Author Topic: The Strang's  (Read 33565 times)

Offline Mells

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Strang's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
I'll try another newbie posting.  The first one worked out ok.  (But I wonder where I am going to find other replies to Tom's - or my - posts . . . .)

JAMES STRANG married Ann HONEYMAN at Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland on the 17th January, 1859:

This James was son of Robert STRANG & Mary BURT and grandson of my 3x gr grandparents - John STRANG & Margaret WESTWATER.

Ann HONEYMAN was dau of David HONEYMAN & Catherine BROWN. 

They were coal mining families in Wellwood, Dunfermline, Fife.

You may already have this info, but it is good practice for me. .. . .

Cheers, Mells

Offline Mells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 22:23 BST (UK) »

Now we're getting to my family - John STRANG & Margaret WESTWATER.  It's no fun that there are gaps in the birth records.  But I've looked through a number of census reports and BDMs of their children and grandchildren and I have not found any boys named Charles. 

Oops . . .   Andrew wasn't born in Culross.  The family had already reached Wellwood, Dunfermline, when he was born, and that's where they settled down.

Mells

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Mells

Re finding posts, yours and others. You should get an email notification of replies to your posts. In my case, this doesn't always happen so when I log on I click on the tab 'Show new replies to your posts' on the top right hand corner and this will bring up (100%!) all replies to your posts or threads that you have posted on.

To find replies for another Rootschat member's posts, you can do this two ways:

1. Click on the 'Search RootsChat' button, top centre. You will then see: 'Search for' and also 'By User'. For example, you could search for 'Strang' and then 'tommagregor' and this will then bring up all the posts that Tom has included a Strang reference in his posting.

2. The other way, click on Tom's username on one of his posts, this then brings up a personal screen for Tom. At the bottom under 'Additional info', second down you will see 'Show the last posts of this rootschatter'. This then brings up all of Tom's posts in chronological order, last one first.

Have a play!

Sorry Tom, using you as an example  ;)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Monica.  I got a notification email!

Next I need to figure out how to insert my name interests.  I bet the help site, or whatever it's called, will have something on the subject . . ..      M.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 23:02 BST (UK) »
If you go right to the bottom of the page from the main screens, you will see about 6 tabs starting with Copyright....  No.3 is 'Your surname interests', click on that and it will take you to the relevant section.

Monica

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 23:09 BST (UK) »

Hello Monica,

I have only just hopped out of bed about an hour ago, i.e. 7.00 a.m. here in Melbourne to see your postings to Mell. No need to apologise to me - I'm delighted that you have helped Mell to get onto my postings about the Strangs, Izatts, Honeyman's, etc. I think that your postings explaining how to see all postings on a specific family is excellent, and will greatly assist quite a lot of people.

Again, many thanks for your kindness.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 05:50 BST (UK) »

Hello again, Mell,

Your comment about YOUR FAMILY, i.e. John Strang who married Margaret Westwater made me smile a bit. I remember making a similar comment about the records some time ago, so, join the club!

What you're probably experiencing is a bit of confusion between the marriage of John Strang to MARGARET Westwater and the marriage of John Strang to JANET Westwater. That drove me to distraction at the time, if I recall. (Sancti, will probably tell you that I've never recovered, but pay no heed, we are always pulling each other's legs - sometimes to the consternation of poor Monica).

I commented that John Strang married Margaret Westwater on the 26th February, 1781 at Tulliallan in Perthshire. That is an EXTRACTED MARRIAGE RECORD, not one merely submitted by a member of the LDS. If you went on to the International Genealogical Index, you would see that the first child was set down as Janet Strang born on 15th May, 1786 at Culross. I had to bite my tongue a bit because five years after the marriage didn't seem right to me somehow, and I didn't want to sound rude in any way to the people on RootsChat. After a bit of "digging", I came across a birth for William Strang who was born on 1st December, 1784 and christened on the 5th December, 1784. The parents? You've guessed correctly: John Strang and Margaret Westwater!

As I was "having a bit of a play" with bits and pieces of data that I had amassed, I noted that a John Strang was born on 3rd May, 1782 and christened on the 5th May. His parents were John Strang and JANET Westwater. Now you can see the kind of problems that we all get into from time to time.

Let me say this publicly, Mell. There are people on Rootschat who are most kind, and will do their level best to assist you. I could mention people like Monica and Sancti and risk a flea in my ear for mentioning it, but, I mean it in all sincerity - there are people who are only too pleased to help you out.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 08:56 BST (UK) »
Tom and Mells

The OPR's on SP dont show a marriage for a Janet Westwater only these marriage records

18/01/1781 STRANG JOHN married MARGARET WESTWATER at Clackmannan /CLACKMANNAN

26/02/1781 STRANG JOHN married MARGT. WESTWATER at Tulliallan /FIFE

I dont know if the tradition at the time was to register the marriage at the bride's parish first, which would indicate Margaret being from Clackmannan.

I had a look at christenings on SP and got these

05/05/1782 STRANG JOHN born to JOHN STRANG/JANET WESTWATER at Tulliallan /FIFE (possible transcription error for mothers name)

05/12/1784 STRANG WILLIAM born to JOHN STRANG/MARGT. WESTWATER at Tulliallan /FIFE

20/05/1787 STRANG JANET born to JOHN STRANG/MARGARET WESTWATER at Culross (Perth) /PERTH

03/03/1793 STRANG ANDREW born to JOHN STRANG/MARGARET WESTWATER at Dunfermline /FIFE

29/08/1802 STRANG ROBERT born to JOHN STRANG/MARGARET WESTWATER at Dunfermline /FIFE

22/11/1807 STRANG THOMAS born to JOHN STRANG/MARGARET WESTWATER at Dunfermline /FIFE

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 09:30 BST (UK) »
In respect of the reading of the Banns for the marriage of John Strang and Margaret Westwater, there are appears to be a further reading, on the same date as the one in Clackmannan on 18 JAN 1781 Alloa, Clackmannan, Scotland.

Monica