Author Topic: TREASE/TRAIES continued...  (Read 99322 times)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TREASE/TRAIES continued...
« Reply #279 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

I have searched the NA for anything on John Martin, Devon...it's a hard name to search as both are first names ...cannot see anything as of yet!

what about ordering the WILL of John Martin, Poughill ...it may state some rellies on Mary Trays/Traies nee ?? side of the family.

deb :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
Had a nother thought in the middle of the night.

Kerry

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have them often and sometimes dream about dead peeps ....some times not even my own .... am I sad or what??  ;D 8)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
No sadder than me Deb  ::) ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Kelpie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello m'dears,

Back again after being memerised by all the John Martins and Marys !!!

The 1821 will is that of John Martin's father, very simple just naming his sons, no wives mentioned.

Deb suggested this couple,

The nearest Mary Traies I can find is born circa 1764 Crediton d/o William and Mary ...next one is born 1787 ...none in 1774, 

but she married William Jackman and mention in the will of  her father,William Traies 1812.

I found the orignal entry for the marriage 3 Jan 1797, and though very hard to read it looks like widow and soldier.

I have found this marriage:

Joseph Traies marr. Mary Lake 25 Dec 1786 in Exeter St. Sidwell.

There are 3 possibles for Mary:
dau. of John and Mary Lake chr. 21 Nov 1767, Shobrook
dau. of John and Joan Lake chr. 16 Mar 1763, Throwleigh
dau. of John and Eliz. Lake chr. 8 Dec 1763 Bow, Mint Meeting Exeter

This does not quite tie in with her age [b. abt 1774] on the 1841 census, but that can be very variable I understand.

I think perhaps ? Joseph Traies was the son of Samuel Trease and Elizabeth chr. 28 Apr 1761 St Peter, Exeter Cathedral.

Sadly no burials of the above yet, more work to do. Poughill burials still with church, and currently working through the Exeter parishes in Exeter Studies Library .

Sadly this new research takes the Traies family out of my son's direct lines.
But I want to thank you all most sincerely for all your time and interest and pointing me in the right direction.

If I can help with anything from Exeter RO and the libaray please just shout.

Best wishes, Chris.

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I found a marriage of

WILLIAM TRAIES = MARY HOOPER
19 NOV 1786   Crediton, Devon

which doesn't give us much time for William to die and Mary to remarry John Martin by 3 jan 1787.

There are, however, a few Mary Hoopers born circa 1774/5 in the Tiverton, Shobrooke areas which falls under Exeter. There is this mary Hooper chr  27 JUN 1773, Crediton d/o of  John and Sarah.

Can't find a death for William Traies  :-\

Sadly this new research takes the Traies family out of my son's direct lines.

:'( :'( :'( :-\

deb

Offline Kelpie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Thursday 30 April 09 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

I reckon this couple were still having children up to about 1805 according to the IGI.

Crediton
Mary 24 Jun 1787
William 16 Nov 1789
Sarah 12 ct 1794
Susan 8 Jul 1798
Samuel 22 Nov 1801
Sarah 21 Jul 1805

Again many thanks, it does your heart good to meet so many helpful souls in this cut throat world.

Best wishes, Chris

Offline cktemple

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Thursday 07 May 09 00:47 BST (UK) »
Will the people who have posted the Trease/Couch/Wiville families please contact me.  I am the great-great granddaughter of Henry Couch, the Couch Historian (HCCH) you refer to.  Lillian Couch, his daughter, was my great grandmother (my mother's grandmother).  We can help each other.  What you have posted re the Couch's and Wivilles' has been of great assistance to me.  I can help you, as I see their are some corrections (i.e., the birth date of Lillian).  I know a great deal about Henry's two children (Henry Mercer and Lillian) and the Nicholases,  but have not been able to trace HCCH beyond himself, partly because Lillian listed Ann Wiville's husband as John Couch rather than Henry Couch.  I have been searching the wrong names for 23 years.  Cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to at last find that family tree.

Of particular interest for the moment is the person who says Henry Mercer Couch married into the Bacon family.

I have tons of questions regarding places in England as well as the two families.  I am someone who tries to go beyond birth, marriage and death dates in an effort to bring personality to these people in order to sustain the interest of future generations who quickly become bored with names, dates and no photos.

I have photos of HCCH, Henry Mercer and Lillian that I can share. 

Clearly, we can be of much help to one another.  I eagerly look forward to your responses.
Thank you so, so much.

Offline ranjani

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry
Kerry thank you so much for all the information on the Traies family via Genes Reunited.  I have finally sat down and started to get my head around the Rootschat website.  What a wealth of information on the Traies family!  So much to plough through!
My interest is through Jane Traies 1823 - 1913 and William Henry Roffe1822 - 1906 who were my gg grandparents.
As regards your postings of 19 March 2008 I think the place you were discussing with Deb is Uffculme, which is not much more than three miles away from where I live.  The postal address is Cullompton.  The Culme is the local river.  When I get time I will visit Uffculme to see if I can discover anything more. 
We moved to this part of the country some twenty years ago when I had no interest in tracing my family tree.  At that time as far as I was concerned my antecedents all came from Kent and South London.  How weird it is that unknowingly I moved back to my roots - so close to Exeter and Crediton (and Uffculme!).
I am now intrigued to discover whether or not William Traies the landscape painter was part of my family.  Pictures on the web selling at £4000!  Exeter Museum has some of his pictures but it is closed at the moment for refurbishment.
Joy
Sherlock, Seaman, Howell, Bentz, Billett, Jefferies,  Roffe, Saxby, Traies, Dolding

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Joy and welcome to Rootschat.

The Traies research has been very quiet of late and certainly I have been concentrating on my local Sussex roots lately.  Its always easier when you are local.

Next time I am in Devon I shall have to remember to visit Exeter Museum.  Devon used to be a favourite holiday spot but haven't been there for some years.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....