Author Topic: Kent Churches Open to Visitors  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Billans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kent Churches Open to Visitors
« on: Sunday 26 August 07 22:31 BST (UK) »
I am planning a short visit to Kent in two months' time. I intend visiting several Parish churches and churchyards in towns like Nonington, Walmer, Deal and Woodnesborough where many of my ancestors lived in the 1700's.
Could someone tell me if this is feasible ; are these places open to visitors during weekdays ? Are they likely to have old records, or are these kept elsewhere ? If so, is there a central archive thereabouts.
Billans

Offline bishopsb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kent Churches Open to Visitors
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 07 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Billans,
I am not an expert here, but I thought I'd share my experience. 
I was just visiting Kent from the US to see Kingsnorth and Great Chart churches.  I found Kingsnorth closed up, but was desperate enough to knock on the vicar's door.  She was very obliging and unlocked it all for me to see and it was very worthwhile. 

However, I was also visiting some churches in Sussex and found some do not have a dedicated vicar.  There was a phone number to call, which I did, and the message stated the vicar was not able to return messages for about a week. 

To the best of my knowledge, the churches don't have the actual records, you'd probably have to consult the Center for Kentish Studies in Maidstone. 
Have a good trip!

Offline Billans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 07 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Bishopsb (That wouldn't be Bishop's School, Cape Town would it ?)
Thanks for the advice based on your personal experience. I rather think I'll find the same thing happening in the churches I plan to visit, so the advice about Maidstone might prove invaluable
Regards,  Billans

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 07 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Billans

As Bishopsb says, many churches are now kept locked when not in use.  Some of the churches have links on the following site so you should be able to contact them prior to your trip to enquire about visiting etc..

http://www.canterbury.anglican.org/parishdeanery/parish.htm

The parish registers for East Kent are at Canterbury Cathedral Archives (not Maidstone though they may have copies of some) http://www.canterbury-cathedral.org/history/archives.htm

However, there are some copies (Rootschat member Bill will know which ones are where - when he sees this post ;) ) at Deal and/or Dover library which may be convenient if you are in the area http://kent.gov.uk/LibrariespublicUI/

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
Greetings to you, Casalguidi !
I rather thought the churches might be difficult to access, though I'm sure the churchyards will be worth a visit, in any case.
Thanks for the website addresses which should help a lot. Is one able to actually visit Canterbury Cathedral and gain access to their extensive archives ?
Hope Bill does see this post !
I appreciate your advice, thanks !
Billans

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 07 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill & Cas - I spotted it!

Bill

I have complete lists of what PRs are available at both Deal and Dover libraries - let me know which ones you want to look at and I can tell you where to find them.

If you let me know when you are planning to visit I may be able to meet up with you and show you round the area.  I can also show you the libraries and get you started on searching the collections.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Billans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,
This is marvellous ! You obviously didn't receive my e-mail of about a month ago, which I will send off again.
I'm very keen to meet you and really look forward to seeing the Deal library, about which I've read so much in your correspondence.
Best wishes,
Billans

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Billans,
I was going to do just as you are planning.  When I contacted the church they were more than happy for me to see the church records  for a fee of £15.00 per hour.
I've decided to use the LDS and have ordered films of the records then when I want to go to Kent I can just go to the church and graveyard, and then on to Canterbury Archives.
Newbie ;D  (who loves Cape Town !)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie
Thanks for that useful info. When you say the church, I take you mean that you will be able to examine the records in Canterbury Cathedral for 15 pounds an hour. When are you visiting ?
We live in Canada now, but my wife will be visiting our kids in Cape Town for Christmas.
Best wishes, Billans.