Author Topic: 1841/1851 Census - BOWEN  (Read 5660 times)

Offline SteveSims

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • English + Irish + Welsh + Scots + German = Aussie
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 census
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 May 06 04:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks EBN,

I didn't know that, but am not surprised as the Baynhams were in business (glazing, painting, etc.) in Bridge Street in early 1800's.

The family was from Yazor & Mansell Lacy, but son George Baynham went to Kington early 1800s & married local Susannah James Lewis.

I have passed your info about Samuel Baynham & Elizabeth Eckley marriage to other family researchers, and let's say there's some excitement. Sam has been hard to trace, but it seems likely that he is the missing link of the Herefordshire Baynhams to those of Gloucestershire - sheriffs in the 1300s and with a tree back to the 1000s... naturally we're keen to link Sam to published pedigrees, which end in mid 1600s...

Cheers
Steve in Oz

PS Is what I have heard right, that Kington has the best old book stores in the UK? I'm planning a few months visit in 2007 (long service leave) and hope to spend much of it in HEF if I can find the right B&B for a long stay.
My English ancestry from Berkshire Buckingham Cumberland Gloucester Hereford Hampshire Lancashire London Somerset Staffordshire Warwick Wiltshire Worcester Yorkshire ... so far

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 May 06 08:34 BST (UK) »

Kington has a very active History Society with a huge database pf people and places in the area and across the Border into Wales. I am certain they will have a lot of extra bits of infomation about your Baynhams. 

The book shop has many old books about Herefordshire, and there are also good book shops in Ledbury and Ross on Wye too with a range of local books. 

Offline andyscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 November 06 23:10 GMT (UK) »
The place for bookshops is Hay on Wye. When I visited there I found that the house of my Grt grt Grandfather, Robert Baynham, at 6 Broad Street was now a bookshop. Robert was son of George Baynham who lived in Kington. Robert is buried in a grave in Salem Baptist Church, Castle Lane, Hay. Like his father he was a plumber.
There is a local studies in Kington Library, but I found that their computer database was incomplete. It is worth visiting Kington to see Hergest Ridge.

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 November 06 09:45 GMT (UK) »

Andy - What the Kington History Society do have and no one else does as far as I know is an index of all the local newspaper entries for named people. You can find out what they were up to when not on the census or being born, marrying and dying. A very interesting source !  These are I believe about be be microfilmed.

If you feel their database is incomplete then I suggest you join Hereford Family History Society and use their extensive county-wide databases.