Author Topic: Mary Pardoe  (Read 12884 times)

Offline IforWales

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Pardoe
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 September 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
Noted - thanks muchly.

Offline marypadoeggggg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have just joined. I put into google photo of mary hibbs grave and this site came up.
Mary Pardoe is my GGGGG- Grandmother. Her daughter Ann Scott,( father Edward Scott.)
is my GGGG-grandmother. If any one can help with Mary`s birthplace and her parent, that would be great. I am just staring out and it is so facinating. Also the book that was made available to decendants, can I apply for one?. Thank you. Jan
PS, I know Mary and Peter Hibbs buried Laughtondale Cemetery NSW. Photo of Peters Grave. on The Discovery and Exploration of Australia.

Offline geoff3d

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 June 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
ref the Barlow mention, I have a Frances (fanny) Pardoe married to Robert Barlow of Brewood, 28, Ag Lab Fanny, 30 in 1841.
Any connection to Mary?
Geoff
Noah Davis Pain b 1813 m Eliza Woodall, 1835 Tipton
Brother Thomas Pain Davis b1814 m Sarah Kesterton
Father William, Mother Mary, Rowley Reg
James b 1833 m Frances Barlow
Thomas b 1835 m Esther Burchel
Jane b 1837 m William Evans Dec 1857
Maria b 1839 m Richard Attwell 1863 Pensylvania
Joseph b 1845 M Mary Hinton
Sylvia b 1848 m Isaiah Skidmore 1865
Caroline 1848 SEEKING
Charlotte b 1850. SEEKING
Noah Davis 1851 m Annie Dickins 1878
Rosehanna b 1854 M James Thornton, 1875
Mary Ann 1860 SEEKING

Offline Dillon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 June 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
My father has typed up a family tree for Mary Pardoe but unfortunately it won't load on this site. I'd need an  address to load it to. Mine is louise - dillon at hotmail dot com Reply through this and I can respond. Mary's headstone shows she died 19 May 1844 Hawkesbury River NSW Australia. Did anyone check the Birmingham Archives for the Warwickshire Assizes Court Rolls to discover Mary's crime that lead to her transportation? (Possibly listed as Mary Barlow)

Offline itsallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Pardoe and Peter Hibbs
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 January 13 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I compiled a list of the descendants of Mary Pardoe and Peter Hibbs and published the result in a book entitled "Sailing On... The Hibbs Line" in September 1995.  I have been reading through the posts on this thread and:
1) There is no proof that Mary Pardoe and Peter Hibbs were ever married.  A Reverend Johnson visited Norfolk Island in November 1791 and "married over a hundred couples".  These couples were never named.  Peter and Mary were most likely included but there is no proof.
2) The ship that brought Mary to Botany Bay was the "Lady Juliana".  I have seen it listed as the "Lady Julian".  It is now referred to as "The Floating Brothel" in a book written by Sian Rees a few years ago.  The ship took one day short of one year to travel from England to Australia.  Several children were conceived (and many born) aboard ship.  Mary's daughter Ann Scott (father: sailor Edward Scott) was born 6 days before arrival.
3) A great number of people have tried to find proof that Peter Hibbs was a cabin boy on James Cook's "Endeavour".  Those very same people and more have failed to find proof.  The whole futile search was sparked by an off-the-cuff remark made by his son, also named Peter, to a report from a Windsor (NSW) newspaper in 1890.

I have been unable to find absolute proof of the life of Mary Pardoe in England.  Some call her Barlow, some even Pardeaux and try to make her French!
Maunder, Mander, Maunders, Manders worldwide - anywhere, anytime

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Had a look at her convict records.The Australian Convict Index has her real name as Mary Barlow alias Pardoe convicted Warwick arrived Lady Juliana age 20 in 1790.Died 1844 State NSW.
The settlers file for Gosford has her first marriage to Peter Hibbs 5.11.1791 Norfolk Island  and her second to Edward Scott.she arrived on the Lady Juliana 5.11.1790.Born Worcestershire 1772.Died 19.5.1844 Lower Hawkesbury NSW.Buried Wiseman's Ferry.Convict.Children George,Peter,Peter Kennedy Hibbs,Joseph ,William,Sarah and Richard.
Peter's entry born 24.1.1762 Swanage farmer seaman arrived on Sirius 26.1.1788.Died 12.9.1847 Lower Hawkesbury NSW.Buried 14.9.1847 Wiseman's Ferry.Parents George Hibbs and Mary Kenney married 25.12.1760 Kent.
Her death certificate may just possible name her parents.
Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 10:27 GMT (UK) »
1828 census NSW
Joseph Hibbs 19  B6?or Bb
Peter Hibbs 64 CJ Sirius 1788 labourer Lower Ports Head
Mary 56  FS Lady Juliana 1790
George 34 B6
Peter 26 Bb
William 24 B6
Richard 21 Bbfarmer
Ciderdrinker

Offline itsallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello ciderdrinker...
You said: 
The settlers file for Gosford has her first marriage to Peter Hibbs 5.11.1791 Norfolk Island  and her second to Edward Scott.

+++ I have been researching the life and times of Peter Hibbs (and therefore, I guess, Mary Pardoe) for more than 25 years.  I will say it again... there is no official EVIDENCE anywhere that Mary Pardoe married ANYONE at all.  She had a child Ann Scott who was born six days before Mary Pardoe arrived in Australia.  Ann's father was a sailor (Edward Scott) on the ship.  Edward Scott did not stay in Australia. He was on the ship (Lady Julian/a) when it sailed away.  I have been told ad-nauseum that Mary Pardoe married Peter Hibbs on Norfolk Island on 5th November 1791 and I have challenged at least a hundred people to point me towards official documentation (church records etc?).  NONE has been been forthcoming.  The ONLY official record is that Reverend Johnson visited Norfolk Island and married over a hundred couples on 5th November 1791.  Just who those hundred happy couples were will NEVER be known.  Peter and Mary? Probably - but only probably - nothing more.

You said:she arrived on the Lady Juliana 5.11.1790.

+++  I think you will find that it arrived 3.6.1790.

You said: Buried Wiseman's Ferry

+++ She is buried beside Peter Hibbs at Laughtondale NSW.

You said: Children George,Peter,Peter Kennedy Hibbs,Joseph ,William,Sarah and Richard.

+++ Children: Ann (Scott, known as Hibbs) 1790, George 1792, Peter 1794-1798, Peter KENNEY 1800, William 1804, Sarah 1806, Richard 1808, Joseph 1811.

You said: Peter's entry born 24.1.1762 Swanage

+++ Birth date unknown.  BAPTISED 24.1.1792.  Buried at Laughtondale NSW 14.9.1847

--- Allen
Maunder, Mander, Maunders, Manders worldwide - anywhere, anytime

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning.
I'm just quoting the settlers records for Gosford.Obviously I haven't checked it out line by line looking for supporting evidence.I was just trying to help with records you may not have seen .
Really, the important point was that she was born in Worcestershire in 1772 according to the document but I thought it best to report it in full so you can make up your own mind and I didn't create a false impression.
I do know that Edward Scott wasn't a second husband and was the sailor who fathered her baby and that she died as Mary Hibbs on the Australian death index but to mention a selective part of the documentation I felt could give a false impression of its veracity and relability.
Ciderdrinker