Author Topic: Marion Calderwood  (Read 14151 times)

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marion Calderwood
« on: Thursday 08 May 08 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

having had great sucess with the English half of the family I am now starting on the Scottish side.

Unfortunately I am looking for Smith, what I have so far:

John Calderwood b 1831 Ayrshire m Lily b 1837 (GG grandparents)

James Calderwood 1856 Kilmarnock m Maggie McGill 1862 (G Grandparents)

James 1880 kilmarnock
Bella 1884 Kilmarnock
M D Maggie 1885 Glasgow
M E Maggie 1888 Kilmarnock
Lily 1891 Govan
Marion 1895 Dunbarton (grandmother) d 1963 m Alexander Smith - . The family moved to England in the middle 1920's

Marion and Alexander had 5 children - with two surviving my father Robert bruce died 1998, his brother james died 2006, sister Agnes died in the 1970's

Any help much appreciated - is a subscription to Scotlands people the easiest way to do this? Ancestry not much help so far.

Thanks

Nicwnacw
Fenn from Denham Bucks and Honeywell from Downton Wilts

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Calderwood
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 May 08 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicwnacw

What info are you now looking for? You seems to have done well tracing back  :) Are you looking to now go back beyond what you have or forward.  I assume if you have access to Ancestry that you have found the family in the censuses up to 1901. IGI is also very good in  Scotland for births/ marriages for the period immediately after the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855 (on IGI records tail off around 1874/5 for Scotland).

If you haven't as yet registered with Scotlands People, it would be good for you to do so in order to access original census images and BMDs (post official registration) on line. There are also original images from the Old Parish Registers (OPRs) if your family lines were from the Establish Church of Scotland (Presbyterian). Whilst it is a pay to view, it's v. reasonable specially as you have so much info on the family already.

There are two useful guides here on RootsChat:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

Regards.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 May 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking to go back, unfortunately I am unable to obtain any more info from my Uncle and Aunt, none of my cousins are interested. So it will all be down to internet research. My uncle who is quite old gave me a start but does not known any of his granparents. The only other clue I have is that the family is now based in Milngavie.

I will check out Scotlands People and Ancestry a bit more.

Thanks for the help

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 May 08 22:55 BST (UK) »
Marion Calderwood and Alexander Smith's marriage is showing in 1922 in Milngavie. I would start with that one and work back verifying as you go and using Ancestry/IGI to widen the family lines (siblings/places of births etc). Scottish certificates are some of the best in the world  ::) They include a lot of info that then lets you work back.

I can't see a marriage showing for John Calderwood and Lily (Lilias Cuthbertson) post the start of official registration in 1855 so it is likely they married before this (nothing showing for them on the OPRs). The births certs for the children they had in the 1860s (John 1863, Robert 1866, Marion 1869) should include the date and place of parents' marriage. The death certs. for John and wife Lilias Cuthbertson (she looks to have died in 1869 in Ayrshire, I searched for Lil* - not sure how first name was indexed) will include full details of their parents including mothers' maiden names, fathers' occupations and whether they were alive or deceased. This should hopefully let you step back further.

Give a shout if you get stuck!

Monica  :)

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 May 08 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Just spent loads on Scotlands People - they should do subscriptions! got James Birth cert father John mother Lilian nee Cuthbertson.

1901 census shows wife as Maggie as does 1891 census, marriage cert shows Isabella McDougall (not Maggie McGill) parents John and Lillian Calderwood so I am fairly ertain it is the correct james.

I have a debatable 1861 census with John calderwood unm, Head of household Agnes Calderwood b Ireland and John as son with a 5 year old James grandson - really not convinced this is them, james is the right age.

Nicwnacw

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 May 08 00:00 BST (UK) »
I think I found James b. 1856 staying at his Uncle James Calderwood and family...let me go back and find that entry.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 May 08 00:08 BST (UK) »
This is the 1861 entry I found earlier:

James Calderwood 39, Farmer Of 30 Acres, b. Fenwick
Mary Calderwood 34, b. Beith
James Howie    13, servant
James Wallace    74, father in law, b. Bethwick
James Calderwood 4, nephew, b. Kilmarnock

Address: Bembeough, Fenwick Ayrshire

Not sure about this as I haven't seen an occupation for John Snr. as yet. These are the children showing for John and Lily:

1. JAMES CALDERWOOD Birth: 19 APR 1856 Kilmarnock, Ayr
2. JOHN CALDERWOOD  Birth: 23 DEC 1863 Kilmarnock, Ayr
3. ROBERT CALDERWOOD Birth: 03 JUN 1866 Kilmarnock, Ayr
4. MARION CALDERWOOD Birth: 13 JUN 1869 Kilmarnock, Ayr

You would think the family were in Kilmarnock given the birth places above.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 May 08 00:53 BST (UK) »
Ignore that entry for a possible James at his uncle's, he's still there with him in 1871. I think this entry is more likely. From the 1871 census, everyone showing as born in Kilmarnock:

James Calderwood 70, General Labourer
John Calderwood 40, son, Mason's Labourer
James Calderwood 15, grandson, Labourer Spinner Apprentice
Robert Calderwood 5, grandson

Address: 61 Fore Street, Kilmarnock

Struggling to find them in 1861  :-\

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 May 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks again

can I ask a general type question, my gran Marion b 1895 had two sisters, transcribed as Maggie M D and Maggie M E. When I looked at the 1901 census I think it was maggie M d and Maggie M G. James  (thier dad) was married to Isabella McDougall, but she is not the wife on 1891 or 1901 census, so it follows that she died before 1891. I have been told by a distant cousin that James was married to Maggie McGill, wife is shown as Maggie on both 1891 and 1901.

is it possible/usual that the girls were actually called Maggie McDougall 1885 and Maggie McGill 1888 after their respective mothers?

I think the McGill connection is stregnthened as Marion McGill 10 was a visitor in the 1901 census.

Nicwnacw