Author Topic: Cummings Of Ballycarton.  (Read 28465 times)

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cummings Of Ballycarton.
« on: Saturday 18 April 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I hope someone can help me . I am trying to trace my  Limavady ancestors who were: James Cummings ,Ballycarton who married Elizabeth Mc Dermott,Duncrun in Bellarena Church ,Tamlaghtard on 22nd August,1871. James' Father was also James while Elizabeths' Father was Charles Mc Dermott.

James had two siblings Elizabeth who married John Coghlan in  Bellarena Church,Tamlaghtard 3rd February 1877. and Daniel who marriedMargaret Mullins in the same church on 27th September, 1874.
I have obtained the above information after a long trawl through emerald Ancestors website.
What I am trying to establish are the 1)Name and maiden surname of their mothers.
2)Where can I go to obtain further information about where they may be buried as I hope to visit Derry & Limavady later this year and I would like to visit their graves to pay my respects.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Summerhill.

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
  • we don't find ancestors... they find us
    • View Profile
Re: Cummings Of Ballycarton.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 April 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Summerhill,my Grandfather James McGill also  lived in a mountain house in Ballycarton and in the 1901 census there was a Thomas Cummins living there also shown as "head of his household" there is a strong possiblity that your ancestors could have been buried either in St Aidans RC church if Catholic or Aghanloo Parish Church if not.
Magilligan /Ballycarton is a beautiful place and has been designated as an area of outstanding beauty
I visit the area and will have a look at headstones in both graveyards whilst there.
you could also make an appointment to see both churchs priest's or Church's secretaries
Regards to search for records
Gerald 
McGill/Somers/McIvor in Co Derry.
Lynch Co Dublin
Morgan / Ross / Curoe/Roberts in Co Down

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 April 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that gem of information Edenreaghbeag.

What I do know is that James Cummings & his New bride Elizabeth moved to Derry after their marriage in 1871, where James worked as a pork curer. They Lived in Market St. Derry where my great Grand Mother Anne Elizabeth was born in 1874.  They also lived in Chamberlain Street at the time of Anne Elizabeth's Marriage to Patrick Campbell in 1899. I have contacted Derry City cemetery to see if they were buried there. But they have no record.They did suggest that they may have been buried with their "own people" back in the  Limavady area. As I said I am also trying to locate James Cummings mothers Maiden Name and also that of great great Granny MC Demott's name and maiden surname.  All this information has been pieced together using the PDF Certificates I ordered from Emerald Ancestors.  It is a family legend that their were a few protestant relatives although my family have always been catholic.  I live in the Sunny southeast of Ireland and I am hoping to go up to Derry this summer and it would be lovely to visit the ancestral area and pay my respects if I can.
Regards ,
Summerhill.

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
If you go to the General registrar of Northern Ireland's web site you can download pdf copies of application forms for BMDs
I will be in St Aidans AGAIN next weel and will look for Cummins graves if any they could also be buried in St Canice's RC Cemetrey in Roemill Road Limavady where my Ballycarton Grandparents are from
Lynch Co Dublin

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 April 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
Lynch Co Dublin

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 April 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thank You so much for replying. You are very kind.
Regards.
SUmmerhill

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi in the Griffiths Valuation there is a Charles McDermott shown  in Duncrun in fact there are two listed possibly Father and son click on the below link

www.rootschat.com/links/06n1

Moderator's Comment: URL modified, as it was too long. See tips here, to avoid this:
Topic: Shrinking Very Long Website Links / Topic: Post too W--I--D--E!
Lynch Co Dublin

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 May 09 21:44 BST (UK) »
Delighted to get that Griffiths Valuation EDenreaghbeg you are an Angel.
Thank you so much,now at least I have something more concrete.

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Summerhill we have a result !  Patrick Died 14th December 1916 last address was number 72 Great James Street Derry  just a few yards across the street from the Famous St Eugene's Cathedral

I will take a picture of the front of the house and send it via email if you wish feel free to pm me
 Gerald
Lynch Co Dublin