Author Topic: HMAS Sydney found  (Read 4325 times)

Offline alftabor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alf
    • View Profile
HMAS Sydney found
« on: Monday 17 March 08 05:33 GMT (UK) »
After 67 years I might find out what happened to my Uncle
Leading Seaman Gunner Frederick (Arthur) Tabor
wrecks of the Sydney and her destroyer Kormoran have been found in territorial waters off the Coast of Western Austalia
My uncle whom I saw some three weeks before his disappearance
has haunted my imagination for most of my Life
Closure maybe even description of the last  hours of is life
Requiescat in Pace
Tabor=Wiltshire-Australia-Japan-Argentina/Canada/USA
Millman=Dorset-Australia
Oxlade=Buckinghamshire-Australia
Wilkins=Wiltshire-Australia
Bassett=Bermondsey,Australia
Alt=London,Nagasaki,Surrey

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
Re: HMAS Sydney found
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 March 08 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Alf, I am very pleased for you and all the families of those lost on the Sydney. I am sure there will be more information as time passes now that the ship has finally been found.

We will remember them.

.....dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 March 08 05:50 GMT (UK) »

We all owe a great deal to those who fought for us in WW2 and who thus enabled us to have the freedoms we still have.
It is good that closure may now be possible for those who had family members on the Sydney.

We all  need, as we are thankful for what was done for us in WW2 , to remain vigilant to the tcurrent hreats to our liberty lest their sacrfice be in vain

charlotte

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 March 08 06:29 GMT (UK) »
We do owe them an enormous debt and hopefully now their families may find closure and peace.

RIP

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 March 08 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Here's a fairly brief but comprehensive report on it. I caught just a bit on the news tonight but unfortunately we had guests so couldn't get all of it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=a4tpuENydOng&refer=australia
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 March 08 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps at last we may find why none of her crew survived.  There has always been much speculation.  They deserve our respect for their supreme sacrifice.

Let's also hope that any analysis which follows is more accurate than the initial references to Sydney as a heavily armed battleship. This ship was only a relatively lightly armed light cruiser.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 01:33 GMT (UK) »
 Re Imber's remark that our respect is needed for our armed servicemen- there is an item in this weeks Weekly Telegraph saying that because of the nastiness/abuse  of some of the public towards the soldiers/airmen in Peterborough, the commandant of the local base has told them not to wear their uniforms in public if off duty. 
The Queen is said to be very put out- as am I.

Why don't the local police stop the public from abusing our servicemen? If we allow this sort of thing we allow disorder to grip our country.  If people don't like things in Peterbrough they should go and live elsewhere.  Our freedoms and our respect for order and those who protect us are very important. We need to be  vigilant and speak up before it is too late.

charlotte

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Re Imber's remark that our respect is needed for our armed servicemen- there is an item in this weeks Weekly Telegraph saying that because of the nastiness/abuse  of some of the public towards the soldiers/airmen in Peterborough, the commandant of the local base has told them not to wear their uniforms in public if off duty. 
The Queen is said to be very put out- as am I.

Why don't the local police stop the public from abusing our servicemen? If we allow this sort of thing we allow disorder to grip our country.  If people don't like things in Peterbrough they should go and live elsewhere.  Our freedoms and our respect for order and those who protect us are very important. We need to be  vigilant and speak up before it is too late.

charlotte

I'm speechless, this is outrageous!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Caz

PS Couldn't agree with your comments more Charlotte!
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Cazza- This below  is online- got it by googling Peterborough AND uniforms.  Not the original I saw in the W. telegraph but same topic.
Fancy some weak sooks[ "Officials"] saying "It's not worth antagonizing people"- unbelievable.
Maybe the person who said this is a descendants of Neville Chamberlain.
charlotte

~~~~~~~~------
Peterborough RAF Uniform Ban
The Defence Secretary says he hopes RAF airmen in Peterborough will soon be allowed to wear their uniforms freely about the city again.

It's after we broke the story exclusively on Hereward FM on Thursday that bosses at RAF Wittering have told them not to - because of the abuse they've been getting.

"This is not a situation we should not tolerate," defence secretary Des Browne is quoted as saying.

"It is a great shame that some individuals in this community don't respect our forces, who are daily doing a great deal for this nation."

Bosses at RAF Wittering told personnel not to wear their uniforms in the city a couple of months ago after a number of them had been given verbal abuse.

Officials tell us several incidents led to the decision and they say it's not worth antagonising people.

"I live in Peterborough and go to work in the morning," one airman told us, on condition we protected his identity. "I have to go in civilian clothes, change into my uniform when I get to work, change back when I come home - so I don't offend the community."

An urgent investigation has been launched by the MoD - it's also reported the Prime Minister has ordered a police crackdown.