Author Topic: HEPBURNS and connections.  (Read 44308 times)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HEPBURNS and connections.
« on: Friday 21 March 08 04:10 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

Since joining RootsChat, I have been constantly amazed at how many fellow researchers have connections to various individuals on my Family Tree. Some of those people now contact me on a regular basis sharing various pieces of information that are perhaps "too sensitive" to post on the site. However, in most cases, any information that may assist researchers is placed on the appropriate Board.

I have resisted the temptation to open a Topic on a family that permeates the whole of my Family Tree, for a number of reasons. One of my reasons is that when I looked at the amount of information that I had, I believed the subject matter would have to be substantially reduced or modified in a number of ways. However, I relented and decided to post information for the benefit of other researchers as well as members of my own family.

I am of the opinion that researchers on RootsChat have become accustomed to my style of writing and believe it to be easy to understand and print out for further work to be carried out. Because I wanted to do justice to the Hepburn family history, I decided that I would not hold back on the very many connections to other families that I have written above, but, to be fair to our Moderator, when these connections occurred, I would simply refer readers to the appropriate postings on RootsChat.

I will start as far back in time as I have records for, and that will mean, of course, that some of the source material, will be at times, a trifle vague. However I include it because it is of some importance, and tends to show where the family resided and how they, like other families, "migrated" to other parts of the country.

The story of the Hepburns is much like the story of other members of my extended family and, upon reflection, should have been introduced to you much earlier. I hope that you enjoy it and find the data contained within it to be of some value to you.

As always, I would ask that you carefully examine what I write and where it is patently obvious that I have made a mistake or typing error, you let me know so that I can modify the posting.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HEPBURNS and connections.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 08 04:26 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

Our story begins about the year 1630 near the shores of the Firth of Forth,only a short distance away from where I was born all those long years ago. A child who was christened as David HEPBURN came into the world, and I have no idea who his parents were, or who his siblings were.

David HEPBURN met and married a young lady by the name of Christian MAIRNS. They married on the 17th January, 1656 at a place called Abbotshall, which in today's vernacular would be referred to as a suburb of Kirkcaldy in Fife.

I have to admit that I only have knowledge of three of their children, and I feel sure that there would be more. However, the important thing to remember is that I was looking for the specific individual who started off this line in my Family Tree. I count myself as very fortunate that I was successful in tracking down this individual.

The three names that I have are:

David HEPBURN christened 21st October, 1660 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Alison HEPBURN christened 22nd October, 1665 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Alison HEPBURN christened 14th June, 1668 at Abbotshall, Fife.

In my next posting, I will be taking a look at that important name that heads the list - David Hepburn who was christened in October, 1660 at Abbotshall.I look forward to your company,

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 March 08 04:45 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In my previous posting I was delighted to introduce you to who may be regarded as one of the most important inividuals on my personal Family Tree. His name is
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]David HEPBURN and he was christened at Abbotshall in Fife on the 21st October, 1660.[/color]

On the 26th of June, 1688 , when he was about 27 years of age, David married Jannet MURRIE (Janet Murray?) at Abbotshall. Once again, I am unable to give fellow researchers a complete listing of all of David and Janet's children, but I believe that the information that I do give can be researched, and thus provide some quite useful information.

Their children:

David HEPBURN  Extracted Birth Cert 30th July, 1694 at Abbotshall, Fife.James HEPBURN Extracted Birth Cert 20th March, 1698 at Abbotshall, Fife
Jannet HEPBURN Extracted Birth Cert 21st February, 1692 at Abbotshall, Fife

In my next posting, I will be taking a look at David HEPBURN, who was christened on the 30th July, 1694 at Abbotshall and we  shall see who and when he married, as well as the names of at least some of his children.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 March 08 05:01 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In my previous posting, I stated that I would be looking at the David HEPBURN , who was christened on the 30th July, 1694 at Abbotshall to David HEPBURN and Jannet Murrie (Janet MURRAY?).

David HEPBURN married Christian STAINES on the 27th of July, 1716 at Abbotshall in Fife.

Their childen were, (and these are Extracted Birth Records):

Janet Hepburn christened 23rd June, 1717 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Christian Hepburn christened 26th September, 1719 at Abbotshall.
Anna Hepburn christened 30th July, 1721 at Abbotshall, Fife.
James Hepburn christened 11th February, 1724 at Abbotshall, Fife.
David Hepburn christened 11th December, 1725 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Arnott Hepburn christened 14th January, 1728 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Alexander Hepburn christened 24th December, 1732 at Abbotshall, Fife.

In my next posting, I shall make a short detour from the real progression to include yet another example of members of one family marrying a sister or brother of a nearby family.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 March 08 05:14 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In my previous posting I made mention of David HEPBURN who married Christian STAINES on the 27th of July, 1716 at Abbotshall. In this posting, I make mention of James Hepburn who married Anna STAINES around 1718. I have not researched my material for any connection between Christian and Anna, but would hope that some kind soul would do that for me whilst I concentrate on my further postings.

