Author Topic: BBC Teletext  (Read 2829 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BBC Teletext
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 07 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes it was certainly too much for me!

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 November 07 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Ascii codes were developed for a number of reasons and were used for many others ... but they allowed computers to communicate with and to a certain degree control various devices. Screens for displays, printers, teleprinters etc.

As part of the information sent an extra character was also sent as a control character which in some instances told the device to expect a command to follow.

Much of what was done by Ascii commands has now been covered over in the interfaces that we use to communicate with our machines but the codes still exist and can be used to produce "non standard" symbols using a standard keyboard.

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 November 07 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Much of what was done by Ascii commands has now been covered over in the interfaces that we use to communicate with our machines but the codes still exist and can be used to produce "non standard" symbols using a standard keyboard.

If you hold down the Alt key and use the numeric keypad (not the numbers at the top) and type in 0194 you get Â

If you use Windows, go into Accessories and look for the Character Map utility and then browse around for the character you want and look in the bottom right hand carner for Alt+ a number. e.g. in Times New Roman font,

Alt+198=Æ
Alt+0223=ß
Alt+0174=®

Extremely useful if you have a non-English speaking history like my Finish grandmother.
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 November 07 21:32 GMT (UK) »
A very warm welcome to Rootschatspof,and I trust we are going to get more lessons like this!Seriously though you have at least spoken of its practical use.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome.

Rootschat is a great place so if I can help I cerainly will.

Glen
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline Stumped!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:42 GMT (UK) »
But the odd thing is that the ASCII code For the £ sign is 0163 and that for the  is 0194 and that doesn't explain why the  is appearing in the BEEB's finance pages.
Peter

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure that the site that I was on had that  instead of the £  - so if you said, say. certificates  will cost £7 it would appear as  Â7 ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 November 07 23:06 GMT (UK) »
On the BBC Teletext they have £ and then the figure.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 November 07 23:13 GMT (UK) »
But the odd thing is that the ASCII code For the £ sign is 0163 and that for the  is 0194 and that doesn't explain why the  is appearing in the BEEB's finance pages.
Peter

This is where it gets technical and I'm quoting from memory so I stand to be corrected on any errors......

"Basic" ASCII is only 128 characters - your basic letters, capitals and numbers. Essentially a typewriter converted to a computer keyboard. "Extended" ASCII is all the other characters. If I recall correctly, there are verious implementations of it so one font will be slightly different to another. Picture going to a coffee shop and getting a basic coffee or each chain having similar but slightly different versions of the fancier drinks.

To globalise computers, ASCII is slowly being replaced by Unicode. I'm not that familiar with it but it basically assigns each written character in the languages of the world a "keystroke" for want of a better word (imagine Alt+13694 being used for a certain Chinese character). This will allow computer systems to operate at a low level using the same commands so a German version of Windows will deep down be the same as a Spanish one or a Japanese one. So apart from the keyboard layout, you could theoretically go to any PC in the world, click a few buttons and see it in your native language.

It also means MS and Apple and co won't have to write an operating system in each language.

I'm really enjoying this thread.  ;D