Author Topic: McKee/McGees from Clare, Armagh  (Read 3765 times)

Offline sendraguy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKee/McGees from Clare, Armagh
« on: Saturday 09 May 09 15:04 BST (UK) »
The 1911 Census of England has revealed that my family came not from County Clare but Clare, Armagh.

My g/grandfather and his family moved to the north east of England in the 1870s. He was James Mc Kee, b 1825 and his wife was Mary Jane, b 1827.

They moved to Gateshead with their sons David b 1863 and Thomas b 1866 ( my grandfather )
For some reason they then adopted the name Mc GEE which remained with the family ever since.

I'd love to visit Clare and the area surrounding and I wonder if anyone could help me with where to start my researches.

David McGee
Milburn, McKee, Sellers, Wilkinson, Hamilton, McGowan, Turnbull, Eyres, Hanson, Catlow, Hallam.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKee/McGees from Clare, Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 May 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to earlier post under Co. Clare with a bit more detail:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=379638.0

I've locked that topic and replies can be kept together on this thread to avoid duplication.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 May 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
David,
         I did a parent search on the IGI, part of familysearcg.org and found two births of a Thomas McKee to James McKee and Mary Jane Hamilton. I assume the first Thomas died. One was born on 1 Feb 1864 in Tanderagee District Armagh and the other on 21 Jan 1866 at Markethill.
         On a subscription site, Emerald Ancestors I found the Marriage of James McKee to Mary Jane Hamilton on 17 Oct 1848 In Clare Presbyterian Church, Newry.
         The couple probably had other children but as civil registration of births was not required until 1864 you will have to rely on Church records.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline sendraguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 May 09 18:52 BST (UK) »
I'm indebted to you for the promptness and detail of your reply. And knocked out, too!
This conundrum has puzzled us in the family for years. Thomas McGee, my grandfather, could neither read nor write. I was banking everything on the 1911 census, in his wife's hand, revealing where he actually came from. And she had written 'Co Clare'  I'm not sure they communicated too well! But to be fair he was only 7 or 8 when he came to England.

The other mystery was the change of name to McGee. The 1881 England census shows 50 families, 200 people with the name McGee in and around Gateshead, but the name McKee hardly appears at all. If this James McKee is indeed my g/grandfather, why the change of name?

I went to school with kids called McArdle, McConville, McCourt, McKelvey.....so it's all falling into place now. I realised I had a northern name but of course McGees can be found around Ireland. You have given me some great leads. Once again, many thanks.

DM
Milburn, McKee, Sellers, Wilkinson, Hamilton, McGowan, Turnbull, Eyres, Hanson, Catlow, Hallam.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 May 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
David,
         I believe that it is important to realise that spelling of names was not fixed until the late 1800s. What was written depended very much on what the enumerator thought he heard, Mckee and McGee with a thick N. Ireland accent could confuse and of course the level of the enumerators spelling. If one was used to several McGees in an area he may have assumed that an Irish McKee was McGee.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline mckeeje

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I believe we might have a connection.
I have a James McKee in my family tree born in 1825, son of my 3rd Great Grandfather Edward McKee, and brother of my 2nd Great Grandfather Robert who migrated to Victoria in 1856
It's a puzzle what happened to all the McKee's in the Ballyshiel/Clare area. 
My guess is they all went to Australia and America at the time of the potato famine, any looks like some to England.
I'd like to connect with you, as this might solve a lot of puzzles.
John McKee
Melbourne Australia

Offline mckeeje

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Also of interest is the attached Marriage Certificate which also verifies the Marriage of Robert McKee and Mary Jane Hamilton on 17th October 1848.
regards
John McKee

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 17:57 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat   :)

It's a puzzle what happened to all the McKee's in the Ballyshiel/Clare area. 

The townlands of Ballysheil Beg and Ballysheil More - note the correct spelling.
https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/orior-lower/ballymore/ballysheil-beg/
https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/orior-lower/ballymore/ballysheil-more/

Also of interest is the attached Marriage Certificate which also verifies the Marriage of Robert McKee and Mary Jane Hamilton on 17th October 1848.

The attached file is a transcription of the official marriage record.

Marriage of JAMES MCKEE & MARY JANE HAMILTON
in 1848
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Banbridge
Returns Year   1848
Returns Quarter   1
Returns Volume No  2
Returns Page No  422

You can purchase for €4.00, a photocopy of an entry in any register from the General Register Office.  See:
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo