Offline fred111

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Gt Gt Gandmother Isabella
    • View Profile
1871?
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, it's me again.
I'm still trying to sort out those Summervilles.
I have Mary & James Summervillle & some family on the 1861Census at 23 Cutt Bank, All Saints, Newcastle.
It seems Mary died in 1862, and James In 1878.
If that is the case, I can't find James Summerville born c1796 on the 1871 Census.
Can anyone sort this out, PLEASE?
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
CRAIG, RENNIE, WATSON, JAQUES & JAKES, WARDLAW, TWIZZELL, BRASS, NICHOLSON, SUMMERVILLE, ARCHER, LEARMOUTH, ANDERSON, BOAG, SLAYTER, NELSON, HARDY, RICHARDSON, CHICKEN, LOWDON, BROWN, LAWTON, ANGUS, DIXON    Northumberland
CALVIN, DEMPSEY, LYNN.     Antrim
NELLESS, YOUNGHUSBAND GREEN SCOTT DIXON Durham
PENRITH     Penrith
BANTICK HUBBARD CARTER      Suffolk
LYNN UNICK CROW ASHERCRAFT JOHNSON CRAWFORD LOWDEN   USA

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Could this be him? It says unmarried but he could have been widowed.

RG10/5090/55/18 Newcastle

James Somerville, 74, Cordwainer, born Scotland

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

That chap seems to be there in 1861  - Liz's man was a Millwright in 1861 born Northumberland - if I have the right record

Trish

Edit: Have you checked for any children Liz - married daughters? He may be living with them - I don't easily see him but could be the spelling & my searching  :(
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 09 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure of the death? There is a James Summerville died Dec 1861 Newcastle T  10b 58
No age is given - I assume this was just before age was included on the index? The one in 1878 does look good for age - but could it be the Scotsman?

Apologies if you have already sorted this out

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 February 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
It seems Mary died in 1862, and James In 1878.

hello again Liz  :)

This is a bit vague. As trish says, are you absolutely certain that the 1878 is your James? Have you got the death certificate?  There is a good possibility that it could be the cordwainer that genjen found - their ages were very similar.

Jennifer

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Liz,

I think Trish and Jennifer's case has a lot of merit.

I have James's death as 22 Dec 1878- ( via Summervilles descendants in Canada) and I may have passed this info on to you.
Anyway I shall have a go at resolving the issue.

Your Morpeth-born James, wright,  lived at Cut Bank in Byker... within Parish of all Saints.

The Scotland-born shoemaker lived in Queen St which lay in the Parish of St Nicholas ( but almost on the parish border with All Saints) - on Folio 53 - not 55

So in the next few days I shall try to look up parish burial records for these two James- one in 1861, t'other in 1878 - hopefully to resolve the question.

Michael Dixon

PS For C1871 Edward Lennox, son-in-law of Morpeth James, is at 5002-11-15, transcribed by Ancestry as something like Seanor.

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline fred111

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Gt Gt Gandmother Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 February 09 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once more for all your help and interest.
Good old Rootschat detectives at it again.
I have found many Summervilles of varions spellings around Newcastle, Long Benton, Tynemouth, Ponteland etc. Some of the families have the same first names for the children, which makes me think that they may be cousins.
However, I didn't think the James S born in Scotland was the same James born in Morpeth. Geordie Census takers are unlikely to confuse the two, even though the rest of the country seems to think when you mention Newcastle "Oh that's near Scotland, isn't it?"
(I read a paper at the weekend that said that the Welsh were as pround of Offa's Dyke as the Scotts were of The Roman Wall!)
A cordwaier - shoe-maker would have been a skilled occcupation, and not one which you could just take up. There is no suggestion that he his living with or by someone who could be teaching him.
James and Mary had lived with Margaret and Edward Lennox up until the 1861 C. I didn't some how think that he would end up living on his own with so many family about.
I'm afraid I did presume the date of Morpeth James's death. I haven't as yet got a certificate.
Liz
No wonder I couldn't find Edward on the 1871C if his name was so mis-spelt!
CARTER     Newcastle
CRAIG, RENNIE, WATSON, JAQUES & JAKES, WARDLAW, TWIZZELL, BRASS, NICHOLSON, SUMMERVILLE, ARCHER, LEARMOUTH, ANDERSON, BOAG, SLAYTER, NELSON, HARDY, RICHARDSON, CHICKEN, LOWDON, BROWN, LAWTON, ANGUS, DIXON    Northumberland
CALVIN, DEMPSEY, LYNN.     Antrim
NELLESS, YOUNGHUSBAND GREEN SCOTT DIXON Durham
PENRITH     Penrith
BANTICK HUBBARD CARTER      Suffolk
LYNN UNICK CROW ASHERCRAFT JOHNSON CRAWFORD LOWDEN   USA

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 February 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »
However, I didn't think the James S born in Scotland was the same James born in Morpeth. Geordie Census takers are unlikely to confuse the two, even though the rest of the country seems to think when you mention Newcastle "Oh that's near Scotland, isn't it?"

Hi Liz  :)

There's no suggestion they are one and the same person. In the 1861 census there were two James Summervills living in Newcastle.  One was your James, aged 65, and the other was the unmarried shoemaker from Scotland, aged 64.

Your James and Mary are on the 1861 census, but not on the 1871 census. Therefore it seems likely that your James died in the December quarter of 1861, as suggested by Trish, and Mary died in 1862.

James Summerville, bachelor shoemaker from Scotland, appears in the 1871 census, and the 1878 death is most likely his.

Hopefully Michael will be able to confirm this when he looks at the parish records.

Jennifer

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 February 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Probably best to ignore my original suggestion of the cordwainer from Scotland. I think I have just confused the issue.

( But please, please, don't class me amongst the people who don't know where Scotland starts and finishes! ;D
 I have had much the same problem all my life with those who think that, being born in Middlesbrough, I must be a Geordie! :o :o :o)

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson