Author Topic: In a bit of a pickle  (Read 5307 times)

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
In a bit of a pickle
« on: Saturday 12 February 05 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I am tearing my hair out over my great grandmother.  I have no idea where she originated from, but know she was born in 1876, her name was Jane Elizabeth BRYANT and her father was Henry BRYANT, a deal porter.

There are many possibilities for her birth registration, so I need to narrow it down.  I can't find her in ANY census.  I have traced the Jane Elizabeth BRYANT born in Knaresborough JFM 1876, whose father was Henry and its not her - in 1901 she was married off and still living in Yorkshire, whereas by then my Jane was in Islington and married to Frederick or George VERRIER (married 1895). 

I have searched in vain for her in 1881 and 1891 and cannot find anyone of vaguely the right details.  One possibility was a Jane, (Briant),  living with mother Jane (widow) and brother Daniel, but that was no good as the mothers husband was Bartholomew.

I can't find her once she becomes a VERRIER either. :(

I am desperate to get a start on her - can anyone help :)

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: In a bit of a pickle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 February 05 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear about your pickle ec.

Could you shed some light on birthplace (roughly?) and where Jane Elizabeth lived during her lifetime.  Any siblings?

Have you checked 1837online?

Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 February 05 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johnathan W

I have no reason to believe she was born anywhere but London (possibly Middx/Surrey) as her father was a Deal Porter which I believe was an occupation mainly in Surrey Docks (south of the river Thames).  After she was married she lived in Islington (where she was married)/Clerkenwell/St Pancras/Holborn area until probably around 1930 when she decamped to Hoxton.  I have no idea of any siblings.

I have checked the records at the FRC and if she was indeed born in London then there is an entry JFM 1876 Pancras which fits - I can't trace this one though going forward.  Thanks for helping

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 February 05 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do we have any details from the marriage certificate ie. address/witnesses?

I assume you can't find them in 1901 either so any details about Mr VERRIER from the certificate would also be useful ie. age/occupation/father's name & occupation etc..

Do we know of any children born prior to 1901?

What is the earliest full address that you have for the couple nearest to 1901 (execpt the marriage) ie. from one of the childrens' birth certifictes?

Casalguidi

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 February 05 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi

The marriage in 1895 - both were living at Broad Yard, Islington.  Marriage at St Peters Church in what is now Devonia Road.  Witnesses were F or A Boon and Alice Boon.  I believe they were friends as I have a baptism record for a child of Frederick and Alice Boon in the same church on the same day as one of mine (St Silas, Penton St).  I have tried tracking them down, but not much luck.

Mr VERRIER is down as George Frederick, 22 , Carman.  Father is George Frederick, Cabman.  I have a good idea on the VERRIER family prior to 1901 and have all the census images back to 1871.  This information leads me to believe that Mr VERRIER was younger than 22 - probably more like 18 - the same age as Jane was on the marriage cert.  I think he was actually Frederick George - this is how he appears on his childrens birth certs, but not entirely sure as he also seems to have had a brother called George ;D

Children - Frederick George (what else) b. 1895 and Mary Ann (known as Maud) b. 1899.  When Mary Ann was baptised 28 Dec 1899 the address was 4 James Gardens.  The next baptism I have is 1906, (Boon child baptised same day/ same church, St Silas)address Risinghill St where they seem to have remained (different numbers) for a good few years. 

Thanks for looking

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 February 05 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Nothing direct yet but could this be the BOONs:

1901 census

No. 1 Elliot Place, Islington (St Peter's)

Frederick BOON head mar 29 engineer's lab b.St Pancras
Alice wife 26 b.St Pancras
Rose dau 4 b.Islington
William son 2 b.Islington
John brother 17 engineer's lab b.St Pancras

Rg13/189 folio 5 page 1

Will keep looking

Casalguidi

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 February 05 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Could be Casalguidi - I have a baptism record for a Rosina Elizabeth Boon 1896 which could fit, father Frederick but the mother is down as Ellen Maud. ???  I also have some baptisms for children of Charles Edwin and Clara Louise Boon - same church same time period

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 February 05 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Here's a possibility from the 1881 census

Daniel Dobson abt 1818  Ilkley, Yorkshire, England Head  Ilkley   
Jane Dobson abt 1820  Burnfieldgil, Yorkshire, England Wife  Ilkley
George Dobson abt 1855  Ilkley, Yorkshire, England Son  Ilkley   
Mary Ann Dobson abt 1857  Leeds, Yorkshire, England Daughter  Ilkley
Henry Bryant abt 1855  Burley, Yorkshire, England Son  Ilkley   
Jane E. Bryant abt 1876  Knaresboro Granddaughter  Ilkley   

Henry Bryant is down as a Widowed son, possibly is he a son in Law really and married their daughter?  Occupation is a cab driver.

Kieran

Saunders, Curnow, Willcocks, Ginno, Hatt, Pleming, Mutton, A'lee, Robinson, Mullins, Reed, Dingle, Elphick, Shepherd, Rogers, Dyer, Pomeroy.

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 February 05 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casalguid

Thats the one I have traced that was born in Knaresboro - took me a while, but she was safely married off in Yorkshire by 1901.  She is on 1891 with Grandmother Jane and married in Knaresboro in 1893 - nice try though ;D