Author Topic: Archibald RICHARDSON - man or myth?  (Read 10702 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: 1920s holidays
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 April 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
There are several Richardsons, but no Joan or Archibald in the NA J77 divorce records up to 1937.  :-[

If they were married in France I won't find anything until 2029 (100 year rule).  >:(

I recall looking for Archibald Richardson on London voter lists without success, but if someone could tell me who was registered at 29 Cleveland Gardens in 1929/1930 it is possible I may find a relative.  The house looks like a 3 bed semi, so it's probably too small for a maternity home.

I am wondering if Joan (who did have a reputation as a party girl) had a brief fling with Archibald and never saw him again!
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Archibald Richardson?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 April 16 05:01 BST (UK) »

So, if Joan did marry Archibald, who was he and where did he go? In 1943 Joan Richardson married Winston Adair - had there been a divorce? Was Joan a bigamist? Had Archibald died?.

Hi,
Just a few thoughts for you
Do you have this  marriage certificate to see what it says on it?
If not, perhaps acquiring  this cert is the way to go  to see what Joan has said ( widow, divorcee etc.).
I have a relative ( and was divorced) on her certs ( she married a few times divorced a couple times, and one  marriage annulled , for example  wording on one of them is "previously married to xxx to whom she acquired a divorce" .

Excluding names where middle initials don't match there are seven deaths recorded on freebmd for Archibald Richardson between 1929 and 1943, but none are particularly convincing as they would all be 50 or over in 1929.
  Why??  I would not assume a husband is around the same age as the wife. In my family ( especially my mother's side) The husbands are decades older than their wives,  for example my grandmother's father was 63 years old when my grandmother was born , he died when he was 67 when my gran was just 4 year old ( of a heart attack- dropped dead in front of his family). My g grandfather  married a girl 23 years his junior - his father was the same. Right through my mother's side, the men married young girls. My mother's side men folk were old enough to be their wives fathers (grandfathers in some cases) .

Have you looked in Scotland for a marriage to rule that country out ?  You've  said you've looked in the UK , but have only mentioned England and Wales.

It would be interesting to know what Joan put on her second marriage cert.The marriage certs of my relative who married and divorced a few times are very informative.

Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Archibald Richardson?
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 April 16 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hallo, cell - many thanks for your posting.  I will do my best to answer each point.

Do you have this  marriage certificate to see what it says on it?  If not, perhaps acquiring  this cert is the way to go  to see what Joan has said ( widow, divorcee etc.).
I had not really considered getting the certificate for Joan's marriage to Winston Adair in 1943.  I may also have to purchase the birth cert of my dad's younger brother (named as Richardson but almost certainly not Archibald's son). I am not sure how truthful Joan would be because on the documents I do have she frequently lies!

I would not assume a husband is around the same age as the wife.
Fair point, but in Joan's case she had money (so did not need a "sugar daddy") and had the reputation of being a "wild child" party girl with an eye for young men.

Have you looked in Scotland for a marriage to rule that country out?  You've  said you've looked in the UK , but have only mentioned England and Wales.
I couldn't find a marriage in Scotland.  Joan went to France in January 1929, she would have conceived in early February.  A whirlwind romance and marriage would more likely have been on the continent or Southern England.  She was 24, so she would not have needed to elope on discovering she was pregnant.

One of the pieces of information I have not yet discovered is when Joan came back to England (and what name she used)  This would help narrow down the options.

The search goes on!

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 April 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
A quick question: Please could some kind person check sailing dates/details for JOAN JAMES - England to Cherbourg 1929 (FindMyPast)

I couldn't see Joan on a passenger list index returning to England in 1929 as JAMES, CORDNER-JAMES or RICHARDSON so if anyone can help with thast I would be a very happy bunny!

Many thanks
Philip

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
On the 1939 register, Joan states that she is a widow

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:37 BST (UK) »

I recall looking for Archibald Richardson on London voter lists without success, but if someone could tell me who was registered at 29 Cleveland Gardens in 1929/1930 it is possible I may find a relative.  The house looks like a 3 bed semi, so it's probably too small for a maternity home.

I am wondering if Joan (who did have a reputation as a party girl) had a brief fling with Archibald and never saw him again!

As I said further up, can't find 29 Cleveland Gardens in 1929 (earliest I have is 1931) - or even that road in 1929. Similarly the roads around don't seem listed before 1931. I suspect they were new builds.

I just have a feeling that the name of father/husband may not be 100% truthful (a marriage abroad is just so convenient to cover tracks!)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
On the 1939 register, Joan states that she is a widow

You are a star!  Thank you.  I hadn't thought of the 1939 records.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
On the 1929 manifest, it appears that Joan is travelling on the same ticket as "Lady Hudson" - perhaps if you identified who Lady Hudson was, you might be able to work out possible destinations for Joan?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 April 16 18:14 BST (UK) »
It also looks as if the departure date was in August 1929 - so perhaps not the right person?