Author Topic: TREASE/TRAIES continued...  (Read 99310 times)

Offline oldmanriver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TREASE/TRAIES continued...
« Reply #216 on: Friday 28 November 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Just a quick comment that I intended posting earlier, relating to the enrollment certificate of William TRAIES.  He had enrolled in the militia in December 1987 and had agreed to serve for five years.  You were a bit puzzled by the certificate being dated April 1802.

The Peace of Amiens which ended the war with France had been signed 25 March 1802 and it was agreed that all branches of the militia were to be disbanded.  This meant he did not have to serve until December 1802 as originally agreed, but was officially discharged in April 1802, soon after the signing of the peace.

Maybe as you have already suggested he could have lost a certificate given to him at the time of enrollment or maybe they were not given a certificate until they had served their time.   In his case this was in April 1802 and not December 1802 as originally agreed.

Unfortunately, the peace did not last long and the militia was resumed just 14 months later (but presumably without William TRAIES).

Bernice   

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Saturday 29 November 08 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bernice,

Thanks for your post. What you say explains both the date and the filing of the enrolment certificate under the heading of discharge papers. I would never found that out -  just like I would never have thought of looking up pre 1841 censuses - never knew about them. That is the benefit of research teamwork, I guess.

I wonder what William did after leaving the militia - he would have been freed up for full time work but would he have gone back to his old trade of fuller? Would he have gone back to Exeter where the old trades seemed in decline? James's daughter Jane was born 7 years later. James must have met up with William assuming he was still in London.

I am sure we will discover much more although the sources of the information are not immediately apparent.

Regards,

Bob

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Sunday 30 November 08 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kerry,

Thanks for raising the the unsolved mystery of the 1831 Bunhill burial of William Traies of Powell Street - I'd clean forgotten about it.
Of the TRAIES family we know of he could theoretically be a son of  William Masters TRAIES and Henriette Louisa KIRBY
http://www.trease.org.uk/traies/txt/txt17w_mb.htm#18j_em
or he could be the son of William TRAIES and Hannah KNIGHT on the other branch of the family but both appear improbable.
but there are two other unplaced TRAIES references:-
1. The seaman’s will of George TRAIES of HMS Boadicea 1804. George clearly signs his name as TRAIES and leaves his property to his beloved mother Ann TRAIES living in Stonehouse Plymouth (but there were Trayes/Treays families there including an Ann)
2. Elizabeth TRAIES (allegedly signed that way) who witnesses two marriages at the church of St Matthew Bethnal Green on 27Jul1834 – John LAKE & Jane Welch TUCKER and Mary Ann TUCKER & Robert Francis SCAIF.  John LAKE and his wife subsequently named a daughter born in Southwark Mar Q 1847 Elizabeth Trayes LAKE. It could just be a coincidence but James’s uncle Joseph TRAIES was like his brother William (whom we now know had links to this part of London) a soldier and his wife’s maiden name was Mary LAKE and his family seem to disappear leaving no trace.

It is just possible that the above named are not true TRAIES and are of another TR**S family. When next in LMA I’ll look up the St Matthew Bethnal Green marriage and baptism records and also see if I can find William Traies's baptism.
Does anyone know where Powell Street was in 1831?

Regards,

Bob

Dear Bob

It would be interesting to know who this poor young chap was, and also cross him off being yet another child of our James.  Lets hope we can find out. 

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline oldmanriver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Re. William TRAIES of Powell Street, buried Bunhill Fields Burial Ground.

Kerry wanted to know which family he belonged to and Bob asked where is Powell Street.  I don't know which family he belonged to, but I have now been able to locate Powell Street.

Try going to www.archivemaps.com.  Near the top of the page you will see London Maps printed.  Click on this and up comes a variety of interesting maps of London.  Click on the one called 'Mogg's Strangers Guide to London 1834'.  There is a street index which tells you which section you need to click to locate the street you require.  Powell Street is listed as Section E1.  Look for a small green square called Kings Square and just below it is Powell Street.  Powell Street  leads into City Road.

Bunhill Row is on Section E2 of the map.  Bunhill Fields Burial Ground is on land that stretched from Bunhill Row to City Road, so was very close to where little William TRAIES had lived.  I think Powell Street would have come under the parish of St. Luke's, Old Street.

Bunhill Fields has a very interesting history and was originally called Tindals Burying ground - some early maps still use this name.  I first became interested in Bunhill Fields when I discovered three of my own ancestors had been  buried there in the early 1800's.

On the same site that I used to find Powell Street in 1834, other maps and plans are available.  One that may be of interest to Kerry, is St. Marylebone church in 1829.  Just click on it and it a good picture of the church and surrounding area at that time comes up - sadly it doesn't help us to find those missing baptisms though!  However, we do know that this was where 'your' Samuel and 'my husband's' Ann TRAIES were christened.

best wishes

Bernice 

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bernice

Very interesting, interestingly enough, in 1861 Samuel Traies (James son) was living at Pickard Street which Powell Street seems to go off.  Renamed something else now though and on the 1834 map seems to be York Street! And the Turner family lived quite close as well near the basin.  Emma, Samuel's daughter married James Turner.  It feels a bit more real when you can track it like that!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Bob

You might be interesting in looking at reply #21 of this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=345587.new#new  I happened to notice that Frank Collins married an Elizabeth Trayes in Plymouth and my Traies alarm went off.  Justkia thinks she might have found a birth for her.

Kerry  :D

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kerry,

Thanks for that - it definitely fits - I'll add that to the website plus the census details. In Post 23 the John Force/Jane Townsend Exeter marriage of 1784 is interesting it is the same year and location as the Samuel Traies/Jane Townsend marriage - may be just a coincidence but they could be related I guess.

Bob

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Arr I knew the name Townsend rang a bell, definitely worth investigating further.

Kerry

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Traies researchers :)

Sorry to interrupt this conversation  :P  but have been doing a little investigating ... this is for Bob!

I think I have your William Traies = Maria Downman

Trinity, Exeter
South??y
William Traies 45 Painter Y
Maria 38 Y
William 14 Y
John 11 Y
Henry 5 y
Sarah Causey 26 FS Y

transcribed as PEAIRS   ;D

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James