Author Topic: George W Betham  (Read 3742 times)

Offline tsumi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
George W Betham
« on: Friday 28 March 08 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a George W Betham born 1854 ,and I have reason to think he was living at ,22 ,King Edward Ave, County of York,Ontario, in 1932 .To confirm it is the person I am related to, I wonder would someone check the census for me ,for any relatives living with him etc.

Many thanks

Tsumi
Beatham , in Cumberland /Westmorland,
Palmer, in Devon/Caernarvon,
Sillery , Worldwide,
Fearance ,and variants ,Caernarvon,Liverpool.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George W Betham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 08 12:04 GMT (UK) »
You can check the 1901 and 1911 Canadian census records (free) at www.automatedgenealogy.com. More recent census records have not been released)
Here's a link to your original post:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,295184.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 08 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tsumi

The George BETHAM you mention of that address , died there in Ontario in 1930.....a couple of years earlier:

Township of East York, County of York,  Ontario
George BETHAM
Resident of 22 King Edward Ave, died at that address on 15 APR 1930 age 76 years,
Born 13 Jul 1853 England
He was retired, and married.
He had been living  at that address 4 years, and in Ontario/Canada for 45 years.
His father is stated as BETHAM, b England
His mother is stated as not known, b England
His Step Son, George A BETHAM,  informed of the death
He was buried at St John's Cemetery.

Does this sound like your man (the birth date)?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline tsumi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 March 08 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,Thank you for your time on this post ,but I am unsure with the birthdate.
The George W Betham, I have was born September 1854,Westmorland,but I have checked the BMD of England and there is only the one George Betham,born of that decade,so am still puzzled.
The only other bit of info I have is that his occupation was down on the England census as General Commision Agent,1901 and before that Office Clerk.
 Tsumi
Sillery , Worldwide,

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 March 08 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tsumi

I think the man who died in Canada is named BELHAM not BETHAM.
At first look,  the original death cert looks like the person filling in the form omits to cross his t's in words 1)  "cemetery" and 2) Barrington". The word 3) "step" has the cross bar drawn on it's own, in mid air so to speak, to the right of the  vertical stroke of the t.  The surname of the deceased, written in reference to him, his father's surname and for his step-son's surname - all look like BELHAM. I believe the indexer of the record has assumed the word is BETHAM based on the idea the 3rd letter is a "t" with it's cross-bar missing.  However - looking again carefully, the words 1 and 2, I do believe have a cross bar stroke, written quite wildly and faintly to the right of each vertical stroke. But, definitely no faint marks near the Surname's (supposed) t's, though - ie: the word does look like it is meant to be BELHAM.

This is your George:
1854: Birth - Sep Qtr 1854 West Ward RD - George Waistell BETHAM
1861: Census - George W.  BETHAM  age 6 - in Newby Westmoreland
1871: Census - G W BETHAM age 16 - in Newby Westmoreland
1878: ?Manifest of "Bothia" , Geo. W BETHAM 25, Farmer, of England, intending to reside England (ie: on a sojourn, not permanent)
1881: Census George W BETHAM age 26 - in Lancashire in household of a sibling, with other siblings
1886 - Married: George Waistell BETHAM and Elizabeth FAIRER  - West Ward RD, Westmoreland
1886 - Birth Sep Qtr  West Ward RD: Dau : Margaret Winifred BETHAM
1888 - Birth Dec Qtr West Ward RD:  Son : George Herbert BETHAM
1891 - Birth Jun Qtr  West Ward RD: Dau:  : Mary BETHAM
1891: Census : George BETHAM age 37, Farmer, in Shap Westmoreland,  wife Elizabeth 41, children: Margaret W - 14, George H - 2 and Mary - 7mths (probably should be 2 mths),
1901: George BETHAM age 46, COmmercial Clerk - Agent, in Kendal Westmoreland with wife Elizabeth 51; children Margaret W - 14, George H - 12 and Mary - 10
1903: Death: Margaret Winifred BETHAM age 15 - registered West Ward RD.

The man who died in Canada :
Birth year is a year out (but that would be acceptable!)
Stated to be in Canada 45 years (so from approx 1885)
The informant is a STEP-son, George H (not George A as I originally thought, sorry)
The Informant does not know his (Step) father's parent's names.

