Author Topic: Dumfries  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Hazel Mayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dumfries
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 July 08 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, well thank you so much for checking that film out for me.  I know that Edward Tudor was born in Dumfries in 1814, but then the family moved to back to England.  Unfortunately, because I'm stuck out in the middle of nowhere in Spain, I'll need to find a kind person who can go to the Dumfries Register Office for me one day.  I wonder what denomination the The Parish Church could be if not C of S, as I doubt it would be C of E?  Thank you so much once again for your help.
Theobald-Manchester/Liverpool
Tudor- Liverpool
Tinsley - Liverpool
Clark - Cherry Burton/Pocklington
Taylor - Hallow Worcs
Cooper - Manchester
Bradford - Ireland & Liverpool
Bigg - Manchester/New Zealand
Cook - Pocklington, Yorks

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 July 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
It would be Church of Scotland,  Hazel. C of E is Episcopalian in Scotland.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Hazel Mayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 July 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
Oh dear I'm getting confused, as earlier you said he couldn't have been baptised in a C of S church.  Wish I was much more advanced in all of this searching stuff!  I'm now about to completely embarress myself and ask what BIVRI is and whether I can use it?  I know he definately was born in Dumfries, Scotland, as on the 1841/51/61/71/81/91 census in Liverpool (where he and his family lived) that's what he states.  I am going over to Liverpool in September and have got a list as long as my arm to try and find with regards to his family, but I won't have the time to get up to Scotland unfortunately.  Thank you once more for your help an advice.  Hazel (confused of Spain!)
Tudor- Liverpool
Tinsley - Liverpool
Taylor - Hallow Worcs
Cooper - Manchester

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 July 08 15:54 BST (UK) »
I'm perplexed as well, Hazel, and I'm familiar with the record sources  :-\

I checked the Scotland's People site to see if the baptism came up. I did a wildcard search on T*d*r for Dumfries 1812-1816 and he didn't come up. SP has all the Church of Scotland OPR records up online (unless the pages were damaged!) so it should have come up.

I then looked at my BIVRI CDs to check on the source and used the film number to locate the source on the LDS site. This came back with Dumfries - Parish Church, Dumfries (i.e. C of S).

The BIVRI CD set can be purchased from LDS marketing centres (I got mine from Birmingham)  or the CDs can be searched at LDS FH Centres.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Hazel Mayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 July 08 17:46 BST (UK) »
You're perplexed and you're the brainy one, can you imagine how I feel?  Well I hope you agree with me on this, but, somebody, somewhere must have got this info about Edward's Christening to put it on LDS.  Even the parent's names of Edward & Margaret are correct, his birthdate is correct - arghhh - I'm just too hot now with this spanish weather to think straight, but it's now playing on my mind, when even a clever searcher like yourself can't find this baptism.  I truely thank you for all your help - think I'll go and throw myself off my mountain now, I'm soooo frustrated.  Thank you again.
Hazel
Tudor- Liverpool
Tinsley - Liverpool
Taylor - Hallow Worcs
Cooper - Manchester

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 July 08 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again Hazel

The only thing that I can suggest is to go to the LDS site www.familysearch.org and click on Library and Family History Centres in the drop down menu. Then enter Spain and your nearest City/etc.  This will give you details of your nearest centre. You can then order the Dumfries film from them for a small fee and view it at the centre.

I just looked at Spain with no province/city and got a really long list of centres  :)

Regards

Gadget

Added - so called 'clever clogs' forgot to give you the film ref. number  :-[ :-[ :-[

It's 1067959

Offline toffeenose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Asgard II Ireland during Liverpool tall ships race
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 July 08 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel

Thanks for coming back so quickly. Alice Tudor Born 1869..yes? mother Margaret Bradford born 1840 I think. If you have any more about them I would be grateful.

I don't know if you have been down Bostock Street but its mostly demolished replaced with small warehouse units but you can still see the remains of the old doorsteps on the pavement. I guess you have seen the entry for Edward Tudor in the Liverpool 1832 Poll Book. http://www.liverpoolgenealogy.org.uk/1832Pollbook/pollt.htm  Voted for Lord Sandon!

If you do manage to track Edward's baptism details in Dumfries can you post it up?

Thanks for the details of your family tree. Going to view it right now.

Best wishes

Toffeenose

Robinson-Liverpool-Neston
McFadden-Liverpool-Co Down
Tudor-Liverpool
Walsh Liverpool-Ireland
Morgan-Liverpool Ireland
Donnelly-Dundalk
Hamill-Dundalk
McCourt-Dundalk
Dee- Liverpool-Limerick

Offline Hazel Mayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 July 08 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info, didn't even realise LDS had places in Spain.  I'll look under Malaga which would be the nearest place for me.

Hazel
Tudor- Liverpool
Tinsley - Liverpool
Taylor - Hallow Worcs
Cooper - Manchester

Offline motherhen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 August 08 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello

I hope you don't mind me butting in here but I thought I would give you this link to Dumfries Archives

Email: Libs&I@dumgal.gov.uk 

I have just come back from doing some research at the Archives & Ewart Library in Dumfries and they were very helpful. I am not an expert but I have heard that the LDS did not digitise all C of S records and you might find it in the local Archives. The Ewart Library has a research officer who can do searches for people who do not live in the area (£5 for a single search). The Archives and the Library are both part of the local council.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with your research

Diana
Collins-Battersea,London/Cork?
Copland - Dumfriesshire/ Wigan/Wallasey
Douglas-Edinburgh
Goldie/Ayrshire /Airdrie
Millar/Airdrie
Nicholson-Dumfries/Kirkcubright
Robinson-Penistone, Yorkshire
Thomson- Fife