Author Topic: Archibald RICHARDSON - man or myth?  (Read 10717 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Archibald RICHARDSON - man or myth?
« on: Tuesday 26 August 08 01:54 BST (UK) »
Where would well-off middle class people have gone on holiday outside England.

My grandmother Joan Margot JAMES (born 1905) living in Hampstead, London "married abroad on holiday" Archibald RICHARDSON, a tea planter born in Yorkshire.  Joan was in Paddington in 1929 where my father was born.  I have found no record of a marriage in England or Wales.

Apart from India, Sri Lanka or other tea-growing countries (which would suggest a rather long holiday given the distance involved) and the UK, can anyone offer any suggestions as to where the popular holiday resorts for the well-off middle class would have been in the late 1920s?

Thanking you in advance and in hope

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: 1920s holidays
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip,
Not quite as exotic, I admit -  but Switzerland might be a possibility.
Good luck.
Paulene :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 09:54 BST (UK) »
Ireland (especially seaside resorts like Portrush) or France maybe?

Edit: Find My Past has a Joan James 1929 Southampton to Cherbourg, France. If this is the right person she may have travelled through France to another country and the marriage could have taken place anywhere really. If you know Archibald's age (and any middle name) you could try looking for him there also.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1920s holidays CLOSED
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I think I will have to buy some credits for FindMyPast.
As my father was born in November 1929 a Cherbourg trip by Joan would fit in if it was made at the start of the year.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about Archibald other than the details on my father's birth certificate.

I fear that this search may have to be shelved for 21 years because of the French 100 year privacy rule, but I'm not giving up yet!.

All the best
Philip

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
Rather than waiting 21 years for French records- have you searched the newspapers in England near where Joan lived to see if there was any mention of the wedding? Check all the paper- wedding announcements, photos, local news columns, etc.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Who was Archibald Richardson?
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 April 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
After no progress, I am resurrecting this thread.

My father's birth certificate (November 1929) names his father as Archibald John Richardson, tea planter, residing at 9, Lymington Road, West Hampstead.  My grandmother Joan Margo (nee Cordner-James) was at the same address.  The 1930 Electoral Roll shows that this was her parents' home.

My father was born at 29 Cleveland Gardens, West Hampstead, but I omitted to check this on the electoral rolls before I ceased my anc**try subscription!

I haven't found a marriage anywhere  in the UK. My grandmother Joan Margo Cordner-James travelled from Southampton to Cherbourg in 1929 (thank you, aghadowey!) so if there ever was a marriage it could have been on the continent.

Joan appears on electoral rolls from 1930 to 1939 and in 1945 living with her mother - Archibald is not living with her.

So, if Joan did marry Archibald, who was he and where did he go?  In 1943 Joan Richardson married Winston Adair - had there been a divorce? Was Joan a bigamist? Had Archibald died?.

Excluding names where middle initials don't match there are seven deaths recorded on freebmd for Archibald Richardson between 1929 and 1943, but none are particularly convincing as they would all be 50 or over in 1929.

(Joan died in 1970, my father died in 1971 and his only sibling is also dead, so there are no family to ask.)

Can anyone suggest what I can do to move this search forward?

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 April 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
Where would well-off middle class people have gone on holiday outside England.

Apart from India, Sri Lanka or other tea-growing countries (which would suggest a rather long holiday given the distance involved) and the UK, can anyone offer any suggestions as to where the popular holiday resorts for the well-off middle class would have been in the late 1920s?

Thanking you in advance and in hope

Philip
       Most employees would only get two weeks annual leave, I imagine.

Perhaps France and Belgium would be popular?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 April 16 22:40 BST (UK) »
My grandparents would have been described as moderately well-off middle class in the early 1930s (he was a bank manager). They took motoring holidays to the south of France

I've looked for 29 Cleveland Gardens in 1929 - no luck

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 April 16 22:52 BST (UK) »
If they did get divorced-
Divorce case files (1858-1937)
Search Discovery, our catalogue, by name of petitioner, respondent or corespondent for divorce suits in England and Wales, both successful and unsuccessful, in J 77.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorces/

If he was a tea planter then it's likely he would have gotten a block of time off every year or two perhaps to return 'home'