Author Topic: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson  (Read 30323 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson
« Reply #126 on: Thursday 11 January 24 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Copy and post the page with the image, that isn’t be too long
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1855/09484/5437271.pdf

I usually shorten the link by scrolling down to the bottom of the/this page on Roots Chat, into the black as it were.  There are links there written in white including a 'shrink link' facility. You pop the long link and get a new improved shorter link.....

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sxn/

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Thursday 11 January 24 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. That is a good tip. found the black shrink link tool

Offline threekids5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Thursday 11 January 24 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Wow! The John Bryson Smyth has every tie into something in my branch. Bryson, Smyth (used as the middle name for John W Bryson's and Mary McCune's eldest son Andrew), Holstone,  Ballywee and McConnell.  How they link is a mystery.  John Bryson Smyth must've been a Bryson daughter somewhere. I'll look later. Btw, my brother who is the male descendent to our branch with the surname Bryson is taking the Big Y DNA test on Family Tree.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Thursday 11 January 24 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gilby!

I have DNA matches with two of Robert's daughters who were baptized at 1st Donegore.  His son James died without issue and left his estate to his brother William who had four daughters. Three are buried with Robert, William and their wives at Kilbride.  Unfortunately the Bryson name in this branch died off in 1940 with William's death. I thought the whole branch in Ireland had died off until I matched DNA with the Fosters. The O'Haras live in Colorado USA.

Hi!  I wouldn’t necessarily place make Robert’s father James Bryson as a son of John W. Bryson based on a DNA match, though it certainly looks like a possibility.  It is also possible James was a nephew of John W. Bryson.  These families intermarried so much that any DNA matches are likely to be stronger than you might expect.

Is there anything to indicate that any of the children of the James Bryson who died before 1836 (son of John W. Bryson) lived into adulthood?

Are the Fosters and O’Hara’s you mentioned descended from William Bryson (1869-1838) or his siblings?  Do you know what happened to Ellen Bryson (b. 1871) who had two illegitimate children in 1901?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Thursday 11 January 24 22:03 GMT (UK) »
This family would potentially look like:

John W. Bryson (c1764-1836)
---- James Bryson (c1800-c1835)
-------- Robert Bryson (c1830-1897) m. Sarah Caldwell
-------- Mary Bryson (c1838-1903) m. William S. Bell

The obvious problem there being Mary apparently born a few years after the death of her father.  Her age in the 1901 census was 64, and it was also given as 64 when she died in 1903, hence I’ve gone for born c1838.  It is possible she was a bit older.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Thursday 11 January 24 22:09 GMT (UK) »
James Bryson d. 1861 was 27 when he died and his father James d. 1835 was still alive and married to Martha Ann.   John W was aware of his son's death in 1836 and left a bequest "to the children of my son James, deceased".
James Bryson d1861 is listed singularly on the ship manifest to Australia.  I thought it was a different James until it popped up on the headstone.

There’s no reason to attach James Bryson (c1834-1861) to John W. Bryson's family.  The headstone shows that he was not a grandson of John W. Bryson.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Thursday 11 January 24 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Boyd was a Bryson? That branch is so confusing with all those Bryson/Bryson marriages.  There certainly were other families. My John W went to Belfast for Margaret Wilson and to County Down for Mary McCune.

Yup.  And from your earlier message…

1909 James Bryson married Agnes Boyd (widow). This information is directly from his descendents who currently live on the Ballyvoy property.

I think the line for the Ballyvoy/Duncansland property goes like:

James Bryson (c1746-1832) m. Elizabeth (c1745-1831)
---- James Bryson (c1785-1850) m. Elizabeth (c1798-1883)
-------- James Bryson (c1826-1909) m. Agnes Boyd née Bryson (c1823-1898)

The only problem is I don’t know where James Bryson of Cove Lodge (the middle one above) was buried.  I’m assuming his son the 3rd James was grandson of the 1st James because he is buried in the same plot, and he owned the same land.  Another possibility is that Agnes’s father Robert Bryson was a son of the 1st James, but he was of Ballybracken so I think belongs to another branch.

Offline threekids5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Thursday 11 January 24 22:47 GMT (UK) »
The Fosters and O'Haras are descendents of Robert Bryson, son of James Bryson and Martha Ann McConnell. My Bryson branch didn't intermarry at all. There are no Bryson/Bryson marriages in my line or the lines that came from them for any of my 4th ggf John W Bryson's descendents I think it highly unlikely that I'm wrong about matching DNA to Robert. Those other branches except for John W's brother James have no DNA matches

William Bryson 1869-1938 was one of  Robert's sons. Ellen is a daughter but I have her death as 1894. I have a birth record for her as 1871. I don't have any information about any illegitimate children for her.

Robert and Sarah Caldwell had:
James Bryson 1861-1893
Anna Bryson O'Hara 1864-1949 (emigrated with husband Hugh O'Hara)DNA match with her granddaughter as does my cousin
Martha Bryson Gordon b 1866 (both sons from her died on Flanders)
William Bryson listed above
Ellen Bryson listed above
Agnes Bryson Foster 1873-1912 DNA match with her grandson as does my cousin

James never married. There is a PRONI  bequest to his brother William.
William had four daughters...Sadie, Lily, Minnie (Matilda) and Aggie. Aggie died at age 6. No death records for Sadie and Lily....surmise they died as infants. Minnie died in 1966. There is no marriage record for her and she's buried in the same plot as Robert and William so I assume she didn't marry.

Robert's daughters had children. As I said my DNA links with the granddaughter of Anna O'Hara as does my cousin and with a Foster of the Agnes line. The Fosters are still in NI.

As I also said there are no Bryson/Bryson marriages in my Bryson line from my 4th ggf to my generation.  Those that emigrated didn't marry any Brysons. All the DNA matches I have are from descendents of John W Bryson and his sons and daughters.

I'm very confident about the John W Bryson line. Still looking for a lost daughter but the rest is pretty well documented. Robert is my link to James Bryson and Martha Ann McConnell through his daughters.

Sorry if I sound snippy but I've answered the same questions over and over. Maybe John W will come to me in a dream and give me some hints.  ;D

John W had a nephew James b. 1820 d. 1835. He is buried at Kilbride Cemetery. 

Offline threekids5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Thursday 11 January 24 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I would contact Etta for that branch. I have it entered into Ancestry as she gave it to me.