Author Topic: George Peppard - the Actor  (Read 26537 times)

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Peppard - the Actor
« on: Saturday 20 October 07 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My family "history" has always had the story that George Peppard is related to my mothers side of the family (Peppards).  Does anyone have a family tree for George Peppard.  I have tried all of his websites and although he was of Irish descent I have ever come across his family tree.  It would be great to prove or disprove this family story once and for all.

Rory
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: George Peppard - the Actor
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Rory,

Is there a particular reason for posting this query on the Wicklow board ??? (*)

The name may have changed when the family left Ireland. The only name I can see on the 1796 Flax Growers List which contains "eppard" is Sheppard.  There were only the two in Ireland on that List which was also known as the Spinning Wheel Census ...

Thomas, Tedavnet. Monaghan
Robert,  Annaclone. Down

I have also tried "Pepp" and all that's listed is Pepper. The Flax Growers List has only three people with this surname. It might be a better to research Pepper as I imagine someone not too good at the spelling might have substituted "er" with "ard."

John, Drumgoon. Cavan
Mary, Clontibret. Monaghan
William, Loughgilly. Armagh

If my assumption is correct then George's Irish ancestors may have been of Scots descent. 

I've linked this thread to your   Peppard/Pepper Poss Baltinglass thread on the Carlow board.

Christopher

(*) Moderator Comment: moved to Ireland - General, till we have some more concrete information about location

Offline Son of Lugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 07 19:14 BST (UK) »
I remember reading that George Peppard had traced his ancstry back to Drogheda, Co Louth.  Peppard was a prominent name in Drogheda in the middle ages and Peppards are listed as Mayors of the town.

Sean
McGee/Magee- Drogheda, Co Louth, Ireland
Kenny, Curran- Termonfeckin, Co Louth, Ireland
Coulter -Co Fermanagh, Ireland
Robinson- Co Tyrone, Ireland

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 07 19:19 BST (UK) »
Click here to see the John/Matthew Peppard Meath 1820-40 thread on Genforum ... that's the neighbouring county to Louth. There are currently seventeen posts about Peppards in Ireland on Genforum.

The House of Names website mentions that the surname Peppard was first found in Drogheda. The Peppards were descended from Gilbert de Angulo who was a Norman commander of Strongbow, the Earl of Pembroke.

Click for the webpage of McGoughs, McGeoughs, and McGeoghs in the civil parish of Donaghmoyne in Co. Monaghan which contains a number of references to the Peppards.

The National Library of Ireland has a collection of deeds and other Peppard family papers. Click here to read an article about Peppards on the GoIreland.com website.

1207 Ardee Castle, Co. Louth, which is the town's Courthouse today, was built by Roger de Peppard.
1220 Trim Castle, Co. Meath was almost completely altered and rebuilt by Richard Peppard.

Click to see references to Peppards in the Leixlip Chronology 1550  -  1585 Compiled by John Colgan.

Mayors of Drogheda
1570 Thomas Peppard
1688 Ignatius Peppard   Under James the Second's Charter

1689 Christopher Peppard (a son of Ignatious) wes a sitting member for Carlingford in the Irish Parliament.

Click here to see a lengthy list of Peppards in the "Council Book of the Corporation of Drogheda." 1649 - 1734

Freemen of Limerick 1746-1836
Peppar         Theobald            Esqre, Newtown Perry                                10/10/1791
Peppard        S. John             Ensign, L.C.M.                                           15/2/1813
Peppard        Richard             Printer, Thomas street                                12/4/1823
Peppard        John                Esqre, son of Richard Peppard, printer            25/6/1827

1837 John Peppard, M. D., of Limerick, subscribed to Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland.

1846 Slater's Directory of Ireland - Rathkeale, Co. Limerick.
Peppard John, Esq. Rockfield Tower
Peppard Robt, Esq. Cappagh House

Christopher

Offline foleyoni

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 07 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I remember reading somewhere on the Internet that his grandfather was from Louth and his mother from Wicklow. (My great-Grandmother was Catherine Peppard from Lusk, Co. Dublin). My mother presumed we were related to George too!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 November 07 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi foleyoni,

Welcome to RootsChat.

You arrived at the right moment. There are three Peppards in Co. Louth listed on the 1664 Hearth Money Roll for Drogheda ... Thomas, Ignatius and George, Aldern. I think Aldern means Alderman.

Whigmaleeries On Line Store shows Peppard as being from Co. Meath.

Have a look at the article by L. P. Murray in The County Louth Archaeological and Historical Journal volume VII number 4 (1932).

"The calendar of Ormond deeds: new light on the Peppard grant, 546-550".

Christopher

Offline Kalishoek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nec scire fas est omnia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 10 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am working on the Peppard family tree with a couple of other members, these are the Peppards  from Louth & Limerick and later Dublin
Our e-mail (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Researching the names, Healy, Breen, Dingley, Daly, O'Connell
Places : Mallow , county Cork, Dublin, New York and other US states
For the Netherlands, Kalishoek,Mulder,van der Vos, De Koning and more

Offline brpaggie07

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 April 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
I just got on this site for pretty much the same reason. I have the exact same story, except on my father's side. I am not too sure how to navigate this site yet but I wanted to see what you had found--I live in Texas--what a coincidence to see your post here...   I would enjoy finding out what you have found. Thanks!
-Ben

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 April 11 09:49 BST (UK) »
George Peppard's parents were George Senior and Vernelle Rohrer

George Senior was born in 1893 approx in Canada according to census records
He immigrated to the US in 1919
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder