Author Topic: Double registry in Wilts and Berks  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Double registry in Wilts and Berks
« on: Sunday 20 May 07 08:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me why Joseph Tuckwell (born abt 1776 in Berks) and his wife Lavinia (nee Green born 1787 in Chilton Berks) would have had 4 of their 6 children registered in both Cookham Berks and East Lockinge Wilts.  The other 2, middle and last, were only registered in Cookham Berks.
Also, I need to find out where Joseph was born.  Chilton, where Lavinia was born, has been checked and there is no Joseph.
Any help much appreciated,
Regards, Abiam

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Double registry in Wilts and Berks
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 07 09:06 BST (UK) »
East Lockinge is in Berkshire near Wantage. Judging from the dates you give I think you mean parish register baptisms not registrations as in civil registrations for births.
Have you seen the actual parish registers for these two parishes or are you relying on information from a secondary source? The parishes are not adjacent yet the dates given for the baptisms in the BVRI (often extracted from Bishop's Transcripts and not the parish registers themselves) are for the same date.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 07 09:16 BST (UK) »
Beat me to it Valda!

I agree that the fact the BVRI has the same dates for both sets of baptisms smacks of an error somewhere.

By the way - have you seen the IGI entry for Bisham, Berkshire for the baptism of Sarah dau of Joseph & Lavinia on 7th October 1810?

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 07 09:20 BST (UK) »
Also, have you seen the baptism for Joseph Tuckwell on the IGI on 23 May 1784  at  Long Wittenham, Berkshire? I know it's a bit late, judging by his age on the 1841 census, but it might be worth looking at the original in case he was baptised aged 5 or something.

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 07 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela R and Valda,

First my mistake about E Lockinge being in Wilts - brain not engaged - and not appreciating the diff. between Parish and Civil.

I do have Joseph in L Wittendon and, according to the IGI there was a family, John and Sarah, they appear to have 6 children 3 called John, a Charles and a Martha plus Joseph.  There is also a William born to Elizabeth Tuckwell.  The John Tuckwell's were born in 1787,1794 and 1801.  Were they very unlucky and 2 of them died very early or are they from a different family altogether?

Also I have Joseph as Buried 1843 at the Union workhouse (I think this would be the Cookham Union) which, with the 1841 census, would make the birth date 1776. 

I didn't know about Sarah, Baptism October 1810 Bisham.  That would tie in nicely with their marriage in March 1810 in Great Marlow Bucks which is getting them nearer to Cookham where they were in 1841.  And that possibly she was named after her maternal grandmother.

So, where am I now?  How can I confirm that Joseph, Long Wittenham, is my Joseph with age errors?  And do I forget about E Lockeridge - I haven't found any Tuckwells there!

Thank you both for your replies and any further thoughts you may have,
Regards, Abiam

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 07 12:23 BST (UK) »
Joseph Tuckwell may have died at the Union workhouse (workhouses had infirmaries - some of which became National Health Hospitals when the National Health Service was founded in 1947) but they didn't usually have burial grounds. Joseph was buried at Holy Trinity churchyard Cookham on 6th January 1843 aged 67. Lavinia (Levina) was buried on 31st May 1848 aged 72.

Since Joseph died before the 1851 census you have to rely on the 1841 census for whether he was born in or outside Berkshire. Unfortunately the Y and N on that census can be unreliable so I wouldn't exclude the possibility that Joseph may not have been born in Berkshire - proving a connection to a baptism even if you find a possible can be very tough for any people who died before the 1851 census.
Cookham sits directly on the Berkshire/Buckinghamshire county border. It might be worth asking Buckinghamshire Family History Society for a search in their baptism index for potential Josephs.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=17&Itemid=75

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 07 12:43 BST (UK) »
I can't improve on Valda's reply, so I won't try  ;D

Just to pick up what you said about the multiple John Tuckwell baptisms - I don't know if my experience is typical, but 3 attempts at a surviving child with the same name has happened a good deal in my family. Since the name is that of the father and would normally be particularly important to retain, I'm not at all surprised at there being 3 Johns, especially at that period.

Proof of parentage is incredibly difficult, so good luck  ;D  I've just recently found some parentage evidence for one of my ancestors via the will of someone who turned out to be his brother, so you never know what will turn up  ::)

Angela

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 May 07 14:23 BST (UK) »
AngelaR and Valda,

Thanks for that.  I will take your advice about getting a search done at Bucks FHS. 

And I have personal experience of the loss of a baby and naming the next child with the same name.  That was in 1970 so it has probably going on for a few hundred years!  But I don't think I would have been tempted to do the same for a 3rd time.

As he was married in Great Marlow maybe he was from the area and Lavinia had travelled to Bucks from Chilton Berks to work ie. in service.   Met and married in the groom's home town rather than the bride's.  I shall start on that line.  I don't think the Will suggestion would go far as I think it unlikely they would have had anything to leave!  As, unfortunately, with all branches of my family.
But, you never know,
Regatds, Abiam

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 May 07 14:32 BST (UK) »
All Saints with Holy Trinity Great Marlow burials

21st December 1813
Ann Tuckwell 10 weeks

16th February 1814