Author Topic: Where in Berwickshire do I go?  (Read 5372 times)

Offline MysticBreeze

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Where in Berwickshire do I go?
« on: Tuesday 17 April 07 07:38 BST (UK) »
I hope to visit Scotland next year.  As most of my ancestors came from Berwick (Stotts, Galloway, Palmer, Moffat) .. where can I call in to do further genealogy whilst there?  I am having trouble (probably more due to lack of researching experience overseas) trying to confirm that Helen Galloway who married Ralph Stott is the Helen Galloway born in Edinburgh to John Galloway and Helen Nicol ... the age fits and shes the only one born in Edinburgh according to the Scotspeople site ... but how do I confirm its her?  She died in England in 1891.  Would her death cert have her date of birth?

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Berwickshire do I go?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 07:57 BST (UK) »
The Record Office in Berwick might be a good place to start. The staff are very helpful.
Berwick on Tweed is actually in Northumberland, England.
The death certificate will have an age at death, but not a date of birth. This will give you an idea of when to look.
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 14:03 BST (UK) »
It depends whether you are interested in Berwickshire, or the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Berwick Record Office is in Northumberland, and holds records mainly for the north of the county and for the town of Berwick. If it is Berwickshire you want to research, the new Borders Family History centre is at Hawick. It was set to open in March this year. I haven't heard if it has opened yet, but should be OK for your visit next year.

Offline maddy706

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Mystic
I am going too register house in Edinburgh thisweek Thursday if u would like me too do a look up please let me know . I will certainly try and help all i can
KEANEY  ,  FEENEY  ,  MORAN  ,  HUGHAN ,  MCNAMARA , O'MALLEY  ,  LAIDLAW  , DRYDON  , AIKMAN  , WILDE  ,  THOMSON  ,  WILDE , CAMPBELL ,HESTER

Offline MysticBreeze

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 03:20 BST (UK) »
That would be fantastic if you could do a look up for me - only if you have time though as I know how long it takes.  I have the 1841 Census which shows them living in I think it looks like Newfortland Street in Edinburgh.  John Galloway was 55, Helen 40, William and Agnes? 15, Helen 13 and Janet 10.  On info here in New Zealand it states Helen's (10 year old one) name was Helen Janet Galloway ... but this Janet is Helen Lindsday Galloway.  This Helen named one of her sons Lindsay ... The 1851 census shows Helen as being 24 and being born in Midlothian Edinburgh.
Helen married Ralph Stott in 1848.  I have no idea when she came to Eyemouth but obviously between 1841-1848!  I can't find her family on the 1851 census (if they are her family). 
Thank you so much ... no worries though if you don't have time :o)
Michelle

Offline maddy706

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm sure i'll have plenty time i'll b there 8 hours so i'll do my best .
KEANEY  ,  FEENEY  ,  MORAN  ,  HUGHAN ,  MCNAMARA , O'MALLEY  ,  LAIDLAW  , DRYDON  , AIKMAN  , WILDE  ,  THOMSON  ,  WILDE , CAMPBELL ,HESTER

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 07 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately, it may not be possible to confirm that Helen (GALLOWAY) STOTT is the same person as Helen Lindsay GALLOWAY, daughter of John GALLOWAY & Helen NICOL  :'(   Though it is encouraging that she named a son Lindsay ...

FreeCEN records the Edinburgh street in the 1841 census as Newport St.

I see that there are entries for the 1848 marriage in Aberdour, Fife and in Eyemouth, Berwickshire - was it Ralph or Helen who was resident in Eyemouth at the time of the marriage.

I take it that you have searched on ScotlandsPeople for the GALLOWAY family in 1851 - if their Helen were still with them, that would at least be negative proof.

A search on SP for deaths of John GALLOWAY and/or Helen (NICOL) GALLOWAY might be worth doing just in case Helen (GALLOWAY) STOTT was the informant ...   Though, given that John GALLAWAY (sic) and Helen NICOL married in 1812, they may well not have survived until the time of statutory registration (which began in Scotland in 1855).

I wonder whether there might have been a newspaper death notice wherever Helen (GALLOWAY) SCOTT died - which might mention her parents.  Or a monumental inscription in the relevant cemetery?  I think you said she died in Luton, Bedfordshire.

JAP

Offline MysticBreeze

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 April 07 07:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying.  Yes this is the same Helen Galloway who married Ralph Stott in 1848.  I'm trying to see if I can obtain a newspaper clipping if there was one in Luton where she died in 1897.   None of her children were named John ... which makes me wonder if it really is her, but I cannot find another Helen of a similar age born in Edinburgh.  She is on the 1851 census in Scotland as being born in Midtalhion Edinburgh.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 April 07 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi maddy706,

It might help in your searches - and perhaps save some time - if you have a look at other threads on this family (if you haven't seen them already):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,227883
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,227884
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,227885
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,227886

JAP