Author Topic: The Strang's  (Read 33671 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Strang's
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 26 April 08 00:42 BST (UK) »
Mells

I could only find 2 children for John Strang and Betty Izatt who married in Dunfermline on 16/11/1804

16/10/1805 STRANG JOHN born to JOHN STRANG/BETTY IZAT at Dunfermline /FIFE

04/02/1807 STRANG AGNES born to JOHN STRANG/BETTY IZAT atDunfermline /FIFE

Where did you find the births of the others?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 26 April 08 01:00 BST (UK) »
'Best fit' candidate for the birth of Janet Izatt going by the marriage date of 1755 would be this one

31/10/1731 IZAT JANET born to JOHN IZAT/AGNES ALLAN at Tulliallan /FIFE

As the OPR's are incomplete the correct Janet may not be recorded.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 26 April 08 03:21 BST (UK) »

Hello Mells & Sancti,

I took your advice and put on my "New Tricks" hat again. It still fits! Seriously though, I took out my original Ancestral Charts, you know, the old, dog-eared ones. I'm beginning to think that they aren't as "clapped-out" as I thought. This is what I originally had:

Janet Izat(t) was born on the 31st August, 1731 at Tulliallan, Perthshire and christened on 31st October, 1731, also at Tulliallan in Perthshire. Her parents were John EIZAT and Agnes ALLAN. John was born on the 3rd May, 1684 at Tulliallan in Perthshire. Agnes ALLAN was born on the 20th of July, 1695 at nearby Culross. John EIZAT married Agnes ALLAN on the 21st November, 1718 at Clackmannan.

Now we come to the "funny/peculiar" bit: Janet IZAT(T), who was born on 31st Aug and christened on 31st October, 1731 married a John STRONG (note the spelling)  on the 8th February, 1755 at Tulliallan in Perthshire. So, here's the spelling of STRONG. However, the records that I have show that his parents were John STRANG and Katharine Henderson.

You know me by now, and how I like to look at the naming patterns, so I expected to find the names John and Katharine in the names of John STRONG/STRANG's children, and I wsasn't disappointed! However, even on the list of children, the Surname kept changing. This is what it said:

John STRANG christened 10th April, 1757 at Tulliallan.
Andrew STRONG christened 13th May,1759 at Tulliallan.
Katherine STRONG christened 18th April, 1762 at Tulliallan.
Agnes STRONG christened 9th December, 1764 at Tulliallan.
William STRONG christened 1st April, 1770 at Tulliallan.
Helen STRONG christened 16th August, 1772 at Tulliallan.
Janet STRANG christened 20th November, 1774 at Culross, Perthshire.

As you can see, the spelling of the Surname is a bit of a dog's dinner, but the basic information, including those names, John and Katharine, seem to fit very well indeed. However, I only pencilled them in because of the uncertainty.

So, that's what I had. The other thing that I had was that Janet Izatt had a brother, William IZATT who was born around 1832, but at Alloa in Clackmannan, BUT, HE MARRIED on the 8th February, 1755 at TULLIALLAN IN PERTHSHIRE. His bride was Elspeth (Isabel) COUTS. One of their children was William IZATT, born 5th February, 1758 at Alloa, Clackmannan, BUT, WHO MARRIED Margaret Simpson on the 21st August, 1778 AT CULROSS IN PERTHSHIRE.

We know that William IZATT and Margaret Simpson were the parents of Elizabeth (Betsy) IZATT who married John STRANG on the 16th November, 1804 at Dunfermline in Fife.

And so I came full circle - back to the STRANG's!

As you can see, I had done quite a bit of work, but, everything was a bit "tentative", and I was reluctant to put that up as completely factual. If, after all, the information that I still have on my files is correct, then I can go back through the COUTS, the HUNTER's and so on, and so-forth. It's a good job that I didn't consign it all to my shredder!

I will be very interested to see if other researchers will retrace my footsteps, using the superior tools available to what I have, to see what they come up with. I'm not kidding when I say that I get terribly fatigued, because I do go to enormous lengths just to extract a "smidget" of information. Still, if other researchers find it of some use to them, then I'm happy to have been of assistance to them.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 26 April 08 06:16 BST (UK) »

Hello All,

Time for a bit of local knowledge, and by local, I'm talking about here in the State of Victoria in Australia. Gee! Bonnie Scotland seems an awful long way away!

