Author Topic: 1911 census advice please  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census advice please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 January 09 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I think that if you click onto the TRANSCRIPT icon instead of the IMAGE icon when it comes up scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find the
address of the workhouse. 

Thank you Jean, found it now.

As I thought, Sarah was in the  Dartford workhouse and the three children Pretoria (May), Fred & Annie were in Manor Gate which, I believe, was the children's home associated with the workhouse.

If I contact the centre for Kentish studies again, would they possibly hold further information about this period in the workhouse. I have the information from 1914/15 when Sarah died there.

It seems at though the family had a hard life and I can understand more why my gran never talked to my Mum about her childhood very much.

cheers

dinie

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 January 09 10:46 GMT (UK) »
The Dartford institution is at RD43 SD3 ED28 which comes out in Wilmington.

Paul
This is the reference for the Manor Gate children's home.

The workhouse reference is at RD43 SD3 ED29.

I'm not sure at what age the children would move from Manor Gate to the main workhouse.

dinie
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 January 09 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure the address will be somewhere on the paperwork of the original image;  we will soon be given access to the other papers which are included in the original image price. 

It certainly should be but my gtgt grandad was in a workhouse and the address is not on the page.

I gather not, but there's more to come.

Currently, when you view an original page on the census, you are looking at one of the household schedules. The enumerators’ summary books are not available yet, but when they are (shortly after launch) you will be able to view up to eight extra pages that are associated with any household schedules you have paid for, at no extra cost.

There's a list of extra papers somewhere, but I can't find it at the minute.  It might be in the blog.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 January 09 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Paul

As Jean said earlier, when you find the person you want, click on the View Transcript button then scroll to the bottom of the page and the address & reference details are there.

That's how I found the children's home and workhouse refs.

I'm pleased to say I have located my original family and although most of them were in the workhouse/childrens home, William was living with his Mum's sister - so that's a whole new family I have found

cheers

dinie

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 October 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully, this is still of interest to you, my first post helping someone back.
I was also looking for Alexander Terrace in Swanley area. Turns out i t is Alexandra Terrace (long gone) which the helpful folks at Swanley historical society have stated, "Gone but not forgotten by many Swanley people are the rows of houses of Montague Road/ Castle Road/ Alexandra Terrace which were between the railway sidings and High Street, behind The Working Mens’ Club.  Known as ‘Do as you like Street’ occupants knew how to enjoy themselves, as shown in Keith’s photographs of street parties, despite severe overcrowding and the smell from the manure delivered to the nearby sidings from London." This extract from 1907 OS shows the location
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101428419.
As I am really struggling to find any more info about my great grandparents Isabella Howell and Harry Phillip WAYE (don't show up in census or electorals) anything you know about Alexandra Terrace greatly appreciated.
Paul
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady