Author Topic: I Might Be Able to Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's  (Read 72651 times)

Offline andymking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I Can Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's
« Reply #63 on: Monday 12 January 09 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les,
Many thanks for looking. 
I thought that STUCKEY was an unusual name - that is until I looked in Somerset, where there seems to be rather a lot of them.
Best regards,
Andy

Offline Adrian Ballard

• RootsChat Extra
  • of Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 12 January 09 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrian

Sorry, no BALLARD surnames at all listed in the book's indexes.

Les

Thank for looking Les  :)
Researching BALLARD from The Southwest Bristol Monmouth Wales Ireland Herefordshire Worcestershire Staffordshire areas - mostly Medieval

Offline nebrfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 12 January 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Les, since my last request I have found that my great grand father, Charles Edward Leigh, married a lady named Amelia Jones Kerle and am wondering if the family name Kerle appears in the book.

Thank you again for your willingness to provide information from the book.

Richard

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Sorry, I can't help you with this one - no family name of KERLE appears in the book's index.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline nebrfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking

Offline billcraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 15 March 09 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les. I am having trouble with my Saunders ancestors who lived in Taunton. Samuel Saunders was born about 1832 and married Mary Ann Garland 1856 in Paul's meeting house, Paul St, Taunton. According to the marriage cert his father was Richard, a Shoemaker. I thought I had found the father Richard in Taunton but he was not a shoemaker and he did not have a son Samuel. Do you knwo of either of them in Taunton in 1830's

Bill Craig

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 16 March 09 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill (and welcome to RootsChat)

I checked the Tradesman's Index of the book, and could find no SAUNDERS, including 18 names listed as shoemakers.

The only SAUNDERS listed in the General Index was for Jimmy SAUNDERS;

"Long Jim SAUNDERS (4 others also named and described), the post boys, dressed in yellow jackets, buckskin breeches and boots, were seen chatting and joking with the chambermaid, or taking their morning draught of hot ginger". Also, "As you turned into North Street, the first house was the Castle Tap, which was frequented by coachmen, guards, postboys and market people. This Tap was kept by Jim SAUNDERS, who went to the tap so often that at last Death tapped him upon his shoulder".

I could find no mention of the surname GARLAND.

Paul's Meeting House was mentioned - "All the Churches and Chapels have undergone great alterations both inside and out. Paul's Meeting was a plain substantial looking edifice, far superior to the present nondescript. The inside was plain and simple, and the dress of the congregation corresponded. They had a worthy pastor in the person of the Rev.T.LUKE".

Remember, this book was written in the 1880's using the author's memory of the 1820-30's, so there is a possibility he just doesn't remember your SAUNDERS?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline billcraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 16 March 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Les. Can you tell me the name of the book please

Bill

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 16 March 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Les. Can you tell me the name of the book please

Bill

Edward Goldsworthy's "Recollections of Old Taunton" - first published in 1883. The views of Edward Goldsworthy who lived in Taunton from 1817 to 1896. Abridged quote from Preface - "I am writing this to show the condition of the streets of Taunton and the habits of the people 50 or 60 years ago, and also to show what changes have taken place since that time".

Its only a small book, some 70 pages including Tradesman's Index, General Book Index, and map. There are 34 illustrations, which are only included in the 1976 and 1992 reprinted versions (I have 1992 version).

Les