I would think that our heads are spinning with the daily battle with "funny/peculiar" records, so I thought tht you might like to hear about some members of the Izatt family who emigrated out here in the late 1800's. Just like me, they didn't come with shackles on their legs!

William IZATT was born in Alloa, Clackmannanshire around the year 1802. His father was James Izatt and his mother Margaret .......... Children were: William, David, Euphemia, James and Margaret, and she was born in 1849 at Alloa.

The family set sail from dear old Blighty and upon arrival here in Australia,  settled at a place called Tarangulla in Victoria. William, the father, (the one born in 1802), had a saddlery, (if that's the right name) at Newbridge, Victoria, which is only a spit away from Tarangulla.

Margaret, (the lass born in 1849), married a John Bell in 1872 but, the poor soul died giving birth in 1876 at Newbridge, Victoria.

A sad little story, but a true one.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 26 April 08 09:31 BST (UK) »

Hello Mells,

How's this for a bit of information on your shiny new CD? I'm dying to look for this piece of information when I get mine. :D

John Strang, born 3rd May, 1782 at Tulliallan, Perthshire, son of John Strang and Margaret Westwater. Died at Elgin Colliery - 1847.May be an interesting read, eh?

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 26 April 08 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I've got stuck into the STRANG/STRONG story once again and hauled out my old dog-eared Ancestral Charts from the crypt once again. I kid you not - I've thumbed through them so often I've almost converted them into tissue paper! However, I think that it's only right that I should share my work with Mells, Sancti and all others researching the Strang family.

I'm going to take you all the way back to around 1640 at Tillicoultry in Clackmannanshire where John Strang was born. He married a Bessie Peacock on the 22nd of May, 1675 at Tulliallan in Perthshire. Bessie appears to have been born/christened at Culross in Perthshire or Tulliallan on 17th May, 1654.

Their children:

Abraham (or Abram) Strang was christened on 27th December, 1677 at Tulliallan in Perthshire. Now, that's quite an usual name, and so I was delighted to come upon it in the family again a bit later.

Andrew Strang christened 31st March, 1683 at Tulliallan in Perthshire.
William Strang christened 29th December, 1685 at Tulliallan, Perthshire.

John Strang christened 13th March, 1692 at Tulliallan. Here we have some interesting details that I'm sure you will agree really needs to be checked out. He went on to marry Katharine Henderson on 31st January, 1719 at Tulliallan. However, I also find that he was married before to a Margaret Thomson when he was only 16! The marriage date is given as 23rd December, 1708. As I said, this really needs to be checked out!

Agnes Strang christened 12th May, 1695 at Tulliallan in Perthshire.
Elspet Strang christened 9th October, 1698 at Tulliallan in Perthshire.

Now, you all know how interested I am in the Scots custom of "naming patterns", and so I want you to keep this posting firmly in front of you as I move on to other generations. However, I don't want to confuse you with a mass of information all on one posting, so I'll end here and see you on my next posting.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 26 April 08 11:56 BST (UK) »

Hello Again,

John Strang was one of the sons of John Strang, Snr and Bessie Peacock. He was born/christened on 13th March, 1692 at Tulliallan in Perthshire. I have already mentioned that I believe he married at the age of 16 to Margaret Thomson on 23rd December, 1709 at Kincardine by Doune, Perthshire and then to Katharine Henderson on the 31st January, 1719 at Tulliallan in Perthshire. If I'm going too fast - just slow me down - if you dare! >:(

Their children: (I'll use the spelling STRANG. After all, that's how their father and grandfather spelt it!

Robert Strang christened 8th May, 1720 at Tulliallan in Perthshire.
Elizabeth Strang christened 25th February, 1722 at Tulliallan in Perthshire.
William Strang christened 29th March, 1724 at Tulliallan in Perthshire.
Janet Strang christened 11th June, 1725 at Tulliallan in Perthshire.

Remember this name? Abram Strang christened 14th June 1728 at Tulliallan.

John Strang christened 5th November, 1732 at Tulliallan in Perthshire. He went on to marry Janet Izat(t) at Tulliallan in Perthshire on the 5th December, 1755. I think that Janet was christened on the 31st October, 1731 at Tulliallan in Perthshire.

Helen Strang christened 2nd February, 1735 at Tulliallan in Perthshire.

