Author Topic: Anne Brown  (Read 4677 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Brown
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 October 07 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet

Putting it briefly, a Yeoman was a farmer who owned his land, as opposed to a Husbandman, who was a tenant farmer.  A Yeoman would have servants and labourers, but would also work himself, as opposed to a Gentleman Farmer, who would have others to do the work. Wealthy yeomen could mix with minor gentry socially, and formed a kind of middle class. 

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Best wishes

Gillg  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 October 07 08:24 BST (UK) »
Gillg, thanks for your help, Iam learning alot about other cultures and ways since I have been searching for my ancestors. Take care.

Regards,
Janet ;)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 October 07 17:44 BST (UK) »
Janet

If you would like to send me your email address in a PM, I will attach a copy of Henry Taylor's will, which I photocopied from the microfiche today.  I don't know what his son John had done to offend him, but he cut him off with the proverbial shilling, and left everything divided equally between his sons Thomas and Robert! :o  From the wording of the will it sounds as though there might have been a bit of a family rift, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I went back a little earlier with the baptisms and found Robert and the other children, of course.  The clerk writing the baptisms had changed between the children, and just wrote "Robert Taylor 19th October 1759" with no parents' names beside it, so we have to assume that this is the right fellow. 

I also found several earlier baptisms and burials, which I'll send you later, but couldn't find a marriage for Henry and Muriel (buried 29 Oct 1785).

Best wishes

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 October 07 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Gillg, what a wonderful person you are the message really made me laugh  :o  and made my day. How do you send my email address in a PM, I don't want to make a error in this system we use. Have a great day and take care.

Regards,
Janet  ;)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 October 07 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet

If you take a look on the left-hand side of your screen, you will see under my name two little icons, one a baby's head and the other an S shape or scroll.  Hold your cursor over the scroll icon and you will see a message 'Personal Message (Online)'.  Click on the scroll and a screen similar to the normal reply screen will come up.  This keeps your message private and the only person who can read it apart from you is the person you send it to.

The baby's head icon gives you a personal profile of a correspondent. Have a click and see what's there. :)

Cheers

Gillg

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 October 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
Janet

I have just sent you an email with the copy of Henry Taylor's will attached.  Please let me know if it has arrived safely.  If not, I'll try again.

Cheers

Gillg  :)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 November 07 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gillg, I do hope this finds you well and not working too hard. Iam battling storms over here and they usually come when you are on the computer. As you know Iam connected to Marianne Taylor baptised 1812, can't understand why their isn't any proper date for her, as according to her death certificate she was born in London and Iam searching there at present. Would her family have gone to London at one stage, perhaps his apprenticeship job being a Lawyers Clerk? ??? and that is why she was born there, she also married there to a William Cantle on the 9/8/1835 at Christchurch County Surrey Southwark England, I would love to solve this family somehow, would just like advice and directions where to look. Will this marriage show anything? ??? Have a good weekend and take care.

Janet ;)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 November 07 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janet

I'll be down at the RO later today, and will look again at Marianne's baptism entry in Turkdean, also look at baptisms for later children of Robert & Anne, if any.  The other ones I found were older than Marianne.  It was not unknown for children to be taken back to the home town of one or both of their parents for baptism, so even if Marianne was born in London, she could have been brought "home" for baptism.

Not sure about Robert moving to London as part of his apprenticeship, but it's always a possibility.  Maybe someone else can help on this.

Did you find Marianne on the 1851 census?  And did this also give London as her place of birth?  What about the 1841?  If she was living in Southwark, this may have shown her as being born "out of County".  Can anyone else help on this, please?  I don't have Ancestry.  ;)

Unfortunately Marianne's marriage took place before the registers giving fuller details were brought in, so all you would see would be the names of both spouses, whether of the parish, whether by banns or licence, signatures or marks of the spouses and two witnesses and the vicar and date. 

Don't believe everything you see on a death certificate!  ::)  The details are given by an informant, who may be relying on hearsay.  For example, on the death cert of a New Zealand relative from the early 1900s, his mother's name is completely wrong.  It's shown as a combination of his grandmother's first name and his mother's step-father's surname! (Caused us all kinds of trouble to sort that one out!) This is particularly evident with people who have emigrated and have no close family to verify the facts, so just rely on old memories.

I'll let you know later if I find anything. 

Gillg

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 November 07 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet

Success at last with Marianne's baptism date!  I looked at the beginning of the register and found some notes about special baptisms: 

Marianne daughter of Robert & Anne Taylor baptised 12 Jan 1812
Marianne daughter of Thomas & Hannah Taylor 26 April 1812
given in Archdeacon's Visitation June 2 1812.

Quite why these entries were separated, I don't know.  I believe the Archdeacon's Visitation was similar to the Bishop's Visitation, where the transcripts of the Parish Register were handed over to the officials.  There were also a few other baptisms on the same page with notes to say that they had been given in the Bishop's Visitation on other dates.

I also found Robert & Anne's children:  William baptised ? March 1813, Ann baptised 3 Aug 1817 and Caroline 18 Nov 1821 in Turkdean.  I was rather confused, as Robert was described as a labourer, and you had said he was a lawyer's clerk.  Could there have been two Roberts in the family, perhaps?

Regards

Gillg  :D