Author Topic: Anne Brown  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Brown
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 October 07 13:35 BST (UK) »
Janet

Sadly the Turkdean Parish Registers for that period don't exist, so I had to look at the Bishop's Transcripts (extracts from the registers for baptisms, marriages and deaths which were submitted to the Bishop every year).  The marriage of Ann Brown and Robert Taylor is recorded on 28 December 1807, as you said, both of this parish and by banns.  The vicar who made the transcription was George Hornsley and William Taylor was churchwarden.  Unfortunately with these records no details of the witnesses were given, and at that time the name of the couple's father and his profession would not have been shown in the register.

I could not find the marriage in the Westcote register, so suggest that this is an error on the part of the LDS submitter, perhaps confusing the place of the marriage.

On my next visit to the RO I will try and find a baptism for Ann in Turkdean, but time ran out, as usual.

Gillg.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 October 07 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks gillg and Toni, for your help and searching for me, I wish I was over there to find out things for myself it is so frustrating from this end, have a safe weekend the both of you and take care.

Janet :-*

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 October 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet

Just returned from Gloucester RO, and have been looking at those Turkdean Bishop's Transcripts again, this time trying to find baptisms for Anne and Robert.  The curious thing is that I can't find them, though there seem to be a few pages missing, and some are in poor condition.

I searched the baptisms from 1760 onwards, and came across several Taylors, but no Browns.    A William & Mary Taylor had children John baptised 27 Feb 1775, Anne 1 Dec 1775 and Thomas 16 May 1778.  There were several generations of Williams, one of whom was married to a Hannah, who died 18 Aug 1803.  One of the Williams was a churchwarden at the time of Robert & Anne's wedding.  I did feel that Robert might have been the son of William & Mary, but couldn't find his baptism.

Also in the baptisms were some of Robert & Anne's children - James, baptised 8 Oct 1809,  Marianne 1812 (year only entered) and Jane baptised 9 Oct 1808 and buried 23 July 1809.  There may have been more later, but I got to the end of the film without finding them. 

Taylor marriages - William Winchester & Eleanor Taylor 20 Feb 1781
                              Robert Wood & Jane Taylor 13 Oct 1782
                              William Taylor & Hannah Newman 24 Jun 1793

There were also lots of Taylor burials - would you like these as well, or will it hinder rather than help?

Sorry I couldn't find the ones you really wanted.  I wonder if Anne had been married before? 

Best wishes

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 October 07 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Gillg, thanks for helping me solve this mystery about Robert and Anne Brown, I have found that Robert Taylor is the son of Henry Taylor and Muriel Taylor who had children:- Mary buried 31/10/1738, Samuel Ch. 8/6/1742 died 7/7/1771, William ch.16/11/1744 executor of fathers will 17/6/1801, Anne ch.16/11/1747, Sarah ch.22/7/1750, John ch.28/4/1754 Thomas ch.10/12/1756, Robert ch.19/10/1759,Jane ch.25/4/1762, these records are from Turkdean BTs.Apparently Robert Taylor married late as it is also recorded in the Turkdean BTs. I received this information from a reliable source who was familiar with this family, it would be great to see the will left by Henry to his family. Thanks for your help have a good weekend.

Janet ;)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 October 07 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

And I thought I was starting my search for Robert early enough at 1760, making him 47 when he married!  Just glance at the previous year and I would have found him.  ::)

Turkdean must have been a tiny parish.  In some years there were no baptisms or marriages at all, in others just a handful.

You might find the following Taylor burials of interest:

Thomas 20 Aug 1780
Sarah 29 Dec 1780
John  25 Nov 1781
Thomas 31 Mar 1784
Mary Jane 18 May 1789
Henry 7 Aug 1789
Margaret 12 Oct 1791
Simon 5 Jul 1798
Hannah wife of William 18 Aug 1803
Jane infant daughter of Robert & Anne 23 July 1809

Unfortunately no indication of age against these names or other details, but some of these might refer to your family, particularly the Henry - it could have taken some time to prove his will.  Gloucester RO may have a copy of the will.  I'll ask next time I'm down there, also take a look at the earlier and later BTs, if available. 

There were no Browns at all in the years I looked at (1760-1810), which makes me wonder if Anne was a widow when she married Robert or was baptised in another parish.  The BT didn't say whether she was a spinster or a widow.  No Anne married a Mr Brown earlier than 1807 in Turkdean, as far as I could see.

Looking for Anne's baptism on the IGI I found these members' submissions (beware!)for baptisms in Cirencester, 12 miles away from Turkdean:

Ann(e) daughter of John Brown 10 Jul 1771 and 19 Feb 1775

Just a thought. 

Gillg

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 October 07 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Gillg, Thanks heaps for this information you are a treasure for this news, I know for a fact that the Gloucester RO has Henry Taylors Will I had a look on their Web page when you are searching for family names, and his name came up. Thanks once again, I wish I was over their helping it is so frustrating not being able to search for my ancestors. Have a safe weekend and take care.

Regards,
Janet ;)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 October 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Gillg, Just thought of something that might be of interest. On Marianne's Cantle (Taylor) death certificate which I have her father Robert Taylor was a Lawyers Clerk when he was alive. Marianne was of course a daughter of Robert and Anne, unfortunately I have only her year of baptism no actual date. Have a good weekend and take care.

Janet :)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 October 07 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet

So Robert was a lawyer's clerk and would have been literate at a time when so many could not even write their names.  William the churchwarden could also write (well, I've seen his signature on the BTs, and it looked pretty competent), so it looks like an educated family to me.  I see from the Glos RO website that Henry was a yeoman.

Should be able to get down to the RO again at the end of this week. 

More later

Gillg  :)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 October 07 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Gillg, Lovely to receive your message once again, I was wondering was is a yeoman? Iam unfamiliar with some of these sayings, hope that you have a good day.

Regards,
Janet :-*