Author Topic: St Mary's St Marylebone complete  (Read 11152 times)

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Mary's St Marylebone complete
« on: Friday 25 July 08 21:26 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there is a cemetry at St Mary's church? In Marlebone I am interested in the Bond family who were living in the area at the end of the 18th Centuay. Thanks Wendy.
Barrow  Cumberwoth/ Hepworth W. Yorks.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone
Brassington  Caverswall Staffs
Eaton family Colwich Staffs.
O'Brien Tipperary     And Stephenson  Melling  in Lonsdale area

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's St Marylebone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 July 08 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

St Marylebone, Marylebone Rd, had burials in the crypt 1817-1853.  In 1980s 850 coffins  in the crypt removed to Brookwood Cemetery.

St Mary's, Bryanston Square,.....no details.

Info found on http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/MDX/StMarylebone/churches.htm

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 08 22:58 BST (UK) »
Wendy,

See my posting at
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,211383.0.html

I will try to remember to have a look for your Bonds this weekend.
If I don't find them it doesn't men they were not in the crypt.
The Parish should have more complete records than I do.

Best,
Charles
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 July 08 14:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for replying. I would be interested  in any info. on the names that were moved to Brookwood. Any Bond names would be useful. Could you tell me what happened to the people buried prior to 1817? Do you have a copy of the parish records to have a quick look at . I am particulary trying to find a baptism for a John Bond who married Jane Louisa Price,  17 th Aug 1817. Would his father's name be on the marriage record? Sorry to ask so many questions Wendy.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 July 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi wob58

I have ancestors who lived in Marylebone in the 1830s and 1840s. The burial ground for St Mary, St Marylebone was at St Johns Wood after 1814 and before that it was Paddington Street in Marylebone, right next to the Marylebone Workhouse.

Hope this helps. I think the church burials are at Westminster City Archives.

Ben

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 July 08 18:15 BST (UK) »
Prior to 1817 they would probably have been buried in St Marylebone Old Church, which was demolished.  The graveyard was mostly turned into a garden and a school was built.  A few gravestones still exist, but so do the burial records.  I don't have access to these records but I expect someone will help you.  The father's names would normally have been on a marriage record, especially if either was a minor, i.e., under 21 years old.
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline Rosie J

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 July 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Wob,

I have a BOND from Marylebone in my tree.  Her name was Hannah.  She can be found as Hannah Cheeseley living in Chelsea with her husband William in the 1851 and 1861.  Thereafter William was recorded as widower but a death was not found for a Hannah Cheeseley/Cheesley.  I don't suppose you have a Hannah Bond born Marylebone c1821 in your tree?

Just thought I would ask.  Good luck with your research.

Rosie.

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 July 08 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thankyou everyone for replying. Life is so much easier when families lived in small villages and the graveyards didn't disappear. So now looking for any burial records in Marylebone  for Bond  or from Brookwood cemetry.

Baptism record for John  approx 1796 .

Marriage record for John and Jane Louisa Price married 17th Aug 1817.

Does the burial ground at St John's Wood still exist?

Thanks Wendy.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 July 08 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy

I just wanted to add a bit to this thread for you and those who have also contributed .

I recently went to St Marylebone church to see the verger about another Rootschat thread.

The church has deposited all its birth, marriage and burials records (registers and day books) at the London Metropolitan Archives for safekeeping except for a typed copy of the list of recent (1980's) exhumations from the crypt to Brookwood. Those interred in the crypt would have been from fairly well-off families. The bodies had to be kept in an expensive lead-lined coffin to start with and the fees would have run into many pounds. The 1823 burial I was looking for cost £1 15s 4d (one pound, fifteen shillings and 4 pence) and was situated fairly close to the church wall at the altar end of the church. Other burials on the page cost 9 shillings and 10pence or 11 shillings and 10pence, burials from the workhouse cost a couple of shillings. There are plot references for most burials and these plots are dotted all around the churchyard.

The verger showed me documents from 1928 and the 1930's. During those times and again in the 1980's, many, many known and unknown bodies were exhumed and moved to Brookwood, the area around the Church has been developed and redeveloped over the years. Many new buildings have been built on what was the churchyard, many bodies however were not moved and are under what has been built on top. They are still building in the area. Recently another area has been excavated, and more bones moved, for an extension to St Marylebone Girls School which was built last year. What was the churchyard is now a garden.

A church and churchyard has been on the site in Marylebone for many hundreds of years and many thousands are buried there, not just the paying parishioners but those from the workhouse around the corner. The look-up I was involved in, was burial number 202 for 1823 and took place at then end of January! Last week I had to look through 850 marriages for 1816 and 830 for 1871. The number of baptisms on a daily basis runs into double figures. It's almost as if the church at St Marylebone was a 'people processing' factory for hatches, matches and despatches. Anyway, burials ceased there around 1855 after a change in the law and the establishment of cemeteries to take care of the dead for the area.

Now to the burial ground at St Johns Wood. This was opened in 1814 and closed in 1855. It is estimated 50,000 were buried there in that short time and records only survive for 1814-1818. I suppose the best way to conclude that your relative may be buried there is to go through all the other churches in the area and check their burial records leaving you with the suggestion that St Johns Wood burial ground is the the most likely final resting place.

In 1962 a survey of surviving headstones was made and a copy deposited at the Westminster City Archives but it is not indexed and runs to a lot of pages.  Then in 1974 another survey was taken based on the 1962 survey and notes made: whether the stone was upright, broken or missing, those that survived were classified legible or illegible. This 1974 survey is indexed.

Parts of the burial ground here have also been turned into a garden but a parish church has also been built on top of it.

I'm still doing look-ups at the LMA and Westminster Archives (see my posts on the London & Middx boards), not quite weekly though as life has been conspiring against me. I'm happy to add the look-up requests to my lists and get back to you all when I can.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea