08 07:57 BST (UK) »
While I was at New Register House I searched in vain for the proof you mentioned.  I just couldn't see how the 1851 census helped.  What did I miss?

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 05 October 08 16:20 BST (UK) »
One of the daughters of Robert Kirkcaldy and Jean Taylor was Helen who married James Taylor on the 6th June 1818 in Balmerino.  They had 7 daughters born between 1820 and 1837.  Tunjilees found that they are listed on the 1851 census for Balmerino, interestingly their neighbours are Hay Kirkaldy aged 89 and her granddaughter also Hay Kirkaldy aged 17 both birthplaces given as Cupar. 
There is a record of a marriage between Hay Thomson and David Kirkaldie on the 9th April 1793 in the Canongate, Edinburgh.  In all probability this David would appear to be the brother of our Robert.
The granddaughter Hay staying with her grandmother in 1851 would appear to be Hay Ann Kirkaldy, baptised in Cupar 28th Feb. 1833, parents James Kirkaldy and Euphemia Keddie, married on 12th July 1828 in Cupar.(no other siblings found)
There is only one other Hay Kirkcaldy born in the whole of Scotland, Hay Thomson Kirkcaldy, b. 11th December 1825, Balmerino, parents David Kirk(C)aldy and Margaret Stoddart married 2nd November 1822 in Balmerino (there are 6 other children on the IGI born in Edinburgh and Balmerino).
Could this other Hay Kirkcaldy be another granddaughter of the first Hay nee Thomson? it seems very likely.    Looks like more research needed here though.

Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 October 08 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  I did notice this during my searches but I thought you had found the proof that the Robert Kirkcaldy who married Jane Taylor was the son of David and Margaret Meldrum.  I still think it is.  I suppose I wanted to be sure of the link before I added Jane Taylor and the rest of the information.  Sorry for the confusion.

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 October 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
Don' t think we will ever have proof, but I feel 100% sure we have the right parents for Robert. Will keep you up-dated if anything comes to light.

Offline hayalan52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family is all you can take with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 04 January 09 11:54 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hi all; we are new to this but as my wife is a direct descendant of the elusive David Kirkcaldy/Kirkaldy/or whatever suits, we were really surprised to come across this topic and have found it very interesting. we have been searching my wifes family and had struggled to find the birth and/or death of Robert the son of David and Euphemia. We finally found his death just the other day and were really excited.
We have also struggled to find his father David until now. and All we can say is thanks for all your hard work. Just to give you a heads up on my wifes line here it is as briefly as I can put it:
Leslie Jean Haynes (nee Kirkcaldy) dau. of Robert Dempster Kirkcaldy son of Robert Kirkcaldy son of David Kirkcaldy son of Robert Kirkcaldy son of the elusive David and Euphemia.
All Leslie's cousins in Fife seemed to know were those buried in Leuchars and Tayport. We will have to send Leslie's cousin Robert Kirkcaldy from St Andrews off to Moonzie to see if he can find the grave stone which may no longer be legible.
We have only one question from the thread and that is how do we know that David's parents are Robert and Jane as we found the parents of a David Kirkaldy born Cupar 02/Aug/1808 and they were; William Kirkaldy and Helen Russell? we are probably amateurs at this so any confirmation of the parents would be fantastic. If you would like a copy I can send it.
Cheers from Downunder.
Ballingall, Bett, Bond, Campbell, Clark, Colvil, Dempster, Douglas, Falconer, Gulland, Johnston, Keith, Kinnell, Kirkcaldy, Knox, Law, Lumsden, Marr, Meldrum, Morris,  Mowat, Ness, Nicolson, Scott, Smart, Smith/Smyth, Spooner, Syme/Sim, Taylor, Tracey, Urquhart, Walton,

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
So glad you got in touch, looks like Leslie and I are related.  Her grandfather Robert Kirkcaldy was my grandfather's brother.  I have sent you a personal message.
Jenc

Offline hayalan52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family is all you can take with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 26 January 09 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Glad to have caught up and thanks Jen for contacting us. Also found we are related to Tunji and he has been a help as well. Sounds like we could also be related to Kilsyth.
Now a couple of questions regarding Robert Kirkcaldy and Jane Taylor:
If Robert is right does anyone have any qualms about him being born in 1762 and then Married in 1792 a gap of 30 yrs? Common today but did it happen in the 17-1800's? Any examples would be great?

Also the Margaret Meldrum being born in 1721 sounds good but once again if you look at the birth of David she would be about 48. I know it could fit but it almost seems like there is a generation missing.

Is it possible that their births are not listed yet and SP were going to put up OPR deaths by about mid 2008, any updates

Found Hay Barclay Thompson's death. She was about 92 in 1864 the year of her death from SP Death Cert but from the 1861 Census she is 95 on the census date and still with the Grand Daughter, Hay Kirkaldy. Can't find her husband David yet. More on all this after some more research.

Cheers for now
Ballingall, Bett, Bond, Campbell, Clark, Colvil, Dempster, Douglas, Falconer, Gulland, Johnston, Keith, Kinnell, Kirkcaldy, Knox, Law, Lumsden, Marr, Meldrum, Morris,  Mowat, Ness, Nicolson, Scott, Smart, Smith/Smyth, Spooner, Syme/Sim, Taylor, Tracey, Urquhart, Walton,