Author Topic: Visit to Clonakilty  (Read 10419 times)

Offline suep968

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Visit to Clonakilty
« on: Sunday 19 April 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
We are planning a visit to Ireland hopefully later in the year.  Where can I get maps to find Richmond Farm, Clonakilty and the townland of Richfordstown?  Where would be the best place to search for census information.  My great grandfather James Nagle lived at Richmond Farm with his parents Patrick and Honora Nagle and his siblings.  After his father died around 1907 he and most of his siblings left Ireland after the eldest child Mary inherited the farm.  I have a copy of a letter addressed to my great aunt from my great great grandmother in the 1920's with her address written as Richfordstown, Clonakilty.  Will I be able to find anything with this info or do I need more?  I am assuming the family still lived at Richmond Farm when the 1901 census was taken and that my great great grandmother was living at Richfordstown when the 1911 census was taken.  I have found a death record on the LDS site around the time my great great grandfather died and I am hoping to send for the death certificate to confirm whether or not it is him.  My great great grandparents were catholic and were married in February 1864 at Ross Carberry, how would you go about searching for their birth/baptism in parish records, how do you know where to start?

Sue

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Clonakilty
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Civil registration of Catholic marriages started 1864, your Patrick Nagle married 1864 Clonakilty registration district, Volume 5 page 104

You can order the cert at:

www.groireland.ie

Brendan

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

This may be Patrick or his father Patrick

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Offline suep968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the info.  It does indeed look like the Nagles I am looking for.  The birth info is very interesting.  I know my great grandfather was one of eight living siblings but have no idea how many children my great great grandparents had in total.  I suppose people never spoke much about the children they lost in infancy.  I had no idea about either Margaret or Ellen.  As far as we know the living siblings were Mary, Ann, Norah, John, Richard, James, Con and another son whose name is not known.  Mary was the eldest born in Dec 1864, John was born in 1875, James was born in 1877 and Richard was born in 1879.  So far I have been unable to find any info on the others.

Is your info from the 1901 census or another source?

As you can probably tell I haven't yet been to Ireland to do any research.

Sue

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I will give you a few resources:

Griffiths Valuation 1952

http://ams2-aai-web-1.anu.net/griffith-valuation/index.xml

You can search by placename or family name

Irish BMD index 1864-1858

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

Another resource:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Newspaper archive, for Cork use Southern Star, there are a few mentions of your Nagles, after you get the first search result you can then sub search under that result:

ie.  Rathbarry when tou get the results, search again using Nagle

http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/

Happy hunting

Brendan

Offline suep968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brendan.

The griffiths valuation link is really good.  I think it is definitely Patricks father my great great great grandfather who is the tenant and it also looks likely that a tenant of the same man a bit lower down the page could also be my great great great grandfather John Donovan the father of Honora Donovan.

I haven't had much luck with the newspaper link, I am assuming you can only get info on there if you subscribe, is that correct?

Sue

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

You can try the free search, but you have to subscribe to get the full view, I found a few obits which listed loads of relations.

The following from Rosscarbery & Clonakilty using Donovan as the maiden name, I wonder is James, Patrick's brother, did they marry sisters?

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Brendan

Offline suep968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 14:07 BST (UK) »
Looks like an interesting puzzle to try and unravel.

I reckon the birth at the bottom of Patrick Nagle could possibly be the son of Patrick and Honora.  I know it's listed as Norry but we all know spellings can vary greatly on records.  He was quite possibly the first born son named after both the father and grandfather.  I think this requires a bit of further digging.

Thanks for all your help any further suggestions you may have are most welcome.

Sue

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I think your Richard was still living in Clonakilty 1914

http://www.failteromhat.com/guy/clonakilty.php

Brendan

PS Hanora could also be Norry