Author Topic: Inquest information - where can I find it?  (Read 4129 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Inquest information - where can I find it?
« on: Tuesday 28 December 04 19:27 GMT (UK) »
After a long wait, some certificates have finally arrived from the GRO. :)

For the deaths, I expected the usual set of heart attacks and senility but was staggered to find a suicide 'during a temporary attack of insanity'.

Now the question is - where do I find the report on the inquest. I know they tended to appear in newspapers, but there's no really obvious choice for the area (Norton St Philip, Somerset in 1888). What I wondered is - are there official inquest records anywhere, or is it only in newspapers we might find them? Also, has anyone any guidelines as to what sort of newspapers would carry the report and where I might start looking.

Thanks

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest information - where can I find it?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 19:44 GMT (UK) »
What about the local Record Office?  I know I've come across inquest reports in my local RO. 
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi suttontrust

Thanks - I was wondering about that, but wasn't sure that they fitted into any of their published categories. I suppose I could be very brave and ask them :-\

I'll have to get over being intimidated by record office staff some day....

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 19:58 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Local records office is where i found the one i posted in the common room see "Gloucester suicide !"  :)
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graceland

I read your entry on the suicide in the Severn - it was very moving :'(

I suppose that's why I want to follow this one up if I can - what would have pushed him to this level? He's my g g grandfather and was a Greenwich Pensioner (so possibly injured at sea, although I can't find out anything about that either) He's a real mystery as he only ever appears on 2 censuses, yet he died at 73. None of my family ever talked to me about their forebears and they're all dead now anyway so it's a real puzzle working out what made people tick

Angela

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

I've always found library staff to be most helpful - I would ask them!   Local libraries usually have all newspapers on fiche and as you have the date of death it shouldn't need much searching to see if there is mention of this event.

Best wishes.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

Thanks very much for your suggestion. Would you suggest going to the nearest local library to the place that he lived/died? Unfortunately, the area isn't immediately local so I'd need to make a trip of it. How big a local lobrary would usually have newspapers on fiche? I've never really ventured beyond the usual census and parish records route, so this is new to me...

Thanks again

Angela

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

I would try ringing the library nearest and see what they say.   If they don't have the records they will be able to point you in the right direction.   It is usually the bigger libraries that keep these records, i.e. city libraries.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Jill - I'll give it a go. I feel a bit hesitant about ringing up libraries and record offices in case they feel I'm wasting their time, but perhaps that's just a bit wimp-y ::)

I'll be brave and ring in the morning. Thanks again for your encouragement

Angela