Now, I'm sure that you don't want me to repeat what has already been stated in the postings that I've made previously about the John STRONG/STRANG marriage to Janet Izat(t). What appears to be surrounded by some controversy, is that John Strang, (spelt STRONG)was christened on 10th April, 1757, and he had a number of brothers and sisters, including Andrew, Katharine, (named after her grandmother?),Agnes, Helen and Janet.

Maybe you would like to carry the torch from this point on, because, it's 8.55 pm., here in Melbourne and I'm feeling a wee bit tired. A nice cup of tea and a piece of my wife's apple pie should help quite a bit. :D

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline Mells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 26 April 08 20:13 BST (UK) »
>>Why so many children for John STRANG/Betsy IZATT when only two can be found in the OPR??  OK, so we have the birth records for John and Agnes (witnesses for her, by the way, were Robert Murgan and Joseph Thomson, just in case they show up again). 

Probably a major reason that some of our ancestors are missing from baptismal records has to do with the breakaway religious groups, the dissenters, etc., who handled their own separate baptisms.  A lot of these records have yet to make their way out of obscurity and into our reach.  There was also a short period of time, late 1700s I think, when there was a fee attached to baptism, and our folks may have preferred to put food on the table rather than pay the fee.  Beyond those two possibilities, I don’t know.  There weren’t many people in those days who would think of not protecting their kids from the wrath of God … Damnation … and Hell!

But we know about the other kids of STRANG/IZATT from death records.  And, of course, after finding out who the spouses were through those death records, the census records helped fill in some more blanks.

MARGARET STRANG d. age 90 in 1899, widow of John THOMSON, Crossgates.

JANET STRANG turns up as widow of James WATTERS, d. 3 Nov. 1876, Wellwood Colliery.  (Halbeath, Wellwood – both STRANG/WESTWATER strongholds, by the way.)

ELIZABETH STRANG we already know about. D. 1890, widow of Archibald COOK, Dalgety.

MARION/MAY STRANG (This one was recently mentioned on rootschat.)    D. 1893, Cowdenbeath, married to William CAMPBELL.  Mother’s name was given as Isabella, but apparently that is an acceptable substitute for Elizabeth.  (I haven’t personally looked at this record.)

BETSY STRANG, single, d. 1904 at Crossgates.

So those are the six daughters of John STRANG & BETSY IZATT, if I am not mistaken.  All accounted for in the records.   I know of only one of the three sons – John, the firstborn in 1805.  Sure would like to know the others.

>>The death information on John STRANG, sp. of Betsy IZATT, comes from the Aberdour Poor House Registry.  Betsy was living with her youngest, unmarried daughter Betty in Crossgates.  The entry was made in 1849, two years after her husband died at Elgin Colliery.  The record states that there were 9 children: 3 sons and 6 daughters, all but the youngest Betty married.
(The United Secession Church seems to have been running the poor house.  One of those breakaway churches I was talking about earlier.)

Offline Mells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 26 April 08 20:27 BST (UK) »
There has been so much chatter while I was not paying attention!  Hope I can continue to catch up a little bit at a time. 

>>Known STRANG/WESTWATER kids:  John, Wm., Janet, Andrew, Robert and
THOMAS, correct birth date: 12 Nov 1807.

>>The OPR says that John STRANG and Betty IZAT’s son John was born (1805) in Halbeath.  Well, Halbeath was where the STRANG/WESTWATER family was.  Interesting, huh?  And this is also interesting:  The witnesses, also in Halbeath, were James Izat and Archibald Bowman, Jr.  Some names pop up over and over again, not only IZAT but also BOWMAN!  BOWMANS married both IZATTS and STRANGS.  But let’s leave that for another century!

>> STRONG  … STRANG  -- These are two spellings of the same name.  No worries.  And the marriage you two pulled out of the records is the one I chose, too:  John IZAT & Agnes ALLAN. 

>> And now, Tom!  Are you saying the death cd gives the parents names of Betsy IZATT’s John STRANG who d in 1847 as my very own John STRANG & Margaret WESTWATER?!!!!  I just knew it!!!!!  And now the proof!!!!!!!!!!   

But I don’t have the cd, Tom.  I have the old one, which I have given up on trying to load onto my new computer. . . . . . .

More later   , , ,  M.