Author Topic: help needed with a mystery relative  (Read 10451 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help needed with a mystery relative
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 October 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
I can't find a death for Ivy maud Howell(s) ....

but this birth looks promising
Ivy Maud Matthews
Jun qtr 1907
Merthyr Tydfil
11a 832

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 October 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Welshjo and Suz,

the death for the Ivy Kathleen Howells doesn't match our birth date, shame.
The Ivy Maud looks like a good birth, Maud was used a lot in the family, there was a couple of Minnie Mauds, one was her Aunt and another her cousin.  But Maud was probably common for that time and area.

I am slowly, going through year by year marriages for any Ivy Matthews starting at 1924, in Ancestry.
I am up to 1932, but gave up last night as I was tired ;D  It is a slow process this way but may be the only option.
I am worried she may have married twice which will make everything near impossible to find.

Thankyou for your determination in helping with this line.  I think we are definately on the right track based on Cyril Matthews -

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 October 07 22:24 BST (UK) »
oops, sorry, thanks Suz for the defination of the name Brindley.  ;D
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 October 07 22:34 BST (UK) »
With Ivy not having any children, I wonder if she didn't marry until late in life?

I wonder if she was the unmarried sister who dedicated herself to her deceased sister's children???

Then married late on.

Wish I could get to the Rhondda and knock the door to see if anyone remembered her?

They are pretty close knit in that community.

My granddaughters live in S Wales-but a couple of valleys away!!!!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 October 07 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz, my sister is in contact with a relative that still lives in the Valley.  But he is a lot younger.
He has been to Australia twice now to visit.
We even gave him some Kanga on the bbq  ;D

Back when I was writing to Ivy, I was also writing to a gr. Aunt on my Grandfathers side.  But she has passed on since. Most of the Brabons (and Belts) were salvation Army people but I recall reading that Ivy was not.  She did say she sewed a salvation army dress for my gr grandmother when she was there.

I will get my sister to contact this relo, and see who is still alive over there and who might remember her.
Especially now having this extra info to work with.

I am sure that she probably did marry late in life, hence the fact that she could not or did not have children.  She never explained why, and never mentioned her husband, when he died etc.
It was her deceased sisters grand children whom she semi-raised. 

Wish I could get to the Rhondda too, ;)

thanks, I will keep plodding along with the marriages page by page even if I have to cover 30 years, I will find it >:(

Margaret

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 October 07 23:07 BST (UK) »
If you are still "ploughing through" tomorrow -or maybe even later I will help out if I can

Suz

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 October 07 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz,
If I find anything new I will put it up.
I will read through the letters again and again, must be something hiding in there I missed, shocking handwriting though.

Appreciate all your help and interest ;)

Margaret

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 October 07 23:23 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for:

Louise Brabin - George Matthews Mar Q 1907 Pontypridd 11a 631

You could also contact Treorchy FH library to follow up address on electrol to see who lived there librarian is Anthony Pritchard he is vey helpful via email. google for address Rhondda Cynon Taff libraries.

If you have probs will give you link

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 15 October 07 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cas,
I did have that possible marriage in my first entry, I know it was a bit long winded ;D

I will see how I go with the Treorchy FH library ,
thankyou

Margaret