Author Topic: Archibald RICHARDSON - man or myth?  (Read 10716 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1920s holidays
« Reply #27 on: Monday 11 April 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
or was Ceylon where they married?

And he was already there (or went from Malaya, the fact Joan's father had a strong link may be the key)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 April 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
I have found a J R James age 49 going out to Ceylon on 13th October 1923- he was a member of the Indian Police and his home address was  9 Lymington Road, West Hampstead. Country of intended future residence ........India. So maybe the rest of the family followed him later?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 April 16 18:23 BST (UK) »
This is getting confusing and would benefit from clarification.

Joan's father, John Henry Cordner James was a mining engineer born c1856) and travelled extensively in his career.  He is on electoral rolls in London between the wars and was a director of various mining companies with offices in London (frequently appearing in meetings recorded by the London Gazette or newspapers).  I have found nothing to suggest he and his family holidayed abroad.

The Joan James travelling from Southampton to Cherbourg in 1929 with Lady Hudson is almost certainly not my Joan.  I have found no evidence of her leaving England and she appears on electoral rolls throughout the 1930s.

I am not looking for further information on the James family in this thread (although I do greatly appreciate everything found so far).

The outstanding questions are:
1) Did Joan James ever marry Archibald Richardson? (no marriage found in England/Wales or Scotland, so probably not!)
2) Who was Archibald Richardson?
3) When did Archibald travel to Ceylon?

I am waiting for my uncle's birth cert (1934) to see what it says about his parents.
trish18 found a death notice in the London Times for Archibald Richardson stating he died 25 April 1930 in Ceylon.

A thousand thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 April 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
I have found a J R James age 49 going out to Ceylon on 13th October 1923- he was a member of the Indian Police and his home address was  9 Lymington Road, West Hampstead. Country of intended future residence ........India. So maybe the rest of the family followed him later?

Another super find!  Thank you so much.

Electoral rolls show that my James family were in Teddington, Middlesex 1923-24 and in 9 Lymington Rd Hampstead from 1925-30 so J.R.James is not in that household.  However, it is quite possible that the house was bought from a relative - John Henry James had five brothers and at least fifteen male cousins that I know of, so he could well be a son to one of them.

I will have to consider re-subscribing to a website where I can look at electoral rolls (and other info)!

Philip

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 April 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
I am waiting for my uncle's birth cert (1934) to see what it says about his parents.
trish18 found a death notice in the London Times for Archibald Richardson stating he died 25 April 1930 in Ceylon.

(note - all people named in this post are deceased)

The certificate arrived this morning.  Feverishly, I opened the envelope, unfolded the precious document and found......
John Anthony Richardson, born 25 Jun 1934 St Monica's, Sutton Rd, Seaford, East Sussex
father: Archibald John Richardson, tea planter (deceased), of Ivaholm(?), Promenade, Peacehaven
mother: Joan Margot Richardson, formerly James, of Ivaholm(?), Promenade, Peacehaven

So if Archibald died on 25 April 1930 the pregnancy must have lasted a minimum of 50 months (or 217 weeks)! 

Perhaps I should call a paranormal investigator to see if Archibald's ghost was haunting Peacehaven in 1934!

Archibald has only been found on three records -
1) birth certificate for Jeremy 1929; 2) death notice in The Times 1930; 3) birth certificate for John 1934.
Clearly 2 and 3 cannot both be correct.
So, did Archibald ever exist outside of Joan's imagination?
Did she invent Archibald in 1929 to avoid the embarrassment of registering an illegitimate child?
Did she write the 1930 death notice to stop people asking "where is your husband?  Why aren't you with him?"
Was she sent away quietly to the south coast in 1934 to hide her pregnancy?
Did she revive Archibald in 1934 to avoid the embarrassment of registering an illegitimate child?

There is a part of John's birth registration which puzzles me.  The birth was on 25 June, the informant column states "as per Declaration dated 7th August" and the registration date was 10 September.  Does this suggest that Joan left Seaford before registering the birth (or perhaps was to ill to visit the register office), made a declaration (to a solicitor or notary public) and sent it to the registrar?

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 April 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who claimed a 4 year pregnancy, registering her youngest child as her husband's child when he died in France years previously

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 05 May 18 08:12 BST (UK) »
Another super find!  Thank you so much.
Electoral rolls show that my James family were in Teddington, Middlesex 1923-24 and in 9 Lymington Rd Hampstead from 1925-30 so J.R.James is not in that household.........
Philip
I have been going round in circles with this search and made no real progress.  If some kind person could look at the electoral roll for 1922/23 to see who was at 9 Lymington Rd (surname JAMES?) I would be most grateful.

Also (which I missed at the time!) a source for J R JAMES travelling to Ceylon would be very welcome - I have tried the usual free sites and g00gle searches but can't spot him.

Philip

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 05 May 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
The electoral roll for 1922 and 23 has Arthur and Lena Baylin at 9 Lymington Road Hampstead.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Who was Archibald? Did he exist? [renamed]
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 05 May 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
The electoral roll for 1923 has Arthur and Lena Baylin at 9 Lymington Road Hampstead.

Oh [expletive deleted]!  Many thanks for looking, Carol8353 (and my apologies for not following up the J R JAMES lead you gave me two years ago!

Unfortunately, Joan seems to have told so many untruths about her life that this is a nightmare to untangle.

Philip