Author Topic: Michigan Passenger List Lookup.  (Read 12733 times)

Offline A and E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michigan Passenger List Lookup.
« on: Monday 09 February 09 15:36 GMT (UK) »
William George Henry Wright was a passenger to the Port of Sault Ste Marie, Michigan on the 24 Apr 1913 at the age of 16.
Thank you to the person who found this information and sent it to a friend of mine.
I am wondering if he was travelling alone? Also what year did he go to Canada.
 At the age of 3yrs he lived in Middlesbrough with his Stepfather and his Mother, Albert E Robinson and Mary, Elizabeth Robinson. I have been unable to find the parents after 1903.
William returned to England in 1916/17. Details on his War records as to him having lived in Toronto, Canada. But after the WW1 ended in 1918, I can find no further trace. Did he return to Canada.
Can anyone help with this search. I have been looking for the last 7yrs.
and I would be very grateful as to where to look next.

Offline kayceebee5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Passenger List Lookup.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 February 09 17:24 GMT (UK) »
In Ancestry there is a border crossing listed for William G H Wright from Canada to USA.
I do not have the subscription to check this further.
I am sure someone will be kind enough to check for you.

Kaycee.
Bell Nottinghamshire.
Leather Lancashire & Nottinghamshire.
Tysoe Oxfordshire,Lincolnshire & Nottinghamshire.
Crooks Lancashire.
Sanderson, Lindley & Spencer Nottinghamshire.
Hattin Oxfordshire & Staffordshire.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 February 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, April 1913

Wright, William G. H., 16, single, no occupation, nationality English, race English,

nearest relative in Canada his aunt, Mrs. Emily Eagan, 25 [could be 23 or 28] Monterey?, Toronto, Ontario.

It looks like he was travelling alone.  His final destination was Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.  Last permanent residence, Toronto.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 February 09 18:00 GMT (UK) »
There are two other border crossings that may relate to William G. H. Wright.

William George Wright, age 15, 27 Dec. 1912 at Buffalo, NY
William George Wright, age 15, candy maker, 24, Jan. 1913 at Niagara Falls, NY

The first is very difficult to read but I can see the words Middleboro, England.
The second mentions an aunt in Toronto, Jennie Kay, 19 Linton St., Hamilton, Ontario

If you think this is the right individual, I’ll try to make out the details.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 February 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »

I have found a WW1 British  military record for a William George Henry Wright on Ancestry. The record indicates he was married . If you would like this file you can PM me and I will forward it on to you. It is fairly long.If this is your ancestor you may find something in it to help with your search.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 02:53 GMT (UK) »
A and E, I'm a little confused about ages and relationships with this family. I am looking at the file Lilybell mentioned that is at Ancestry. You refer to his military file mentioning Toronto as this one does so it seems to be the same one. In the file it indicates he was born about 1892 while the border crossings that have been mentioned would give a date of birth of about 1897. Did he lie about his age? Also the military file has a place where it says his next of kin is Mrs. R. Wright but next to it, crossed out, his mother's name is said to be Lily Pearce(?), not Mary Elizabeth Wright Robinson (see attached image). Who was this Lily? Am I looking at the wrong file?

If you can clear up his age at least then it will be easier to track him down on passenger lists.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline A and E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday was the first time I have been onto RootsChat. I am so pleased with the replies.

Kaycee. Thank you. I hope to be able to join Accestry in the near future.

Erato. Thank you. This looks certain to be my W.G.H.Wright. He was born in Loftus, Middlesbrough in 1997. I know his Mother`s parents went to Toronto sometime in the early 1900`s. This was a Benjamin and Elizabeth Lowery. I can find no relative as of yet with the name Jennie Kay, from the list I have of the Lowery family.

Lilybell. Thank you for the offer. I have  a copy of the War records. This is how my search turned to Canada with William saying he was in Toronto.

Jacquie.  Also thank you. I will explain a little more about my seach for William and why the record is so confusing. I did not know what I could write on RootsChat. So here is what I have found.

William G.H Wright came back to England and joined the Army in 1915. He married  in Retford,Nottingham in 1916. On the marriage certificate he gave his age as 21yrs. When in fact he was only 18. His wife  was 27yrs and she already had two sons. He went to War and was discharged due to Shell Shock, Gassed and very poor eye sight. On his return home in went up to Middlesbrough to find work. He met another woman and married her. His legal wife went looking for him and he was arrested and sent to prison for 9months. All this information obtained from the local press. Head line, :Guilty of Bigamy at 20: Assises records at Kew,London missing for 1918. So I have found no further trace of him after 1918.
I have contacted relatives of his legal wife but they don`t know anything about him. His wife remarried in 1925. No trace of a death and no mention of him on his wife`s remarriage certificate.

As a result of the bigamist marriage my Mother was born. She was given away on the understanding that if her family wanted her back the family would have to pay 10s.6d [52p in new currancey] for every week they had kept her. She was given a new name and she died in 1973 never knowing her birth name or the reason she was given away. No legal adoption in those days.

In the paper William said his parents had died.  This must include his Step Father and his Mother.

William George Henry was born on 24.10.1897 Loftus in the district of Guisborough [near Middlesbrough] Yorkshire, England.

Thank you all very much. Aand E.

Offline A and E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Erato,
I have just found the Emily Eagan on a picture sent by a desendent of the Lowery Family who had never heared of William G.H. Wright. So this proves you have found the right person. All I have on Emily Eagan is Emily Daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Graham Lowery b 8.Feb.1888.Died 12.Dec 1967 Cobourg Northumberland Co, Ontario. Married a David Eagan b.1871 d.1928.
No further details known.
Just double checked. I have found a sister of Emily called Jane and in small writing the name Jinnie different spelling but this must be the same Aunt. b.1880 in Whitby, Yorkshire. Married Benjamin Kay in 1900 Middlesbrough, Yorks. Also may have married an unknown Page and was living in Hamilton,Ont.

The above information I received a few years ago from another research I did on William`s Mother.

Thank you once again.
Aand E.

Offline A and E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Jacquie,

Sorry I forgot to say I also saw the name Lily Pearce. I can find no one by this name so as it is crossed out it must have been a mistake on the record.
Thanks once again. AandE