Author Topic: Thomas Street Garston Liverpool  (Read 7446 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Street Garston Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 July 10 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hiya Paul
http://www.garstonhistoricalsociety.org.uk/ may have some photos....allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline COMEONFRANK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 July 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Allan I will send them a message

Regards Paul

Offline johnny1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 July 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,Yes it was a terraced street 2up2down No 12 was in the middle with an entry or jigger along side,i know that the man living in the house before us(not sure when)had gassed himself in the oven,and he used to keep a donkey in the yard,the oven in the house was circa 1930 so possibly the one but we still had to use it as nobody had money for new in those days we always thought the house was haunted.There is a picture on the Garston society site that shows arial view of garston docks showing the rows of terraces including Thomas st,  the rows on the left.        cheers John.  PS if you go on the yoliverpool site look for under the bridge there are some images on there

Offline ChrisB35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is of any help to anyone and I know I’m coming to this a bit late, but I’ve just found people in my family tree living at 10 Thomas Street, Garston from just after WW1 up to mid 1930’s. They were John Thomas Carter (1872-c1940) and his wife, Sarah Ann Carter (1866-1932). Sarah Ann was previously married to John Griffiths and was born Sarah Anna Horan. John Thomas Carter and Sarah were living in Woolton in 1911 and she was calling herself Carter but they didn’t marry until 1914. Sarah was buried at St Austin’s, Grassendale on Aigburth Road.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris - Sara Anna Horan was baptised in St Marys church Woolton - 2 miles from Garston...NO H at the end of Sara ...

Sara Anna Horan
Sex   Female
Birth Date   23 Oct 1866
Birthplace   Rodick St, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Father's Name   Jacobi Horan
Father's Sex   Male
Mother's Name   Maria Stevens Horan
Mother's Sex   Female
Event Type   Christening
Event Date   28 Oct 1866
Event Place   Woolton, Lancashire, England
Event Place (Original)   St Mary Woolton, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

would you like me to go to St Austins Graveyard to see if there is a headstone for her ??   obviously I am in Garston with a username like Garstonite ...lol
looking at your post mentioning Aigburth Rd - are you in the Garston,Liverpool area ...?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ChrisB35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying Garstonite.
I now live in Essex but was born in Liverpool and lived in Cranford Rd, just off South Mossley Hill Road, near Garston Park. I went to St Austin’s primary school and St Austin’s was our parish church.

Thanks for the offer re Sara(h)’s headstone. I do already have a photo of it on my Ancestry family tree, which I took on a visit back there.

Sara’s step mother Elizabeth (nee Wright) was my 2 x great grandmother. Elizabeth was first married at St Austin’s to John Wallace and they had a daughter, Rose soon after (my great grandmother).

I’m sure my Dad had no knowledge that his family were at St Austin’s, yet he’s buried there as well as Elizabeth his great grandmother and John Wright from Hale, Elizabeth’s father!

Rose married Henry Miller who was landlord of the Clock pub on the corner of Great Homer St. She sadly lost an eye opening a bottle of pop!

Good to have contact with a fellow Garstonite!

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Bennett Street boy myself ...