Author Topic: 1841 census look-up pls - AUSTEN  (Read 2744 times)

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1841 census look-up pls - AUSTEN
« on: Sunday 24 February 08 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, would someone be kind enough please to check the 1841 census records for a Mary B Austen [nee Walker].  She was born 1797 so would have been mid 40's in the census.  She was also a widow by then and had at least one child Joseph who would have been 3 or 4.
Cheers
Julie
AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look-up pls - AUSTEN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 February 08 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

Any clues out there ie. where any of them were born/lived and/or when/where do they next turn up?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 08 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi.
Can't believe I was so stupid and didn't put a place name down  :-[  sorry
Mary was born in Brenchley but had her son in Rolvenden where her husband was born and also died so I'm assuming that's where she would still have been living.
Thanks heaps
Julie
AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 08 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Julie, I can't see them :-\

I've noticed other people on the web saying Joseph AUSTEN and Mary B (nee WALKER) had a son Joseph bc1816 - would she have had two sons named Joseph?

Do you know when/where this Joseph bc1836-1838 next turns up?

Casalguidi

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 February 08 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi again and thanks heaps for taking the time to look for me.
I only have one son Joseph b 1816 for Joseph and Mary.  Joseph snr died 2 months after young Joseph was born.  They were married in 1797 in Brenchley so looking at that marriage date I would assume there would have had to have been older children.  Haven't been able to find any though as yet.
Cheers
Julie

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 February 08 10:12 GMT (UK) »
There are these AUSTENs - not sure if it's any help :-\

1841 Rolvenden

Joseph AUSTEN 25 ag lab b.Kent
Mary 20 b.Kent
William 5m b.Kent

HO107/475 folio 32 page 7

1841 Rolvenden

Joseph AUSTEN 35 carpenter b.Kent
Mary 30 b.Kent
Frederick 5 b.Kent

HO107/475 folio 18 page 2

1851 Rolvenden

Joseph AUSTEN head mar 56 carpenter b.Rolvenden
Mary wife 59 schoolmistress b.Tenterden
Frederick grandson 15 b.Rolvenden
James KADWELL lodger 12 b.Rolvenden

HO107/1620 folio 24 page 4

1851 Rolvenden

Joseph AUSTEN head mar 37 ag lab b.Rolvenden
Mary A wife 33 b.Benenden
Hannah dau 8 b.Rolvenden
Mary dau 5 b.Rolvenden
Mary WICKEN visitor unm 38 house servant out of place b.Dartford
James POILE lodger unm 22 ag lab b.Rolvenden

HO107/1620 folio 56 page 3

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 February 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

I have looked at the Mid Kent Marriage Index and there appears to be only one marriage of a Joseph AUSTEN to Mary (it happens to that of a Joseph AUSTEN to Mary WALKER) in that area at that time.

http://woodchurchancestry.org.uk/midkentmarriages/index.php

Are you sure that Joseph (husband of Mary WALKER) died c1816 - could he not be the one listed below (still in Rolvenden 1851)?

1851 Rolvenden

Frederick grandson 13/15 b.Rolvenden

I can't see any of them after 1851 - did they emigrate - assuming they didn't die ???

There is also a Mary WALKER baptised Tenterden who would fit this lady birthwise http://www.familysearch.org :-\

I was wondering if the "grandson" Frederick could be the son, Joseph, that you are looking for - the age and birthplace would be about right. 

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi

Thank you so much for going to all this trouble.   Thanks also for that website link, it's great by the way, I hadn't seen it before.  Is there one similar where I can look for births/deaths do you know?

The marriage date I have for Joseph and Mary Walker is 02.04.1797 in Brenchley and Joseph's death I have as 24.11.1816 Rolvenden.  Mary's birth I have as 02.04.1979 Brenchley.   The 1851 census info you listed I don't think is my Joseph and Mary as I can't find a Frederick anywhere.  Having said that I only have one child for them - Joseph b 1816 [he married a Sophia Lewis and they had 12 children, none of which were called Frederick].  If however their marriage date in 1797 is correct, then it seems very unlikely to me that there would have been no other children born before Joseph in 1816.  Something somewhere is obviously not correct with the info I have I think. 

This info I got from other Austen family researchers so obviously can't guarantee it's authenticity as I don't know where they got it.

That baptism in the IGI site for Mary Walker isn't my Mary as the parents of mine are Samuel Walker and Grace Swift.

And yes some of the Austen's did emigrate [although I'm only concentrating on the ones that came here to Australia. 

Cheers
Julie

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 February 08 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

I think you have a lot of stuff that needs checking out there.  If your Joseph AUSTEN was baptised Rolvenden 24 Nov 1816 son of Joseph and Mary (I wonder if her maiden name comes from Joseph's death certificate - I'm not too sure about Australian records?) then it would make much more sense to me that he was the son of a Joseph AUSTEN and Mary WALKER who married in Rolvenden just three months before his baptism rather than a couple who married 20 years previously with no earlier children yet found :-\

I thought this family below looked a good possibility for the parents of your Joseph who married Sophia LEWIS - can you find out if they emigrated to Australia too?

1851 Rolvenden

Frederick grandson 13/15 b.Rolvenden

When you began, you were looking for a Joseph AUSTEN bc1837/1838 Rolvenden ............................ where did you learn about him from ie. when/where does he next turn up/why was you looking for him?

Casalguidi :-\