Cannot find the deceased or his (step-son) son, in Canada Census as BETHAM. One might assume, that's because they were in England............but, neither can I find anything else for them in Ontario records.

Your, George is in England for every census; if he went to Canada - based on the theory it is  his death in 1930,  then he it must surely have immigrated  at approx 49-50 years of age-  after Census 1901, and most likely not before his daughter died in 1903 - giving him a maximum time to be in Canada of 27to29 years before a possible death in 1930.

And even given the possibilities of mispellings and/or lack of ages and initials, noithing on the Find My Past migration databases to 1960, look like your family going to Canada?

I think I have George BELHAM in Canada - just pulling it together - but it's looking like he is the one who died 1930 - an elimination, if nothing else!  ;D

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 March 08 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Ontario Marriage
George BELHAM age 41, born England (abt 1854), Laborer
Widower of Toronto; Parents:  William BELHAM and Charlotte

and Harriet YOUNG age 35, b Canada
Spinster of Toronto; Parents: Simon YOUNG and Sarah

married at St Matthew Church, Kingarf on 25 Aug 1895
Witnessed by William YOUNG and Sadie ALEXANDER,

Ontario Birth:
William James BELHAM b 13 Apr 1900, York Cty to George BELHAM and Harriet YOUNG.

1901 Census: East York, Ontario
Head: George BELLHAM 44, b 13 Jul 1857 England, ethnicity: English , C of E, immigrated 1882, occ: Foreman, ?Crew
Wife: Harriet BELLHAM 40, b 14 Feb 1861 Ontario, ethinicity: Irish
Son: James BELLHAM 11 months, b 12 Apr 1900 Ontario
Neice: Irene ALEXANDER 23, b 23 Oct 1877 Ontario, ethinicity: Irish
(it seems likely his 1901 age is supposed to be 47 and year of birth 1854  - as opposed to what is written age 44, year of birth 1857, very very probable the enumerator made a bit of an ooops in writing the information down)

English FREEBMD had a George BELHAM reg. Sep Qtr 1853 Swaffham, Norfolk.
In the Census, among others - in 1871 there is George BELHAM age 17, b West Bradenham (covered by Swaffham RD) with parents named William and Charlotte.

Sorry  Tsumi :'(,  - it looks very much like your George  Waistell BETHAM did not immigrate to Canada after all - at least not. Ontario.... Do you have any reason to believe he did leave England after say, abt 1901-1903?

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 March 08 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tsumi

Are you aware, that sadly - your George's son, George Herbert BETHAM died 20 Jul 1917 age 29, in WW1?
He was a Lance Corporal in the Kings Liverpool Regiment, # 265241
"Born at Shap, Westmorland. Son of George Waistell Betham and Elizabeth Betham, late of Rosgill, Shap, Westmorland"

http://www.cwgc.org/

Not sure of the intent of the wording - does it mean his parents were living, and were of Rosgill but had moved since? But were there at least in 1917?

There is a Medal Card for him in National Archives:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?queryType=1&resultcount=1&Edoc_Id=1432343

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline tsumi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 March 08 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly,
I am inclined to agree with you over all your findings.I have George Snr, down as I have said in a previous posting about  1930-32,but unsure where .
Also I was trying to find where he went to in 1878 ,(as per Castle Garden website),when he docked at New York in 1878, 8 May, on the Ship, Bothnia,the destination was down as 894,and I wondered where that was,so as to try to find who he was staying with at the time.

I did get the record of his son George Jnr,from the NA.

Many, Many thanks for your time and trouble ,not least your deciphering the names,my weak point .

Cheers Tsumi
Sillery , Worldwide,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 March 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Also I was trying to find where he went to in 1878 ,(as per Castle Garden website),when he docked at New York in 1878, 8 May, on the Ship, Bothnia,the destination was down as 894,and I wondered where that was,so as to try to find who he was staying with at the time.

Here's the other post about George which says there is no such destination number on the scanned manifest on Ancestry.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,295184.msg1777243.html#msg1777243
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!