Author Topic: need correct birth dates- COMPLETED Thanks CAS!!!!  (Read 4548 times)

Offline NYGaPeach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
need correct birth dates- COMPLETED Thanks CAS!!!!
« on: Friday 22 June 07 03:15 BST (UK) »
I am looking for correct birth dates for John Rees [born abt 1777 in Merthyr Tydfil] and married Mary Jones [born abt 1778 in Merthyr Tydfil] on April 9, 1798 in Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales.They had the following children: John, William, Elizabeth, Mary, Evan, Ann, Sarah, Suzanne and Ruth.  I would love to know their birth dates. I have christening dates but do not know where they came from.  I don't know the name of the church the records are in.
Their son, William [born abt 1800] married Maria Mason [born abt 1806]and they lived at 100 High Street.  They were married 19 May 1823 in Merthyr.  They had the following children- Mary [?], Naomi, John and Maria.  Maria Mason Rees died on 10 March 1835 and is buried along with a daughter by the walkway at the church there.  Again, I do not know the name of the church.
Any additional information would be SO appreciated!

Offline NYGaPeach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: need correct birth dates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 07 13:49 BST (UK) »
I have further information if it will help anyone:  The son, William lived at 102 High St.  He and his wife, Maria Mason Rees attended the old Wesleyan Church and she and her daughter Naomi are buried along the front walk of the church.
I think the address for John and Mary Jones Rees [William's parents] may not be accurate.
Thanks for looking at my post.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 07 14:03 BST (UK) »
Cannot help with specific dates dob. Before registration (sept 1837) birth certs were not available so baptism dates are the only source unless by luck they were recorded at baptism.

Think these maybe your people, no William.

1841 - H0107 piece 1415 book 8

Address, Pontmoralais Merthyr Tydfil

All born in the county of Glamorgan

Mary Mason 55
Richard Mason 30 pudler?
Nohomi Rees 13
John Rees 10
Maria Rees 6

A few lines above not the same house there is also a richard Mason age 20, iron miner

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline NYGaPeach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 June 07 14:19 BST (UK) »
You found them!!!!
Thanks for the information about the birth certificates.  I do have the christening dates.  Do you know if they were usually christened by a certain age?
These are the right people but I wonder where the Father is as he didn't die until 1852.  Mary Mason must be the grandmother; Richard her son.  I wonder now if they are listed in the 1851 census with their father. Interesting.
Again, THANKS SOOOO MUCH for looking this up for me.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 June 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
Most of the baptisms for the Mason family are on the IGI other children are Richard, Ann, check the site and put in a parent search.

www.familysearch.org site.  Info found here needs to be verified so be careful, submitted records (by anyone)cannot be trusted, only extracted records from the source which are usually church records.

Maria parents were Walter & Mary Rees, here is the marriage confirmed pre 1837 marriages for Glamorgan

Walter Mason - Mary Rees married 23 Nov 1800 at Merthyr Tydfil both of the parish.

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline NYGaPeach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 June 07 14:31 BST (UK) »
Oh, my!  I am sitting here with tears in my eyes so grateful for all of your information. 
Thoughts-  Are the names Mary and Maria used interchangeably in Wales?  Sometimes I see it as Mary; sometimes as Maria.
Did the men at that time go off to work?  The little history of the family that I have [written long ago and the author is dead] just says that the father, William was fully employed and so busy with work that even after the Mother died he had little time to give to the children outside of basic care.
Thanks again!!!!  May you have a TERRIFIC day for helping me.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 June 07 14:41 BST (UK) »
Pleased to help if I can....and avery warm welcome to rootschat, forgot my manners!  :)

Here are the Mason baptisms confirmed from Glam baptisms pre 1837.  See note on IGI in above post.

Parents Walter & Mary no occ. given for father

Richard Mason baptised 1/11/1801 address Pontmorlais Merthyr Tydfil
Ann Mason baptised 3/4/1803 address Pontmorlais Merthyr Tydfil
Mary Mason baptised 23/2/1806 address Pontmorlais Merthyr Tydfil
Richard Mason baptised 19/4/1809 address Merthyr Tydfil

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline NYGaPeach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 June 07 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thank-you again, my dear.  You are certainly a saint in my book today.
I have always looked at the information FamilySearch as "clues" unless a source is stated.  I have found a lot of misinformation on my family that I KNOW.  But, it is a very good place to start.
Thanks again.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 June 07 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Just for info there is a person called 'Jon' who appears to have Walter Mason b1780 and Maria Mason b1806 in his/her tree on GenesReunited.  May help with sharing info but you have to join this site to make contact.

Also rechecked the IGI earlier, this is submitted info so needs verifing. You may already know this...

It states that William Rees died and was buried 1852 in Bellville, St Clair, Illinois, so it would be worth checking the US board to see if you can find him on the passenger lists etc.  I cannot seem to locate them here in 1851, perhaps he left after Naomi died?

It also states on IGI that Naomi died 5/9/1849

freebmd gives her death reg as Sept qtr 1849 Merthyr Tydfil vol 26 page 450 (you could send for this cert to see who informant was and address etc.) This would fit with the death date given on IGI.

IGI states Maria died 1852 no place given - if this daughter had died in Merthyr, she would have prob been buried with mother/sister.  I think possibly William, Maria and John went to US after 1849 obviously before 1852.  If the submitted info has a grain to verify.  Checked freebmd, there is no Merthyr reg for a death in 1852 for Maria Rees, although there are some for other years.

IGI states John died 6/2/1919 no place given

You could try and confirm burials for the Rees/Mason family by contacting www.merthyr.gov.uk.  They hold the registers for cems in Merthyr. 

The contact I was given in 2006 was Debbie.Hughes[at]merthyr.gov.uk, do not know if she still works there but found her very helpful, worth trying, the Mason family would be easy to find as there were not many with the surname around 1840's.

Hope this helps some

Cas

Moderator comment: email modified - please use [at] instead of @ to prevent spam and other abuses

Lewis - Breckonshire