Author Topic: Watchmakers of Coventry  (Read 53401 times)

Offline raven-nellie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmakers of Coventry
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for information on Joseph Baker.  He is registered as living in Coleshill in 1839 and he is said to be a clock and watchmaker.   I think he was married to a Martha Boddington.

Thanks

Helen

Offline Avril-14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 October 08 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hello there
I notice that you have been talking about watchmakers of Coventry.  Some of my husbands ancestors worked at Rotherhams in Coventry.  Is there anyone who knows where abouts in Coventry Rotherhams was situated and when did it close down?  Are there any photos of the place?

Avril    :)
Harper, Potter, Jones, Alcock, Woods, Martin, Thomas, Jenkins.
England, Ireland, Wales

Offline julieproctor61

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 October 08 10:11 BST (UK) »
Avril-14

message removed due to link not working

julie

SPICER, HARRIS    Coventry
HUNTLEY     Wiltshire, Monmouthshire
GARDNER    Stoneleigh, Gloucestershire
HOLMES      Warwickshire
COX           Daventry, Coventry, Rugby
HALES        Stockton, Southam

Offline Avril-14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 October 08 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie
Many thanks for the reply re Rotherhams, it is much appreciated. I wish I had known that when I was in the UK - Coventry last year.

Cheers Avril :)
Harper, Potter, Jones, Alcock, Woods, Martin, Thomas, Jenkins.
England, Ireland, Wales

Offline mepa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 March 09 19:25 GMT (UK) »
i too am looking for a watchmaker.  STILWELL @ SONS UNITY BUILDINGS , LITTLE PARK STREET, COVENTRY ESTABLISHED 1825. RICHARD STILWELL. SON RICHARD THOMAS STILWELL. CAN ANYONE TELL ME MORE ABOUT THEM.
Hello, yes my grandfather was Jonathan Stilwell of Stilwell and Sons. His Father was Jonathan Robert. Then Richard T was his parent. The line goes back to the watchmaking family in Clerkenwell, London.It was Jonathan Robert who left London for Coventry so the firm was started in London.He had businesses in Earl Street,Little Park Street and in Jordon Well . 

Offline jdbarron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 March 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
My family also had Coventry watchmakers, watch dial painters, etc. The family name was PLAYER, and they also had homes and workshops on Craven Street. However, I'm trying to trace them back farther. Originally from London, then in Birmingham at some point.

If anyone can direct me to a reference for the watchmaking industry in London and Birmingham, I'd appreciate it. My direct ancestor, Thomas Player, was born in Birminham in 1803, according to all census entries, and set up business along with other family members (William Player, Joseph Player) in Coventry in the early part of the 19th century.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 March 09 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I can tell you that there are links as with my Coventry watchmakers and the watch and clock making district of Clerkenwell in London.  in mid 1800s sons of my ancestor Edward Atkins were born in Clerkenwell and later baptised all together in St John, Coventry.  I am wondering whether the links are through apprenticeship, though Coventry had its own apprentices and some of them were published by the Dugdale Society.   Hope this helps.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
My daughters ancestors on her fathers side were very well known watchmakers in Coventry - the Charley family.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline DeniseJo

• RootsChat Member
  • Me 1969
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 28 March 09 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting thread

My Great Great Great Grandad Charles Beauchamp lived in spon street and was also a watch maker in 1881 he was a watch cap springer and in 1891 he was a watch spring polisher.

I was in the Herbert art gallery and Museum in Coventry last week and they have a very interesting display on the watch makers of coventry.

Some watch makers worked from home doing specific jobs and the watches would be taken from house to house to be worked on.

A young lad who was working with his dad learning the trade made a list of one of the watches journeys and that list is up in the museum. It gives the names and proffesion of everyone who worked on the watch.

There are also some watches on display and they give the names of the people who made them.

If anyone would like me to go back and see if your family is listed then give me the name and I will gladly check it for you.
Wood, Wagstaff, Elliott, Hodgkins, Beauchamp, Jakeman, Sidwell, Gloster, Harris