Author Topic: WDYTYA is coming to SBSTV in OZ  (Read 63003 times)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA is coming to SBSTV in OZ
« Reply #495 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 06:46 GMT (UK) »
I've always taken the view that living relatives are off limits for public discussions, but the deceased are fair game. Is that the general ettiquette here?

NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I didn't see you there  ;D.

You said what I was trying to say ....

Ita is out there in the public eye - she's written a bio (or had one written) - she already knew a lot about her family history. I agree with nudge - anyone dead is fair game. Anyone possibly stilll living is not touched, or info privately PM'ed.

I remember a thread where rootschatters were looking for famous people in the census - it's all out there to be found ....

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 07:08 GMT (UK) »
So pleased that Ita's relative found us and has joined RC! 

I agree that dead people, especially when they have been discussed in the public arena, are fair game - but not living ones, of course!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 07:12 GMT (UK) »
I've always taken the view that living relatives are off limits for public discussions, but the deceased are fair game. Is that the general ettiquette here?

Yes   :)  - although for the recently deceased one tends to be somewhat circumspect. Family are usually still feeling that they don't want their names plastered all over the internet (well that's how I still feel about my Mum & Dad)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 07:12 GMT (UK) »
I agree with nudge - anyone dead is fair game.

The bit in red is a bit disrespectful as far as Im concerned that was not a nice respectful way of putting it. I lost my mum not so long ago and if anyone spoke of her that way then god help them.

Sorry but that is how I feel and nobody should be disrespectful to anyone who has passed over as it does and can upset the living family members by the way Nudge and Ruskie put it

Shanko

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanko

I don't think any disrespect was meant - I think I mentioned much of what you said directly above  :) - strange that when I started studying family history, I thought it would make it easier to farewell family - didn't work that way when my parents unexpectedly died within a few months of each other.

The role of RC, however, is to research those gone & we don't usually differentiate between last year and  years ago. No matter how I view things, my parents are my ancestors & on the tree with their birth and death dates.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 07:36 GMT (UK) »
no disrespect was intended.

I often get caught out on discussion boards by speaking in a broad aussie accent. one must remember when using colloquialisms, what is read can be different to how it is said.

I apologize for the misunderstanding
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry folks, but I have been out all day and missed the discussion.

Shanko, the information gathered about any of the Australian celebrities was not published on Rootchat threads. It was gathered from the internet, public records or published biographies. It was going to be revealed on television anyway, and what we gathered and shared by PM can now be seen over and over again on the DVD of each episode. Each of those people was obviously happy to have their family history made public, or they would not have consented to taking part in the show.

Ruskie, Trish, Marie, Gadget, and anyone else who is interested,I have the information about Ita's family still. I had saved it to a Word document.

To all of you who are interested in the new Rootschatter who is distantly connected to Ita, she is a second cousin several times removed to one of Ita's Scottish gg-grandmothers. She has PMed me again, but I was out and she is now offline. She tried to attach a copy of the tree to her PM but of course being new, she didn't realise that you can't do that. I have now PMed her back again, and we'll see what develops.

Anything I share with her at this stage is only what she could find out by watching the relevant episode. If I choose to help her more privately with information on her family line that is publicly available in South Australian records, I am doing no more than a paid researcher would do for her, the only difference being that I am helping as a friendly Rootschatter.

I have lots of questions to ask her, and I am hoping that she will feel welcome enough to post on this thread.

I'll keep you up to date,

......dee

Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 09:08 GMT (UK) »
I really hope she joins us, dee, and hope to be meeting her soon!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland