Author Topic: The Face of Britain  (Read 7872 times)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
The Face of Britain
« on: Saturday 14 April 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
There is a new series (1/3)  on Channel 4 tonight at 8pm presented by Neil Oliver that follows genetic clues to find where ancient tribes lived.

It should be worth a look.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: The Face of Britain
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
I just spotted that in the tv mag and thought it might be interesting.  ;D
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 07 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thought I would give it a go and they are looking for Celts in the west country tonight.

Shame its slightly overlapped by Dr Who so I might get a few voices of protest. No contest!!! ::)

Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 07 21:24 BST (UK) »

Thanks for pointing this out Downside.

Everyone else here was watching 'Dr Who'...& so I removed upstairs to watch this.

I found it very interesting & informative...& will definately watch the rest of the series.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 07 22:16 BST (UK) »
I went out  unexpectedly amd missed most of it, drat  >:(
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 07 12:17 BST (UK) »
I found it interesting, but was disappointed in that none of the persons tested were told conclusively that they were Celtic. In each case they were told only that they were more likely to be Celtic than Anglo-Saxon.

I had thought that DNA results were absolute and definitive. But perhaps a lot also depends on how the results are interpreted. (And, perhaps my understanding is incomplete!)

But I'll certainly watch the next two programmes...

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 07 13:15 BST (UK) »
I had thought that DNA results were absolute and definitive.

I don't think we will ever get to that stage.  The guy conducting the tests stated things had changed in the last 10 years, so it looks like an evolving science. 

You pick up lots of interesting of information in this programme like the migration of Flemish people into South Pembokeshire and how the area is divided into English and Welsh sections.

It seems the general thrust of this series is to prove that the written history of this country is correct by using DNA sampling of selective regions. If your region is not selected then you are none the wiser.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 07 18:36 BST (UK) »
I have often thought that certain people in Pembrokeshire had the same thin, dark faces so prevalent in the furthest reaches of Cornwall...& so was pleased to see the link demonstrated.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 07 01:05 BST (UK) »
A great programme, will definitely be watching next week!

I doubt you could prove a person was exclusively Celtic as I'm sure somewhere back in their history someone with anglo-saxon or viking or other european blood would have married into the family at some point. On a similar programme Carol Thatcher's DNA was revealed to show she had middle eastern strains and Colin Jackson on WDYTYA was shown to have some native american DNA within him.

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts