Author Topic: Completed; My brickwall; Grandparents  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: My brickwall; Grandparents
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 January 09 15:31 GMT (UK) »
True Geoff

Maybe i might find a few blue sky and a few sunset pieces and know they belong to different pictures  :)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 January 09 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I don't think 13 Newport was anything remarkable ................

I have found out that in 1946 the address was occupied by Mrs Goddard, so it's definatley a case of checking the pre and post war occupants for starters. It's too much to ask for Mrs Goddard to have lived her days out there but it might point to dates for a death ref somewhere.

I have also found two birth refs (surname Goddard, mmn Turner) during the 1930's in Lincoln, i have sent for one of them direct from Lincoln.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 January 09 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Just an update

The birth cert arrived and the mother was indeed Annie Turner, no mention of the Townsend name anywhere and an address on Monks Road but it is her. The 13 Newport address does come into things but it factors in after all the children were born.

She never did marry John Townsend but had been married previously, i managed to trace a grandson through Ancestry who has given me a brief outline of the life Annie led, the abandoned children, the lies on certificates, the 2nd marriage that wasn't and the one that was, numerous children by the different men in her life and their former wives, the addresses involved etc.

There is heaps to come from the contact including many photographs, including several of my birth father at various times.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed; My brickwall; Grandparents
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 January 09 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen

Glad you found out, even if it was pretty boring! ;)
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 January 09 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Oh i forgot to mention the 7 new half aunts and uncles and the dozens of new half cousins plus the Italian connection.

It's all pretty dull really ;D

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 January 09 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Oh i forgot to mention the 7 new half aunts and uncles

They should go well with "a half brother who thanks to modern medical techniques is now my half sister".  :D
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Christine-JT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 09 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen,

I found your posts REALLY interesting.  I'm a newbie on this site and found you indirectly through a google search on another aspect of my family.  Just to complicate things a little further.................

the very same James Townsend is my father and I am the 2nd born of 6 children within 'this family' - ifthis makes sense?!  Only 2 days ago I found a half-sister in Northants and find all this quite surprising!

I can help with further info but feel my brother (in Hampshire) has more info than I, he also attended the funeral of James.  We can probably shed a light on some of your blind alleys as there are strong connections to both Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

I still live in Lincoln, are you in Scotland?

Acaster
Goddard
Gough
Townsend
Turner

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 July 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
Christine,
yes as you have probably guessed we are half siblings so "Hello" from your likkle bruvva  :)

I have met our half sister in Northants, i used to live just a few miles from her but that was before i started researching my tree, so near and yet so far!! And yes, i now live in the Scottish Borders.

You can also add half neice to your new found family too, (i have a daughter who has just turned 16), she, along with my adoptive family still live in Lincolnshire and i still come "back home" for birthdays and xmas.

You won't be able to use the private message system yet (i think you have to make five posts on roots before it is available to you) but our Northants connection has e-mail, telephone and postal address for me should you want them at any time. For obvious reasons i won't post them here for all to see.

I have a few photographs of Jimmy and a couple of Uncle John but know next to nothing about him. We also share another uncle who died as a youngster in Lincoln in the 1920's, as far as i know there are no photographs of him though.

Offline Christine-JT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
Helloooooooooooooo!

Nice to hear from you - I feel quite emotional now!

It was a couple of days age that I googled the name of my mother and found quite old postings from SR (Northants) (unsure about what protocols are for confidentiality!) so I made initial contact and started looking further.  I CAN shed some light on the history but, as I spent many years away travelling and most of my siblings are spread far and wide (Lincoln, Lincolnshire, Hampshire, W.Mids and south east) contact has not always been easy but things have changed recently.  My younger brother has far more knowledge than I in this area so he could be a valuable source of information.

Can I see the images of father please?  I have little more than memories but I believe there are a few photographs of James/Jim/Jimmy around in the family.

Feel like I could go on forever!

Christine.
Acaster
Goddard
Gough
Townsend
Turner