Author Topic: Completed. Framesmith & Lace Manufacturers, Leicester, Nottingham, Devon & Paris  (Read 18463 times)

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Completed*Framesmiths & Lace Manufacturers, Leicester, Nottingham, Devon & Paris
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

I have another family member who I think might have been at Boden's factory in Derby. He moved from Derby to Nottingham around 1821 when he married and set up his own Lace Manufacturing Businesses. His brother definitely worked with Heathcote in Loughborough, Tiverton and Paris, I had though that the brothers both worked together for Heathcote, so I was surprised when he turned out to be in Derby prior to 1821. If you have any pointers for research for Boden's and Morley's I would be grateful for the tips.

Best regards - Mark

Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline rmorley206

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed*Framesmiths & Lace Manufacturers, Leicester, Nottingham, Devon & Paris
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Mark

a good start would be

http://mss-cat.nottingham.ac.uk/Dserve/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=56&dsqSearch=(MgtGroup%3D'Business%20records')

or its top of list if you google "Boden and Morley"

This is the papers of the company held at university of Nottingham. I have visited and viewed some of the papers it is easy to arrange . i think if you explore on from this link there is a detailed list of the papers. Most are contemporary but I also found a 1954 Derby mercury article in the collection that stated that William Morley was "a member of the same family that went on to found I & R Morley" ie the "Hosiery Morleys" However I have not accpeted this as fact and thus far have been unable to either prove or disprove it.

Much of my research after this was started by just googling. Remember to do both "Boden & Morley" and "Boden and Morley".
The first Boden was John then it was Henry from memory.

Of course Felkin's book has some mentions

good luck

Richard   

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Thanks for this information. I didn't know Nottingham had these papers.

We also have our Subscribers Ed' of Felkin 1867 which always makes fascinating reading.

ATB - Mark

Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline Lockann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Framesmiths & Lace Manufacturers, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Devon & Paris
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 30 August 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

I got the following back from Gillian Kelly of the ASLC.

"I have William Hammersley on my files.  Benjamin hammersley and his wife
AnnRagsdale were incalais very early - by 1825 at least when son. Joseph was
born.  Benjamin died 2 June 1830 while living at rue de la Mer. In 1841 Ann
is on the Calais census with William and Joseph - Ann is described as a lace
worker but also as widow Grundy - so I assume she married again after
Benjamin died and was again widowed.

Ann Ragsdale was the daughter of Joshua Ragsdale and Susanna? - Ann had a
sister Suzanne who married Thomas Austin who was also in Calais by 1825. He
belonged to a large and dominant family in Calais .  Thomas was a cafetiere.
I have a lot of information on this family if your contact is interested.

The term - ticket of leave' refers to a convict.  Many,many of the convicts
who arrived were good people and their employers applied for them to have
tickets-of-leave.  This entitled the convict to live the life of a free man
and earn hisownliving, marry without permission etc, providing he remained
in a specified district, or notified the authorities if he moved.

The Fairlie did a convict run to Sydney in 1834   William James hammersley
had a brother Benjamin but he was too young to be on the Fairlie in 1834.
I am now very curious to know who he was!"

This might explain the 1841 census. Hope it is useful to you.

ATB - Mark

Hi

I've just registered with rootschat and immediately find your posting re- William James Hammersley who I have come forward in time with to Hugh Ragsdale Hammersley who married Frances Adeline Sanderson. Frances was a cousin of my grandfathers. Most interesting reading. I wondered why the connection with France. I have also today found the link with Ragsdale on IGI and am pleased to see on rootschat confirmation : - ) would be great to chat Andrea

Annie

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

The connection with France involved the Economic and Technical climate of the industrial revolution as it applies to the Lace Making Industry. Many lace makers started working (illegally) in France to avoid having to pay copyright fees to people like John Heathcote who held the patents for mechanised Lace Manufacture. Many of these Manufacturers were from Nottingham although some were from Derbyshire and North Leicestershire. As the price of Lace kept falling the industry found itself under more pressure from cheap French/Belgium imports. Around 1848/1850 a group of about 150 Calais based ex-English Lace Manufacturers moved and a large group to Australia.

Hopefully Andrea will pick up copies of these messages and reply. In themean time Gillian can be contacted through the ASLC (Australian Society of Lace Makers of Calais) http://www.angelfire.com/al/aslc/contact.html

An online copy of the Felkin book can be found at http://www.archive.org/details/ahistorymachine00felkgoog

I hope this is useful

Best regards - Mark

Offline Lockann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
Wonderful thank you Mark.

Annie

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 30 August 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
How interesting that you are connected to the Hammersley family.  I was helping a friend who is a direct descendant.    If you want further details I can send them by our personal message system.     
Andrea

Offline Lockann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 31 August 09 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Lovely to hear back from you thank you. Definitely, I would be delighted to hear from your friend who is related to the Hammersleys.

Kind regards

Annie

Offline E Roger H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I'm not sure whether this thread is still active but Ihave quite a lot of information on the Ambrose Brewins (there were three of them)