Author Topic: help needed with a mystery relative  (Read 10453 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
help needed with a mystery relative
« on: Monday 15 October 07 06:20 BST (UK) »
About 15 years ago I was writing to an elderly lady who said she was my grandmothers cousin.

As I live in Australia, all letters were sent back and forth by normal mail and took many months for information to come in.
She only gave me little bits and pieces and never answered the specific questions I put to her.  Needless to say - I am still confused as to where she fits in. :-\

So . . . having raved on a bit, I shall now give the information given to me and what I have found:

She was a cousin to my grandmother, b.c. 1907, Wales.
Her name at the time was Ivy Howells - I do not know if this was a maiden name or married name, I know she never had children of her own. She never signed her mail as Miss or Mrs - just Ivy Howells :'(

My grandmother was Minnie Maud Brabon.  Her parents were William James Brabon and Mary jane Perry.
Ivy stated that her mothers name was Louisa, who died circa 1963.  No age given and no married name given.
I have found a Louisa Brabon born circa 1886, living with my gr grandparents Walter Brabon and wife Elizabeth, in Glamorganshire
1881 census - RG12/4424  folio 116, page 58
1891 census -RG13/5015  folio 83, page 29.

Ok, so far so good.
Now my problem is to find a marriage of this Louisa.
The only one I could find was :
Louise Brabin/March qtr 1907/Pontypridd/Glamorgan/11a/631.

This gives me two possible spouses - Thomas James Jakaman or George Mathews.

From what I was told by Ivy is that she (Ivy) had 2 brothers and a sister.
"We were 2 girls and 2 boys in my family"

Now what I need to know is, apart from buying the marriage certificate, how else might I find out about this family, the children etc.
I found  a possible birth for an Ivy Ellen Mathews in 1910, but cannot find a marriage for her to a Howells.

If anyone has any ideas or can double check anything I have given, please help me with this little mystery.
We exchanged many letters but none were very helpful, she was such a lovely dear but oh so frustrating ;D

Sorry if this is such a long winded explanation, any help truly appreciated :)

Regards
Margaret

Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help needed with a mystery relative
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 07 06:44 BST (UK) »
There are these deaths
Ivy Howells
born 26 July 1904
d.Jun1984
Merthyr Tydfil district
27 418

Ivy Elizabeth howells
b. 29 Oct 1909
d.Aug 2001
age 91
Swansea
D157 55

Ivy Elizabeth Howells
b.5 jan 1913
d.Mar 1996
age 83
Pontypridd
A81 56

Maybe this will help with a d.o.b.

Suz

Ivy Elizabeth Howells b.
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 07 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,
yes they are great, never even thought to check for her death.
My letters weren't even dated, I just recall it being about 1983, and even the stamps on the envelope aren't clear.

The Merthyr one could be a good one, as that is where my mother was born.

Thankyou.

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 07 07:38 BST (UK) »
have modified the last one -I had put date of death as 1966 -instead of 1996!!!

What area was her address when she wrote to you?
That may pin it down a little more

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 October 07 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz, I am glad you told me that, as I automatically disregarded that one because of the date.

I will have to go search for the letters again,
back soon.

thanks
Margaret

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 07 08:00 BST (UK) »
ok,
Firstly an appology, she has put Mrs Ivy Howells, so yes she did marry.  ::)

She was living at 4 Danywern Terrace, Ystrad, Rhondda, Mid Glam. in August 1983.

Yes, it appears I also have a decent date too.
Sorry for that.

There is another that appears to have the date Feb 18th 1985, this is scribbled in a different colour pen to the letter.
this would discount the first option then, but cannot say for certain if the date is right, shall I scan and put it up. ??

Hope this helps.

Margaret

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 October 07 08:15 BST (UK) »
here is the scan of the date, putting it up mainly to verify that it is an 85.

Margaret

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 October 07 08:22 BST (UK) »
Freebmd has the following births listed

March qtr 1912
Cyril Matthews - mothers maiden name Brabon - Pontypridd 11a 1538

June qtr 1914
Brinley Matthews - mothers maiden name Brabon - Pontypridd 11a 1558

This could show that Louisa married George Matthews

Hope this helps
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 October 07 08:29 BST (UK) »
Also found the following on Freebmd

Births Sep 1907 qtr
Ivy Kathleen Matthews Pontypridd 11a 721

Births Dec 1908 qtr
Ivy May Matthews Pontypridd 11a 536
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs