Author Topic: GenesReunited advice needed  (Read 10358 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: GenesReunited advice needed
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thats a good idea Linda to keep your children and close family on another tree

Just went back into my tree and had a look at the person who has done a lot of copying from mine , she even has my children in her tree this I feel is very unfair of her

Can I ask is there a way to download my tree  from GR to a CD

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 16:59 GMT (UK) »
They are not allowed to add living people without the express permission of those people ~ and I personally don't think that minors should be considered capable or mature enough to give permission.

Make them remove minors, and any adults who haven't given permission. This is what I have had to do in the past.

Now I've hidden my living relatives. I never had my husband children, sibling, etc, on because I think too much info on the Internet is not wise. I have even done what was advised by someone else on here ~ not put a date of death for my father and 'hidden' him.

The Internet can be a dangerous place. We can benefit such a lot from the help and support of other genealogists, but we must remember that anyone can access the information on the 'World Wide Web'.  We must be cautious.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tricia I think I will send a mail to this person

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi i wonder if the person who has been in touch with you is the same one who got in touch with me last April he was supposed to have an ancestor  with the same name as one of mine in his tree and he only had himself on the tree and still has i could not make anything of him so i took my tree of his computer he would not tell me anything about his ancestors so i refused to keep in touch i felt uncomfortable with him. be carefull. Margaret55.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I have sent an e-mail to the person who had my children and grandchildren added to their tree and they have removed them and apologized to me

Elizabeth

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 February 08 00:16 GMT (UK) »
That's good news.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 February 08 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I've made some great contacts via Genes. Be careful before you allow strangers into your tree make sure you have 'hidden' your live rellies, I keep the more sensitive information on a private tree which no one but my family can see.

Linda

Just what I have done, I have seen some Genes users who put even the shoe sizes on it (well you know what I mean) and they are so open to identity theft.

I have 707 names in my tree now and everyone who is alive is now marked as eg "living Jones" born "1970" place "England". So an outsider has no chance of working out who they are

My family tree maker s/w is the only place I have all the details, safe on my pc behind a firewall, and the online is just dead rellies and very little on the living.

It just had to be done - I had my debit card cloned about a year ago - so now I take great care in all my private data. Unlike the goverment ;D

Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Cember

• RootsChat Senior
  • Perhaps I should record parents names and ages?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 November 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I have only about a hundred rellies on my tree in GR - keeping it simple .
I have just found someone with a match for a dozen of my rellies - a couple of complete families.I messaged them with a question, and they replied with a simple "I have shared my tree", but without answering the question.
So I've had a look on their tree but nowhere can I see a link I've been up and down the names we have in common and there is a dead end in all directions.
As their tree contains over 78,500 names could I reasonably deduce that they are not connected and are simply collecting names ?
what does the team think?  ;)
Smith-Somerset 1806
Oliver-Thorverton 1800
Fowler- Wooton-U-Edge 1780
Page - Wooton-U-Edge 1760
Bishop Wolverhampton 1795
Witham-Fyfield 1782
Attwood -Rowley Regis 1780
Perry - Oldswinford -1750
Edmunds-Oldswinford -1730
Warr - Dudley- 1758
Sowden- Cradley -1749
Ingley - Rowley Regis -1760
Attwood - Dudley -1650
Suthewike - Oldswinford- 1614
Jesty- Dorset - 1800
Bishop - Somerset -1732

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 November 08 09:43 GMT (UK) »
 i get a lot of people asking about my ancestors and if we share trees and they turn out not to be mine i remove my tree of their computer.i also wonder how people can say they have a connection when they only have themselves on their tree.gr keep sending matches and most of the time they are way of the mark and are no where near a match. i have met up with a relative from my tree and we get on very well we are very distant cousins but is nice to find someone connected.margaret55.