Their children:

Janet Hepburn  EXT christened 6th December, 1719 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Janet Hepburn christened 30th July, 1721 at Abbotshall, Fife.
David Hepburn christened 12h September, 1722 at Abbotshall, Fife.
James Hepburn christened 30th May, 1725 at Abbotshall, Fife.
John Hepburn christened 5th June, 1727 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Margaret Hepburn christened 30th August, 1729 at Abbotshall, Fife.

In my next posting, I will return to the natural progression of my personal Famaily Tree.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 March 08 05:34 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In a previous posting I made mention of James HEPBURN the son of David HEPBURNand Christian STAINES He was christened on the 11th February, 1724 at Abbotshall in Fife.

On the 14th Of June, 1764, the 40 year-old James married Margaret Millar at Abbotshall.

Their children were:

Janet Hepburn christened 14th April, 1765 at Abbotshall, Fife.
David Hepburn christened 1st February, 1767 at Abbotshall in Fife.
John Hepburn christened 5th February, 1769 at Abbotshall in Fife.
James Hepburn christened 31st March, 1771 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Alexander Hepburn  christened 31st March, 1771 at Abbotshall, Fife.
J. Hepburn?? christened 23rd May, 1773 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Spears Hepburn christened 23rd May, 23rd May 1773 at Abbotshall, Fife.

In my next posting, I will continue with David Hepburn, who was christened on 1st February, 1767 at Abbotshall. In the meantime, I wish to point out that he went on to marry Isabel PEAGE (PAGE?) and that his brother, Alexander, who was christened on 31st March, 1771 at Abbotshall, went on to marry Agnes REID, who was born on 23rd March, 1775 at Abbotshall. The marriage took place on 15th March, 1793 at Edinburgh.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 March 08 09:23 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In my previous posting I spoke of David Hepburn, the son of James Hepburn and his wife, Margaret Millar. David was born on 28th January, 1767 at Abbotshall in Fife.

According to an Extracted Marriage Record, David HEPBURN  married Isabel PEAGE on the 16th October, 1789 at Abbotshall in Fife.

Their children:

Christian HEPBURN born 13th October, 1790 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Alexander HEPBURN born 28th October, 1792 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Janet HEPBURN born 6th May, 1796 at Abbotshall, Fife.
David HEPBURN born 1st May, 1797 at Abbotshall, Fife.
James HEPBURN born 1st May, 1799 at Abbotshall, Fife.

In my next posting I will be looking at Alexander HEPBURN, another son of James Hepburn and his wife, Margaret Millar. Alexander was the younger brother of David.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 March 08 09:43 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In my previous posting, I stated that I would be taking a look at Alexander HEPBURN, the younger brother of David HEPBURN who married Isabel PEAGE.

Alexander HEPBURN was christened  on the 31st March, 1771 at Abbotshall in Fife and he married Agnes REID, who had been born on the 23rd March, 1775 at Abbotshall. The marriage took place on the 15th March, 1793 at Edinburgh. Agnes' parents were George REID and Janet ROSS who had married about the year 1760. George REID was the son of Andrew REID, who had been born on 21st November, 1736 and Elspeth BEVERIDGE.

Alexander and Agnes' children were:

James Hepburn christened 27th August, 1793 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Margaret Hepburn christened 30th April, 1797 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Isabella Hepburn christened 5th December, 1798 at Abbotshall. She went on to marry William THOMPSON on 8th April, 1827 at Abbotshall.
George Hepburn born 1st February, 1801 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Alexander Hepburn born 11th June, 1803 at Abbotshall, Fife.
David Hepburn born 15th February, 1805 at Abbotshall, Fife.
Betty Hepburn born 4th August, 1807 at Abbotshall, Fife.

In my next posting, I will be taking a look at David HEPBURN, the son of David HEPBURN and Isabel PEAGE who had been born on 1st May, 1797 at Abbotshall, Fife.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 March 08 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

In my previous posting I stated that I would be taking a look at David HEPBURN, the son of David HEPBURN and Isobel PEAGE

David HEPBURN was born on the 1st May, 1797 at Abbotshall in Fife and, in a change of location, he married Margaret HAY at Leslie, nestled at the foot of the Lomond Hills, on the 26th February, 1815.

Their children:

Andrew Hepburn born 11th December, 1815 at Leslie in Fife.
William Hepburn born 11th August, 1817 at Leslie in Fife.
Janet Hepburn born 3rd August, 1819 at Leslie in Fife.
David Hepburn born 26th May, 1821 at Leslie in Fife.
James Hepburn born 10th March, 1824 at Leslie in Fife.
John Hepburn born 13th June, 1826 at Leslie in Fife.

William HEPBURN, born 11th August, 1817 at Leslie in Fife, will be the subject of my next posting, when I resume in the morning.

Kind Regards,

Tom