Author Topic: Completed, thanks - WOOD Thurlby, Househam, South Hykeham PR lookups please  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Please could anyone with access to Thurlby by Newark PRs check for the baptism of Elizabeth WOOD, born 1824 - father Richard Wood, labourer (according to her marriage certificate)

IGI has a baptism 25th April 1824 giving parents as Richard & Mary Wood, I'm hoping there may be more information in the actual PR

I have found Elizabeth in 1851 census Sculcoates HO107/2361 fol.377 p.17 before her marriage in Hull to James Predgen in Nov 1851, and think I have also found her in 1841 Haddington, Lincolnshire HO107/619/23 Folio 3 Page 36  as a servant in the same household as a William WOOD farmer and family - in 1851 William had a visitor Richard WOOD widower(edit - married) - hoping this may be Elizabeth's father.

The informant on Elizabeth's death cert was a Jane WOOD, possibly her sister, I found this Jane in 1861 census at the same address in Hull as given on the death cert, and in 1851 census Haddington HO107/2104 fol.136 p.25, she was also born Thurlby and IGI has a baptism 3 Aug 1828 giving the same parents Richard & Mary WOOD

IGI also has baptisms at South Hykeham for both William and Richard WOOD on 15 Aug 1808, parents John WOOD and Susannah - if anyone has access to those PRs I would love to know if there is any more information

Any help very much appreciated
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD Thurlby and Househam PR lookups please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thurlby is only a couple of miles SW from South Hykeham (modern spelling).

Map http://tinyurl.com/5r55vq

Richard WOOD was buried 21 March 1866 (57) at South Hykeham and William 9 April 1889 (80)

Also
26 March 1849, John WOOD (81)
2 Nov 1830 Susanna WOOD (54)

Don't you think this makes Richard a bit young to be Elizabeth's father?  I think he married Mary THORPE 6 Jan 1834 at Hykeham.

There was a Richard WOODS bur at Hykeham - 21 Nov 1840 (71) - perhaps he seems a bit old.

There was a marriage at Norton Disney 20 April 1813 of Richard WOODs (wid) to Mary NOUCH (Lincs FHS Graffoe Deanery Marriage Index)

I've just remembered Wendy Parkinson's Hykeham website, you might find it useful http://www.wparkinson.com/Hykeham/

Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD Thurlby, Househam, South Hykeham PR lookups please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 08 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for your quick reply and all the information.  You're quite right, Richard does seem too young to be the father.  What a pity!  Having for years thought that my Elizabeth Wood was born Hull and having been unable to find her baptism there, then suddenly realising today that she was more probably born Thurlby, I think I got a bit carried away, and I should know better   ::)

She was listed in 1861 census as born Hull and her son as born Thurlby, but I have son's birth cert & he was born Hull, so I think the two birthplaces have been mistakenly exchanged.

I'm hoping her baptism (and her possible sister Jane's)  will give more information so that I can go backwards with a bit more certainty.

Thanks also for the website link, very useful.  I still think I've got the right two girls, just not found the right Richard yet, would you agree?

Thanks again,
Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 08 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks also for the website link, very useful.  I still think I've got the right two girls, just not found the right Richard yet, would you agree?

Very likely ... looking at the IGI, Richard and Mary had kids bap at Thurlby from 1814 onwards, so the 1813 marriage looks a possibility.

There really was a Mary NOUCH - from Langford in Notts, just across the border - bap 1784.

I suppose the Richard WOODS bap 1770 at Hykeham is a possibility.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for that, that marriage looks a good possibility, Richard to Mary Nouch (a new name for me) with the 6 children born Thurlby (from IGI)

Now to find some of them in 1841, hopefully, maybe with Mary, if Richard did die in 1840

Elizabeth's marriage cert doesn't show him as deceased, though that's not a certainty either, I know!

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm ... Mary WOOD aged 66 b  Langford in Thurlby in 1851.

The visitor in 1851 Susan SWINGEMAN - was actually Susan SWINBURN - in Coddington in 1841.  Her parents were Samuel SWINBOURN and Mary WOOD (married Q4 1840)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 November 08 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Beat me to it, just found Mary on her own in 1841, so thanks for the extra info about Susan and the 1851. 

Samuel & Mary Swinbourne in 1851 - Mary b. 1817 Thurlby so looks like she's Richard & Mary's daughter

Many thanks for setting me off in the right direction

Offline RNA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 January 09 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have an interest in the WOOD family of Hykeham.

IGI also has baptisms at South Hykeham for both William and Richard WOOD on 15 Aug 1808, parents John WOOD and Susannah - if anyone has access to those PRs I would love to know if there is any more information

John WOOD married Susannah HAGUE and these are the only two known children of this marriage.  John had a previous marriage.

I would be happy to prepare a descendant report of the WOOD family line.  A main interst of mine as my grandmother was a WOOD who descended from this line.

Let me know if you would like to share information

Regards
Rachel Alliston
Lake Macquarie, Australia

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Alliston (CAM)  Holmes (WAR) M(a)Kinnon (IOS) M(a)cPherson (IOS), Stevens (DOR), McLean(IOS) Nic(h)olson(IOS) Nicol (PER) Niven (PER) RAVEN (LEI>NZ)Satterthwaite(WOR & WAR) Stevens(DOR) Wedderspoon (PER) Wood(LIN &NTT)

Offline RNA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 January 09 05:59 GMT (UK) »
I meant to say my Grandmother is descended from this WOOD family line going back to the early 1800's.  Not directly descended from John & Susannah:-)

Cheers
Rachel
Alliston (CAM)  Holmes (WAR) M(a)Kinnon (IOS) M(a)cPherson (IOS), Stevens (DOR), McLean(IOS) Nic(h)olson(IOS) Nicol (PER) Niven (PER) RAVEN (LEI>NZ)Satterthwaite(WOR & WAR) Stevens(DOR) Wedderspoon (PER) Wood(LIN &NTT)