Author Topic: Fed Up With Genealogy Tree Thieves  (Read 25969 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fed Up With Genealogy Tree Thieves
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
Still this subject rumbles on,

Surely it only helps people grow there trees by putting your tree in the public domain and sharing information.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline cilvrnum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:42 BST (UK) »

Surely it only helps people grow there trees by putting your tree in the public domain and sharing information.

Well, yes, it does.  I think it needs reading the stories in this thread.  They suggest that people are not doing it carefully, or courteously, displaying it as all their own work, and all manner of things we wouldnt contemplate.  Some will not do their own research, they dont know how or where and what is available, picking the willing brains of those prepared to help and then not bothering to keep in touch with the original tree holder.

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks cilvrnum !
An excellent summary of the story so far!

Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 12:55 BST (UK) »

Well, yes, it does.  I think it needs reading the stories in this thread.  .

i have read the stories in the thread i contributed earlier on, the only way forward i see is if people don't want to let other people use the info. they have found then not to put it in the public domian i.e the internet

lots of people do research the same families.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline cilvrnum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Saturday 21 July 07 10:25 BST (UK) »
I've been approached by someone who has seen some of my posts from a Google search. He's searching the same name and has asked for information. He told me his partner was related to the same name, and gave one in a line of ten children but no parents, though, from what he said it looks as though he does have more information but was not disclosing it. 
In my usual fashion I have produced a great deal more information than I have received, as yet;  I probably have more to give, it is true to say.
Like a lot of us here, I've paid but not only that, have records that a relative born in the mid to 1800s wrote up.  A lot of it is probably not to be found on the internet.
What would you do.  Would you hand the lot over to a stranger.  Would you wait to receive information before doing so.  How would you answer questions.
I think this might cause some interest.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Saturday 21 July 07 10:44 BST (UK) »
I always ask for inforamtion from them first. Get them to send you detailed information. Say that you want to check your relationship (say 5th cousins or whatever) by putting theirs onto your data base. If they are willing to do this then they could be genuine

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Saturday 21 July 07 11:20 BST (UK) »
Good grief!

It almost defies belief that this thread is still going on - and is still rehearsing the same tired old arguments  ;)

My thoughts:

1. If you have done your research for love (or an enjoyable hobby or whatever) and you wish as many people as possible to have the benefit of it (and don't want it to die with you  :) ) then put it out in the public domain and forget about how people might use it.

2. If you feel in any way differently from the above, then don't put your research in the public domain.  And don't convey it to others (or only do so after applying whatever strict provisos will suit you personally).  And watermark your photos ::)

Simple!

And stop expecting the world to be fair  8)  That way lies certain disappointment!

JAP

Offline cilvrnum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Saturday 21 July 07 11:57 BST (UK) »
Good grief!

It almost defies belief that this thread is still going on - and is still rehearsing the same tired old arguments  ;) 

I'm sorry if its annoying to some that it still goes on.  I wasnt in at the beginning.
 :-\
Its probably an anno domini issue - I'm probably older that some if not most -  or could it be in a lot of us,  that there's a need to pass on accurate records and have them that way for ever.

I dont consider one enquirer and those with whom we find some friendship in groups and lists and forum to be "the public domain".     Not everyone wants to make it absolutely public on a website;  I certainly wouldnt.  I agree, that's inviting careless hands.

I've done my research to pursue family anecdote and those in my family who thought some of it was just romantic notion. We've got our share of changing social stigma, shame, adventure, and characters who one cant help but admire, who enjoyed life rather fuller than most.  I've a note on an envelope that states the contents are not to be shared for they would "do no one any good" but to remain theirs.    I searched for the truth and I suppose I feel torn between loyalty and allowing it to become history for the benefit of others.   Some of the truth is still hiding.   ;)

We've had two lines of so called "cousins" with some history, for whom - over a period of 90 years -  my family couldnt find a common ancestor.  I did that two or three days ago, though there is still an ultimate find to be had, or not.   It's that line that is finding some interest now.

Moderator comment: quote modified

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Saturday 21 July 07 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi cilvrnum,

Moderator comment: quote above modified, as requested

Quote from: cilvrnum
  ...  Its probably an anno domini issue ... 
It's not just in genealogical research that it's a good idea never to make assumptions  ;)

And do be aware that anything you post on genealogical threads on RootsChat and similar groups, lists and forums is, incontrovertibly, in the public domain.

JAP